Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel WIPs WIP Rose – Step-By-Step Demo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    SammyH

Thanks to Stephie20, we have this lovely peach rose from the WC Image Library for our demo. :angel:

I will be doing a 7″x10″ image on a 11″x14″ piece of Crescent 110 weight illustration board. I’m using this board just because it was in my studio and I thought it is thick enough to support this work. I was wrong, it warped a little with the application of wet media. You should use any type of paper you choose. I will use a 2″ mat to fit an 11″x14″ frame.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Sam/Sammy :heart:

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Oil Pastel Society Member www.oilpastelsociety.com
        My Blog www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

SammyH

First I taped the edges of the board with artist tape. Artist tape is easier to remove and usually doesn’t do any damage to the surface. I did this so it will have a finished look. If someone buys this piece and decides to remat it, it should look finished. Also, this tape gives me a place to hold it and when the tape is removed, my OP fingerprints will be removed also. The third reason is so that the wet media does not get onto the multi-plied edge of the board and cause it come apart.

Using a mixture of white, yellow, orange and red acrylic paint, I painted the surface finishing off with a sponge roller for a smooth finish. It would be good if it were a little lighter but this will work.

I drew the rose on an inexpensive paper that takes erasing well. When the peach paint was completely dry (acrylics dry quickly), the rose was transferred onto the peach surface using white transfer paper. If you don’t have that, you can rub white soft pastel on the back of the drawing for the transfer. I taped the drawing onto the surface with removeable tape to keep in from shifting. You can buy removeable tape in office supply stores.

Now I painted the bg with dark green acrylic. This was a mixture of Hooker’s Green, Thalo Blue and Alizarin Crimson which was mixed on the surface and not on the palette (paper plate). Your acrylic should not be thick or it will leave brush strokes that you’ll have to deal with later. It should not be too watery or it will be transparent. If that happens, put on another coat. Go around the edges of the rose carefully to make it easier later when you bring the bg green up to the edges of the finished rose.

When it was completely dry, I painted on a layer of clear acrylic primer, again using the sponge roller.

Pat Isaac

Thanks so much for doing this Sammy. You are off to a great start and I am going to stickie it. I find the underpainitng process interesting.

Pat

SammyH

These are the supplies I thought I would use. Holbein comes in sets of 5 values. I selected Vermilion, Scarlet, Hansa Yellow, Oxide Yellow, Antique Orange, Raw Sienna, Raw Umber, Sap Green and Deep Green. Later, I added Non-Color which is actually a gray with a slight bluish cast.

I also later added a few more Senns which include White, Coral, Orange Ochre, Chrome Brown, Orange, Flesh Ochre, Greyed Green, Moss Green and Pine Green

The only two Caran D’ache (CD) are Cream and Granite Rose which I didn’t use.

The little white jar contains mineral oil. Sometimes the OPs don’t wipe off of a tool well so I dip it into the oil and the OPs come off easily. This happens most often when using CDs because they are harder and have a lot of wax. I like using the CD Cream, however, and adding the softer OPs on top.

Also pictured is the shirt I wore while painting. Let me explain. It is important that all OPs, tools, pencils and fingers be keep clean. It is easy to transfer a color to the wrong place if not. I started out using terry washclothes to wipe things off but found that tiny pieces of lint got transferred from the cloth to the tool and then to my painting. It’s not easy to remove lint from the work without messing it up.

I then switched to jersey from old tee-shirts. I was always dropping those on the floor and searching for them. So, I began using large pieces of jersey and pinning them on the front of me and just wiping tools on my person. Finally, I realized that the free tee-shirts I get every time I make a order from my online low-carb store would do the job. I wear one of those when I work with OPs and wipe my tool on the front of me. Now you know what a slob I am. :smug: :smug:

Also, I keep wet wipes handy for when all my finger tools are dirty. I keep an empty container too. After using a wipe, I put it in the empty container catching a corner of it on the little slot at the top and I use the same wipe many times before discarding.

Last, are the colour shapers and a vinyl eraser. That vinyl eraser was the only tool I had for my first OP painting. You’ll see that I start out using it but put it aside. The color shapers and fingers do a better job.

SammyH

When preparing the underpainting, the last step in to apply clear Colorfix Primer over the peach and dark green acrylic. I’m afraid that I didn’t make that clear.

Pat Isaac

This is going great, Sammy. I had to laugh as I have an apron that I wear and it is getting very covered as I also wipe my OPs and tools on it.

Pat

pumkin54

Yay! Thanks very much for this, Sammy. Hurray for WIPs and demos. They’re the reason I started haunting this forum. I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

One question about using t-shirts and aprons. Do you wash them separately from the rest of your clothes? I wonder if the OPs might spread to your “good” clothes in the wash.

[FONT=Century Gothic] pumk[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]i[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]n [FONT=Century Gothic]
                                Instagram | DeviantArt | Twitter

[/B][/COLOR]

Pat Isaac

:lol: :lol: Actually, I don’t wash mine. Just let the OPs build up.

Pat

SammyH

Pumkin,
                                        I wash my tees every week with some old clothes like my sweaty walking and workout clothes. The OPs have never contaminated the other clothing and most of it washes out of the tees. I never thought about just letting it build up. Maybe the tees would get stuff enough that I could stand them up in the corner of the studio. :lol: :lol:

I will post some of the OP application process early tomorrow morning. I’m glad you’re interested.

SammyH

Pumkin,

I should have mentioned that if you wash tees that you use to wipe OPs on, don’t put them in a load with towels or anything that produces a lot of lint. I did that once, and struggled with getting fuzz and lint into my work.

Pat Isaac

I haven’t found that my apron stands alone yet…but I think it would take a lot. In art school my smock with the oil paint did stand alone….:lol
                                                Pat

SammyH

Sorry about the delay in posting the WIP. We have been surrounded by thunderstorms all day long. I had to shut down this morning and each time I came back online, the thunder would make it’s presence known. I wasn’t on for more than a couple minutes just now and it’s roaring out there again. Hopefully, it will be better in the morning.

Scarefishcrow

SAMMY- Thanks so much for doing this! I am pulling up the proverbial chair to watch. I love the detail shots and you can’t give too much detail for me!!!

Been trying to figure out what to paint first when my studio is finished and while I am definitely out of my “comfort zone” with florals, I love your rose painting and have some lovely RI’s in my collection I want to do.

If I can catch on enough, then maybe I will innaugurate my new studio with a Rose painting!!!!

Bill
                                                        :heart: :clap: :music: :clap: :heart:

BILL -- GUIDE for Oil Pastel (OP) ______[/COLOR][/COLOR]
                                                        [FONT=Arial Narrow]OP LINKS [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]: [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
                                                        Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. Van Gogh
                                                        DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR](Various)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

SammyH

Pat, I hope that you saved that art school smock. What a great studio decoration that would make.

Bill, welcome to this demo. Glad that you’re interested.

No thunder or lightning out there right now. In fact, there is a yellow glow on the lawn. Wonder what that could be???

I am about to post some of the applications of OPs. I’ll do the best I can but the old brain isn’t in the best of shape right now. Yesterday morning, I woke up at 4:20 a.m. and then this morning at 3:30. I always have trouble sleeping if I let my sugar get out of control. You can believe it will be in control today!!

Okay, here we go!!!

SammyH

Starting with the curled petal at the upper left, I filled in the whole triangular area with Caran D’ache (CD) cream. I didn’t go up to the very edge but used a chisel-shaped colour shaper to push the color to the edges and smoothed the top edge with a vinyl eraser (you can use your chisel here, too). Than I added reds, orange and yellows. Since these colors will be mixed with the cream, you can add a lot of color.

The second picture shows the first application of color. I added color several times until I got the shades and values that I wanted. Blend the color with the chisel color shaper and/or your figure. You will not get the color outside the petal if you start at the top and drag in and start at the bottom to drag out. You’ll pull the warm colors into the white and vice versa. It’s like a balancing act. Keep adding color, pushing the color to the edges with the color shaper (CS), dragging and mixing color until you’re satisfied.

When you’re dragging colors along an edge, put your finger on the edge and follow the shape of it attempting not to drift into the surrounding area. If, however, you go over the line :eek: :eek: :eek: that’s easy to fix. Wipe it off with a paper towel,

My rose will not look exactly like the reference and yours won’t look like mine.

In the last photo, you’ll see me using a white pencil to straighten out the top edge. I like the Caran D’ache Pablo CP best but you can use whatever you have, preferably and oil based pencil.

Some important facts about using CPs with OPs.

1. You must wipe off the little pieces of saw dust left on the pencil after sharpening. If you don’t those little bits of wood will get stuck in you OPs. When I work with CP, I keep a cloth on my thigh and wipe the pencil there every time I sharpen it.

2. If you use the CP in an area where there is no OP, it will make little pencil crumbs. These also will get stuck in your OPs. Blow as much of this away as possible and then lightly touch the crumbs with a pencil or CS until it clings so that you can remove it.

3. If you use the CP in an area where there is OP coverage, press lightly. If you keep going over it lightly the color will transfer. If you press hard, you will just remove the OPs.

4. After you apply the CP, that color can be blended in with the OPs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.