Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing just one yellow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Patrick1

If you had to go the rest of your life with just one yellow, which would it be?

My first thought would be an opaque or semi-opaque light to mid yellow like Bismuth Yellow or Hansa Yellow Opaque, or a good, artist-grade Cadmium Yellow hue (for me, the good ones are good enough…others will surely disagree).

But without having a highly transparent yellow like Indian Yellow (whichever pigments it is composed of), PY128, Nickel Azo Yellow, or even a highly transparent yellow iron oxide, some deep & rich color mixes would not be possible.

So, if you had to choose just one, which would it be and why?

Mythrill

If you had to go the rest of your life with just one yellow, which would it be?

My first thought would be an opaque or semi-opaque light to mid yellow like Bismuth Yellow or Hansa Yellow Opaque, or a good, artist-grade Cadmium Yellow hue (for me, the good ones are good enough…others will surely disagree).

But without having a highly transparent yellow like Indian Yellow (whichever pigments it is composed of), PY128, Nickel Azo Yellow, or even a highly transparent yellow iron oxide, some deep & rich color mixes would not be possible.

So, if you had to choose just one, which would it be and why?

I wouldn’t like to ever make this choice, since I love ochres, but if I had to, I would go with Bismuth Lemon (PY 184). The greenish cast of these yellows is useful, and hard to simulate – but you can simulate a middle and deep yellow by mixing a lemon yellow with some magenta, like PR 122.

Gigalot

In oil I have PY32, Strontium Yellow paint. I can drop everything except it. Even Yellow Ochre, I use so much!
                Pigment of this paint comes from Aerospace industry. Therefore, it has aircraftsman quality with affordable price :D

llawrence

Some may think me crazy, but I’m going to bite the bullet and go with yellow ochre. It’s absolutely the yellow I would miss the most if I didn’t have it. I now pronounce it indispensable!

yellow_oxide

Oh, I don’t know, maybe some form of yellow iron oxide… ;)

It would have to be the right one though, since there’s so many varieties. Some are too dull to work like that and are more brown than yellow. Transparent yellow oxide, a bright mars yellow, or a lemon ochre can all easily be a sole yellow.

A few days ago I was building a limited earth palette to use for the next while and decided to choose Rublev Italian yellow earth as the yellow.

Mythrill

I agree with yellow_oxide. If I had to pick one variety of yellow iron oxide, I’d probably pick Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide (PY 42). It resembles natural sunlight – especially when glazed.

Bradicus

… I now pronounce it indispensable!

So close to agreeing…
                                I worried about this half the night. Whole life without YO and PY110?
                                Why, Patrick, why?

But it would be nearly impossible to live with YO only.
                                I think PBr 7 or 24 would be passable( and is not under the yellow restriction)

A cad would lock out transparents, so probibly Bismuth 128 or py154 or 184.
                                I think you would get the most bang for the buck from these semi/full transparents.

FINAL answer: PY154 bright, semi transparent, mixes clean, and lightfast.

Brad

PS indian yellow py110, I love you so much, Im sorry: Its not you, its me.

llawrence

PS indian yellow py110, I love you so much, Im sorry: Its not you, its me.

:lol:

WFMartin

Well, if I had to select only one Yellow with which to create paintings for the rest of my life, it would definitely be Winsor & Newton’s Transparent Yellow 653. Its pigment identification is PY128, and it is called an AZO Condensation.

Transparent Yellow is better for creating dark mixes than any opaque Yellow. And, this particular Yellow is also close to being a true, scientific primary color, because of its location on the color wheel.

Transparent is “good”. Primary is “excellent”. Both contribute to its desirability, in terms of its being the only yellow of choice.:thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Bradicus

In oil I have PY32, Strontium Yellow paint. I can drop everything except it. Even Yellow Ochre, I use so much!
                                            Pigment of this paint comes from Aerospace industry. Therefore, it has aircraftsman quality with affordable price :D

So useful: PY32 is also called Ultramarine Yellow so its got that going for it.
                                            Semi opaque, leans greeeeeen.
                                            And is a “corrosion inhibitor, may be found in industrail coatings”
                                            And I picked lame 154. I cant find anywhere here Gigalot.
                                            Where do you buy it? Is it a artist paint or are you making it?

WFMartin, I really like transparents, 128, would be a good one.
                                            Nice a about a semi transparent like 154 is you can get a little more flexiblity(for me).
                                            But the full trans make great darks. Both would be good.

Patrick…whats the call for you?

Cheers,
                                            Brad

opainter

I consider Cadmium Yellow Light (PY35) to be most important. But Yellow Oxide (PY42) is very important for painting things that have to look realistic, so it comes in a close second. I’m not into glazing (sorry, Bill!), so I don’t consider transparency to be quite so essential.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                                :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                                :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Patrick1

Wow…so many here would go with a transparent yellow oxide. I’ve only used ordinary, opaque yellow ochres, but the modern, highly transparent ones are surprisingly chromatic in undertone and tints with white….it’s just wrong that you can get a yellow that bright, from essentially, rust. :evil:

Brad, I didn’t enter my choice in my original question because I was (and still am) struggling with this one. It depends on whether or not another, yellowish color is allowed (such as an opaque or transp. yellow/yellowish earth color, Quinacridone Gold, etc). My question is about choosing only one yellow, with no other yellow-ish colors on the palette to bolster it. This makes it tough. I’ll keep thinking about this one, as I have been for years! Even though I love the idea of a very small palette (3, 4, 5 colors) in principle, it goes to show why one ‘ideal’ yellow, (or red or blue for that matter) is often not enough.

Mythrill

Wow…so many here would go with a transparent yellow oxide. I’ve only used ordinary, opaque yellow ochres, but the modern, highly transparent ones are surprisingly chromatic in undertone and tints with white….it’s just [I]wrong[/I] that you can get a yellow that bright, from essentially, rust. :evil:

Patrick, I learned a little more about this mystery when purchasing pigment (a different, darker shade of PR 122). It turns out that Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide (PY 42) is “micronized”, i.e, it’s cut into very small particles using lasers. That’s one of the reasons it behaves similar to a lake and it is so bright. The other reason is purity: while a high-quality natural iron oxide will have, at most, 40 percent of iron oxide in its composition (say, a “legendary” Italian Ochre), synthetic iron oxides can have a purity as high as 99 percent of iron oxides!

Bradicus

PY 42 eh? Interesting. I dont use it.
                                                            Do those of you using py42 ‘gold orche’ also use trans red oxide pr101?

I use yellow ochre and 101 for my ‘earthy colours’.
                                                            Dropped raw sienna and burnt sienna as I didnt need.
                                                            Have py110 indian yell which is beautiful. And transparent like a sun ray.
                                                            But even it gets used infrequently.

I reviewed my orders, using most FUB, sap gn, YO, pr101( WN burnt sienna) and perm madder deep right now. I mix my blacks from rd,gn,bl so those get double duty.

Brad

WFMartin

I consider Cadmium Yellow Light (PY35) to be most important. But Yellow Oxide (PY42) is very important for painting things that have to look realistic, so it comes in a close second. I’m not into glazing (sorry, Bill!), so I don’t consider transparency to be quite so essential.

The importance of transparent oil paints is not based upon glazing. To the contrary, I use all sorts of colors for glazing–both transparent and opaque. The advantage of transparent paints is the colors that can be created with them, that are either impossible, or difficult when using opaque colors.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘just one yellow’ is closed to new replies.