Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #538: Apr 14-22

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    BearStar

Scavenger Hunt #538: Apr 14-22
        Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Rules for Hunting:
        * All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #538: Apr 14-22
        Red
        Orange
        Yellow
        Green
        Blue
        Indigo
        Violet
        Black
        White
        Soft
        Hard
        Dull
        Sharp
        Sentimental
        Practical
        Whimsical
        Joyful
        Simple
        Friend
        Family (yes includes Pets)
        Musicians (or anything musical)
        Tourists (or any people)
        Caffee (or coffeehouse)
        Gondola (or boat)
        Horse (or sculpture)
        Basilica (or church)

Challenge: one item in two different mediums

~stephanie

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]
        ~stephanie

Pine Cone

Stephanie – Thanks for a fun new list. I’m hoping the internet gods will smile on me, and allow me to participate! At the moment, things appear almost back to normal, and I might be able to upload something, if I can decide what to sketch :lol: No time today, but hopefully in the next coupla days.

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Joan T

Stephanie – Thanks for the new list!

Pine Cone – Hope the internet connection works for you.

1 – red flowers at the farmer’s market – watercolors and ink
                2 – yellow flowers
                3 – green table cover
                4 – practical shopping cart
                5 – tourists/people – watercolors and ink

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Eye

Lovely start Joan…so vibrant

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                    https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Eye

We are going back to Thailand tomorrow. Here is the last life sketch from Roma street…
                        #1 a musician

Ai

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

eyepaint

Stephanie – thanks for the new list.

Joan – wonderful floral settings

Ai – that musician is so well done!!

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

jmfletch

Stephanie – Thanks for the list!

Joan – You have mastered the plein air! Both are great.

Ai – I feel like ‘our’ trip to Italy was too short. Thanks for sharing. I know I will never get there so it is really special to share you and your family’s trip through your sketches and photos. Love them all. Trying to figure a way to save the last hunt so I can keep going back.

1 red – battery operated candle on coffee table. Used iPad, Apple Pencil, and Procreate. Used a watercolor brush I downloaded. Used Art Studio to crop and resize.

Keep sketching
                                Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

BearStar

Ai and Joan – you two rock with your plein air scenes!!! :clap:

great candle, Jim!

PineCone i hope you can make it

——

my #1 is a potted plant i’m designating Sentimental
                                    because the plant was given to me

but since i was thinking about the 7 colors …
                                    i decided to work digitally in layers*
                                    i kept the previous layers visible the whole time i was working
                                    but i’m showing each layer itself for dramatic effect :lol:

i started with Red – the flowerpot using pen and brush

then i created a new layer and added the Orange highlight

new layer and i added the Yellow plate

this new layer is the Green plant

next layer has Blue shadow for the plant

then Indigo shading on the pot

and finally Violet shadow on the plate

all together now!!
                                    Ta-Da!!!

#1 Sentimental (digital)

*in digital, adding a layer is like a clear sheet on top
                                    so each layer can be worked separately, reordered, turn visibility off and on…
                                    reminds me of oil painting process of wet-over-dry layers
                                    many times wish i could have separated/reworked those!!!

here endeth the lesson :wink2:
                                    ~stephanie

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]
                                    ~stephanie

Pine Cone

Joan – The busy, industrious feel of the farmers market puts me right there :) Love them both! Also, I was finally able to see all your paintings on the previous SH. They’re gorgeous. What a gift you have!

Ai – I can’t believe your trip is over. Your musician sketch is quite poignant, perhaps because it is your last on this trip, perhaps it is your subject. I finally got to see all your sketches on the previous SH and was swept away by them. Like Joe, I wish I could save your trip in my mind always.

Joe – The first couple of times I looked at it, I had no idea your candle was battery operated. It looks TOTALLY real in every way, including the flame and the reflection of the flame behind, and the highlight on the candle itself. Zowie!

Stephanie – Terrific WIP and final result. Beautiful and truly instructive!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Eye

Everyone, thank you for your kind words … I hope I can have more trips abroad to sketch in the future…It is not easy for me and Tone to work for Thai baht in order to saving for a much more expensive abroad trip. It is a pleasure to share them with you all here.

#2 Red — the best tomato on earth… Roma’s tomatoes

#3 Cafe & a gelatoria… in Roma

#4 Family — a mom and her child at a bookshop in Roma

$5 Sentimental — yes the Italian bidet will always reminds me of our special trip to Italy

Ai

jmfletch

Stephanie – I love how you used the colors in layers. Came out great. What app do you use?

Pine Cone – Thanks. It is a neat candle. It is wax and here is photo with ‘flame’ on. It flickers and looks real.

Ai – tomatoes look yummy and ready to eat. The bidet for sentimental made me laugh. Cannot say enough about your sketches and how they capture the look of Italy.

2 orange – medicine bottle. Standard setup for me Procreate, Apple Pencil etc. Used multiple brushes in several layers.

Keep sketching
                                                Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Joan T

Ai – Thank you. I think you are the master of quick sketches. I’m amazed at how many you were able to do on a trip with your children along. lol I love your accordion player. I really enjoy hearing all the musicians when I travel. Delicious looking Roma tomatoes. I’ll have a hazelnut gelato at that cafe please! Sweet sketch from the bookshop and your sketch of the sentimental bidet made me smile. Thanks for taking us along on your trip.

Joe – Thanks so much. Nice digi of the red battery operated candle.

Stephanie – Thank you! It is great to see all the layers that went into your final image for your sketch. Thanks for showing it to us that way.

Pine Cone – I really appreciate that even though you were having problems with the internet you wen to look back at the sketches from the other hunt. I really appreciate your positive comments!:thumbsup:

6 – hard (tree trunk) – watercolors and ink
                                                    7 – soft (forsythia blossoms) – watercolors

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

jmfletch

Joan – looks like we cross posted. The forsythia survived the snow! So pretty. You do great skies and also snow.

Joe

Eye

Stephanie: Thanks … nice layers of colors you show us

PineCone : Thanks… hope you can do some sketches.

Joe: Thanks….Nicely done candle

Joan: Thanks…. your sketches and painting are getting better always…the yellow flowers are wonderful

Ai

Finally a sketch. Number 1, family

We are visiting grandkids in Kentucky. No time to sketch. It is snowing. Yikes.

Joan your market sketch is neat and the folks on the bench. Hard and soft were clever finds. Pretty.

Ai, loved your Rome sketches. Safe travels. The bidet made me smile.

Joe, love the red candle, of course. Like the pill bottle. Orange indeed.

Stephanie, cool pot in layers!

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                                                            My website https://jocastilloart.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.