Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects A&W Challenge for APRIL 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Pat

Welcome to our Fur, Feathers & Scales Challenge for April 2018!

These photos are all available for use for this challenge. My hubby & I took a couple of them, and some are from Pixabay. (Copyright & attribution free)

The rules are simple- You may edit however you wish, and use whatever medium you like, but
        PLEASE DON’T POST YOUR WORK BEFORE THE REVEAL DAY ON APRIL 20th.

Since its Easter Sunday, we have to start with a bunny!

And since its spring, here’s a few more furred & feathered babies—

Handsome Mandarin duck in Key West-

I sourced this from Pixabay, no attribution required, but this is so magical, I think the photographer deserves credit! Her name is Christine Sponchia, from Switzerland.

Here’s an iguana from our visit to Key West:

And this bad boy invaded our community pond after Hurricane Irma.He/she has now been safely relocated to a safer location.

~Pat

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
        PAWS Painter (Etsy)

Wonderful photos Pat! Thanks for Hosting our April Challenge!

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Great photos Pat! thanks for hosting.

Christel

Rainowl

Lovely photos thank you for hosting. It will be difficult to choose which one to do.

Lesley (RainOwl)

Lesley (Wiltshire, England, U.K.)

Yes! Hard to choose from lovely photos!

Penny
            I live in Wiltshire, England
            “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Triduana

Ooh good selection. I think I have chosen. I’ve decided to try a different medium this month. Thank you for hosting the April challenge. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Good to know the alligator has been taken to safety. The tiger photo is beautiful, as are the others.

Penny
                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Great photos, but they all appear “difficult” to me. I must learn to simplify what I see, instead of trying to “copy”. Any suggestions on how to capture the essence of a subject would be greatly appreciated! :cat:

Joy
                C & C encouraged!

I look for shapes and shading, Joy, and colours. I’m not good at realism so make my own interpretation of the photo. Realism isn’t the be all and end all. It still surprises me when an animal appears looking out at me, or an object is there on the page. Just go for it and surprise yourself.

“The Big Painting Challenge” is just starting on BBC, so relaxing and watching that.

Penny

Pat

Hi Joy, first, don’t feel intimidated. Just go with the level you’re at, and have fun with it. I start with a little sketchy drawing, just to get the gesture of movement and where the main parts are. Just pick out geometric shapes and lines at major color breaks. You don’t have to do the whole photo, just pick out what you feel comfortable with & have fun! Hope this helps!

Here’s a little line drawing of how I might start a duckling:

~Pat

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
                    PAWS Painter (Etsy)

fedetony

wow, this are fantastic images :)…thank Pat

Federico Garcia
                        My Blog
                        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

That is great advice, and I need to loosen up instead of being focused on reality! And, Penny, you capture reality quite well, I think. “The Big Painting Challenge” is not on in the US; I will research that. Our local PBS used to have a lot or art instruction shows, but all have been replaced by children’s programming and cooking shows.

Oh, and does anyone know is there is a way to access prior monthly challenges? TIA

Joy
                        C & C encouraged!

Thanks, Joy. Hope you get to see some of the painting programmes. Do you receive the Sky Arts channel? There are good ones there.

Penny

Lovely images Pat. Thank you so much for hosting.

Chammi
                        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Pat, these are great!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.