Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Lap Board for Watercolor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cedarita

My husband made a new lap board to my specs for an upcoming trip. My usual lap board is bigger, but I needed one that would fit in my backpack. That meant that this one needed not only to be smaller, but it also needed to fold.

Folded dimensions are 11×14 inches:

Open, it measures 11×18 inches. Those are “sewing machine hinges” that keep the board from hyperextending. One of the brass screws got lost and was replaced with the wrong color – Spouse says that is my wabi sabi. The big hole is for my water container. Countersunk magnets hold a metal palette securely. And there is a lip at the base of the main part of the board that keeps my brushes from rolling away.

And here it is, fully deployed with my stuff.

It would be easy enough to put a tripod mount on it, but for me the less equipment, the better, so I just balance the board on my knees.

Okay… I’m genuinely impressed ! Great job David!

-MfM

Ellen E

Wonderful little board! I have an oak board I bought in about 1990 as a lapboard/travel desk and I’ve used it and used it till the oak is all darkened and there are pin-pricks, paint specs, and all kinds of “character lines” on it but it’s now a family heirloom the kids and grandkids are already wanting to “inherit” it. It was brand new when I bought it for $1 at St. Vincent’s and it had a little prop thing on the back that I took off. I think it was supposed to be a portable podium originally or something.

I wish you years and years of good use from your little gem there, and maybe your progeny will eventually consider wanting it as your family heirloom. :)

Actually, I’ve been thinking about finding a smaller board like the one you have to go with me when I urban sketch or work plen aire. My “writing board” is just a wee bit big and awkward for that. I’m using a mobility aid for walking now and my trusty old board is kind of unweildly for what I need now.

Maybe this could be a sideline for your hubby. He might be able to sell them. I’d be interested if they’re not very expensive. I just don’t have a big enough budget for extravagant purchases of any kind, but even if I couldn’t afford one, you still might be able to market them online and maybe even at crafts and arts events.

It is extremely well made Robyn. How thick is the board?

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Cedarita

Ellen, it sounds like your board is well loved and has plenty of wabi sabi! David is a busy guy, so he won’t be going into production. If you know a woodworker who would enjoy the project, feel free to copy.

Doug, the board is made from half inch baltic birch plywood. I didn’t photograph the underside, but he routed out part of the thickness at the top and left hand edge of the main piece so that is easy to use the bulldog clips.

Dave, David can do pretty nice work when he decides to. Will pass along your compliment. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.