WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Helena, MT

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Reverspective

Andrew,
Thank you so much, I got mine today. Being in accounting I'm working 10 or 11 hours a day right now and am having trouble finding time to paint so it may be after April 15th before I get mine done, but I will get it done!
By the way, my husband says you are obviously a better carpenter than he is as mine is so well put together.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Fascinating project ( and great leadership Andrew. ) I'm too late to sign up but I may give it a go anyway. I needed a project to jump start me after my moving slump.

Great project idea ! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisilk
Fascinating project ( and great leadership Andrew. ) I'm too late to sign up but I may give it a go anyway. I needed a project to jump start me after my moving slump.

Great project idea ! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Li

Can't make any promises, but there MIGHT be an extra block, if you are interested...
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2005, 11:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

P.M.ing you as we speak. Thanks ! ( Just in case you have an extra block. )

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 02:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44993

I'm confused as to where the top ( bottom ? .. the small square ) is but I love the sci- fi elements. Are these multiple blocks like the Patrick Hughes creations ?

Even tho I'm an unofficial participant, I will be making a paper model this week to try to visualize the concept better.

This would be a great exercise for kids to understand perspective. ( And me for that matter.)

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44823

This is looking great. Both of your designs should work well on the blocks.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44375

Looks like you are having fun experimenting. Good idea, the cut out. Looking forward to your finished piece.

Li

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 03:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Honor, MI

Hails from United States

HI ...
Home from Traverse City (MI)....saw the Patrick Hughes show there!!! (Thanks so much Andrew for mentioning it) Absolutely awesome! Now home with lots of ideas spinning in my head of things to paint on my block! (Andrew gave a link in the project description to Patrick Hughes work)

Lauren

www.LaurenEverettFinn.com my blog
facebook
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 04:26 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by leverettfinn
HI ...
Home from Traverse City (MI)....saw the Patrick Hughes show there!!! (Thanks so much Andrew for mentioning it) Absolutely awesome! Now home with lots of ideas spinning in my head of things to paint on my block! (Andrew gave a link in the project description to Patrick Hughes work)

Lauren

Aren't those absolutly INCREDIBLE in real life? It is one thing to see them on the web- But not even a video can capture the true effect- It is something that has to be seen up close and in person.

The best thing about that show is watching the other people look at the paintings- Watching them move from side to side, and bob up and down to get the effect. It is LOADS of fun...

-Andrew
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 04:30 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisilk
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=44993

I'm confused as to where the top ( bottom ? .. the small square ) is but I love the sci- fi elements. Are these multiple blocks like the Patrick Hughes creations ?

This is a different format altogether than the blocks being used in the project- It is actually 3 blocks, just like a patrick hughes painting... I changed the measurements a bit, but kept a lot of it the same. They are something of a pain to build, however... Lots of angles!! This block wasn't perfect, but I found creative ways to conceal that!

-Andrew
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2005, 10:57 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

It came in the mail last night! Yay! I am so excited - I will post my sketches when I get home tonite. I have not made a final decision. Thank you Andrew!!
Barbara
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

The last batch of blocks is headed out today, so if yours isnt there yet- Dont worry- It is probably here! I have been busier than normal this week, and this is my first chance to get to the post office.

Can't wait to see what happens!

-Andrew
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2005, 09:47 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

I put up a few ideas of mine in the progress area and please be warned they are just ideas. I'm not great at drawing and I'm hoping my painting will be much nicer. Thanks again Andrew. May I send you a painted rock? Do you like animals? I will repost when I decide where I'm going with this. I already have my block sanded and ready to prime! I need to work out the perspective- you'll see that, and to decide on color and details. This is so much fun! I still have 1 or 2 ideas I want to see on paper and think about. This project has really got me thinking; and in a very different way at that!
Barbara
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2005, 09:58 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

I'm having a lot of ideas for this now - some may work, some not. I'm not going to draw them all so I thought I would share. Anyone may use my ideas- I have no problem with that - we would all end up painting them differently anyway. In the Basic Drawing 101 course, in the Drawing and Sketching forum here, I did a descending staircase (circular)which could be applied to our block. The other ideas I have are:train tracks going toward a train tunnel, the Metro (Montreal subway), a movie theater (with the center aisle), a hallway of doors (this from a recurring dream of mine), a straight staircase going down, the yelow brick road, and an escalator. Usually I have a hard time coming up with ideas so I thought I would throw these out to anyone who wants to use them.
Barbara
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on progress entry by: bjcpaints

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=45179

The basic idea could work very well, However I would avoid anything TOO large on the side walls. The reason is, if the object is dimensional, and is SUPPOSED to be stickink away from the wall, when our perspective changes on it, and we sway over to another side, we expect the object (the sofa in this case) to remain in view- In fact, it should become MORE visisble... I hope this makes sense. You are better off painting things that are close to the wall, for example picture frames, windows, doors, etc...

Take a peek at the room that I did, and the rooms that Kreg Yingst does. Little or nothing protruding from the walls. You have to be careful- Everything that you do needs to trick the eye into reversing the image so the illusion works!

-Andrew
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2005, 10:09 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Comment on progress entry by: bjcpaints

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=45180

This would certainly work well. It is going to combine a lot of elements that will help fool the viewer. First, The floors would probably be wood plank, which will give you lots of lines to draw the eye back into the painting. Then, you have the bowling pins, which make a great focal point.

Your other ideas sound good, too! Patrick Hughes has a train tunnel in his book, which looks really cool. Perhaps you should do the hallway with doors- The dream could be a sign??

Andrew
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2005, 10:11 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Just a quick note, ALL the blocks went out YESTERDAY, so you will be getting them shortly.... Most were priority mail, with the exception of the international ones, which went air post, 4-7 days.... I opted NOT to go with surface mail- UP TO 2 MONTHS!

The funny thing is the ones going to canada were the toughest ones to mail out- They are VERY particular about how the box is labelled...

-Andrew