Home Forums What have you been watching?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    brianvds

We already have a thread for music members here have been listening to. So why not another one for such things as films, documentaries, series etc?

I discovered this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSY6FBge1Y&t=1770s

A 1961 film titled The Innocents, based on Henry James’ novel The Turn of the Screw.

I don’t know how faithful the adaptation is (I notice the screenplay was co-written by no less a luminary than Truman Capote) – the novel is still on my to-read list. But the film was a pleasant little surprise.

When it comes to such old movies, my reaction is often to yawn, giggle, cringe or some combination of the three. In this case I found the film very watchable, and indeed, it even made my hair stand on end here and there. I should look into old movies a bit more… :-)

BritBox: As Time Goes By

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
        blog.jlk.net

ianuk

I just watched a French film ‘The intouchables’ seen it before years ago, but was worth watching again. Watched ‘The Ballad of Buster Scruggs’ (Netflix) which was pretty good, definitely amusing.

thevaliantx

The Walking Dead, and Outlander.

A series of travel adventure videos on YouTube by David Adams where he journeys “To,the Ends of the Earth” in Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Iran, Georgia, Ethiopia, Niger, and Bolivia. A bit dated but I found them quite interesting and some of the scenery is stunning.

Right now a series called Treasures of the Indus on the art and architecture of the Indus Valley. Before that, Alistair Sooke’s Treasures of Ancient Rome. These are available in Canada through our Knowledge Network.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

brianvds

I was pleasantly surprised to find Coraline (2009) on YouTube in its entirety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh7-ZjWip1E&t=509s

It will probably only be a question of time before someone lodges a copyright complaint and this delightfully creepy little stop-motion animation is gone again.

redfang

Currently binge-watching Doctor Who with brief interruptions of Star Trek Discovery.

BritBox: As Time Goes By

I love that show, the local PBS station used to air it along with Keeping Up Appearances. If I had the money, Britbox would be the service I’d buy.

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

musket

Recent fare– some seen many times before:

Foyle’s War
                            Mr. Palfrey of Westminster
                            Corpse Bride
                            Edward Scissorhands
                            Lie to Me
                            Scent of a Woman
                            Scorpion
                            Endeavour
                            RED
                            Bandits
                            Burn Notice

rainrain

I’ve been watching SMILF and Better Things. Interesting so far.

thevaliantx

Dangerous Borders, a BBC documentary about the border between India and Pakistan. Two journalists (one Hindu, one Muslim) whose families came from Punjab, travel separately along side of the border sharing their encounters with the people and digging into their own family histories.

And an episode of CBC’s the Murdoch Mysteries.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Dcam
                                        musket

Dangerous Borders, a BBC documentary about the border between India and Pakistan. Two journalists (one Hindu, one Muslim) whose families came from Punjab, travel separately along side of the border sharing their encounters with the people and digging into their own family histories.

And an episode of CBC’s the Murdoch Mysteries.

We watched the whole run of Murdoch over the past few months– there are twelve seasons. Like many shows with such long runs, it declined in quality eventually, but still, there are some fun episodes in each season. It’s weird though, how much Murdoch himself resembles a ventriloquist’s dummy. Yannick Bisson did a great job of playing such a literal minded stiff. Helene Joy is a very handsome woman.

musket

World War II in color
                                                Foyle’s War
                                                Doc. Martin
                                                Chopped
                                                Lydia’s kitchen
                                                The Crown

Foyle’s War remains the best period crime drama we’ve ever seen. It’s a real shame that Anthony Horowitz had to scrap a bunch of scripts that took place during the war when ITC had the nerve to try to cancel the show after five seasons. Every time we watch it, we’re amazed at how beautiful a Spitfire is. Far and away the most elegant fighter of WWII, if not as versatile as the Mustang.

Dcam

Foyle’s attitude is worth aspiring to. Brevity, bravery, focus, understatement.
                                                    Messerschmitt had no chance.
                                                    The Spitfire; a work of art.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.