Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The copy study drawing by Barcsay

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    joe1It

I did this in the last 2 days (I wanted to find some drawings and try a copy, a study), I tried to make the copy, a study of a foreshortened figure. A drawing by Barcsay (which I didn’t know)

.maybe I had to, I must darken it more, arms and shoulder I believe, perhaps precisely the proportions, legs, the one on my right seems to me outside but I don’t know and the errors will be different,
        *C & C welcome, lately, attending wetcavens I begin to realize some of the errors but only with criticism and comments I discover many and I really realize, so for criticism and comments it is much better if you do if you want.
        Regardless of C and C Thank you so much for seeing it.

Album c4 canson (a4 format, smooth), used a colored pencil.

The Artist as said is Barcsay (I liked his drawings so I would like to keep him in mind and look for his other works and try again in the future, for drawings of the figures maybe with such extreme poses but also simpler poses).
        For this design I initially thought of putting the sheet alongside the monitor, drawing a 30 to 40 cm on the left, and a little ahead of the monitor,
        I mean, I wanted to retry sigth size, but trying it for the first time Sight-size using my monitor, I think I’ll try Sight-size again but sometimes with a book or possibly printing something because even with the sheet on how to correctly set up the reference and the album (maybe one meter away is ok but I’m not sure if they should be placed side by side or maybe the reference on another wall then horizontally or otherwise not side by side but a little behind).

So I used my monitor for almost all the references taken from the internet but placed in front of me.

However, I measured much more than the previous things I posted
        So initially I wanted to build, to do almost like gestures but I did quite differently, I often measured, though not always.
        Perhaps proportion is among the errors, however I hope you are pleased that I published it and I thank you very much for seeing this post of mine.
        Greetings and thanks for everything.

reference

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8JS17wIAAALXLj.jpg

thanks
        :wave:

- C & C welcome ( comments and criticisms highly appreciated)

— NOT allowed for Al training

123harry

It’s a decent attempt. Looking at the original it is the leg on our left which is the problem. You need to shift the lower leg further to the left and open the angle slightly.

C&C always welcome.
            Instagram harry.hamill

joe1It

thank you Harry, now that you say it, I notice the leg.
                true, I hadn’t really noticed it.
                I try to change it,

I try to modify this leg (I don’t know if I can do it and a lot because I used a black crayon that I usually can’t remove easily and I went heavy with some lines or shading
                * however I try, poster or the result).
                And then the leg, as a last thing I’ll try
                to darken the drawing a little bit more (which I had first begun to darken a little)

joe1It

I tried to make those changes. I hope it gets better, maybe I should have done more but in fact I could not cancel.
                    maybe I had to do it at an earlier stage.

I tried to darken it more, I hope it is better.
                    for shading I confessed to have used other 2 I found on google (a drawing for hatching, I tried to follow it a lot during shading).
                    thanks for seeing it. a warm greeting

this looks to be a very worthwhile form of practice and you have done pretty well with it… I think one of the paths to success is to do lots of it!

Mac

joe1It

MacRobertson

I am really happy for your words, for appreciation for my attempt and for this kind of practice that yes, I want to practice more, I am very happy then that you recommend this.
                        In fact when 2, 3 years ago, when I thought that I wanted to learn as much as possible to draw, I thought that one of the subjects, of the reasons why I wanted to draw, was being able to do chiaroscuro also to carry out a study in chiaroscuro
                        of the works, drawings and artists I love,
                        both because I find it nice to design something that I appreciate (have one more reason to admire very beautiful drawings, spend more time with these) and maybe be able to learn a little bit of drawings that I love a lot. for this but also because in the meantime I could improve if in fact it was a recommended practice.:wave:

Joe, your determination is obvious – huge changes since you started posting :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                        Instagram
                        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

joe1It

David, thank you so much for your words, I am very pleased about that.
                            David wanted to tell you that after having seen posts and information on sharpening your charcoal and macrobertson (including the images on sharp pencils) a ten days ago I finally thought of buying blades (a pack of 5 disposable blades) to use them for sharpening . I started to sharpen a pencil count now and I wanted to say that removing the wood, sharpening is much simpler, less tiring so I will be comfortable. Thanks again

(in a few days I think I’ll try again with charcoal and I will use this, maybe I’ll wait a little bit because for about 6 months I had disconnected a bit with coal for a kind of small allergy to my eyes (even if I don’t know if it really hit coal but I preferred to wait a little, however I will soon take it again, in a few days so maybe in the time I take some sheets a little bigger and maybe finer sandpaper because I took a block sold for pencils but compared to the first one I used I can’t to use it because it seems rougher to me so I’d like to look for another one)

llawrence

The proportions look solid, so your measurement techniques are working. Kudos!

My crit is with the shading. It isn’t focused enough on form. You’ve got shaded areas kind of sprinkled throughout all of the shapes, so I can’t tell if the pencil strokes are there to describe forms, or delineate marks on the surfaces. But if you look at the original reference drawing the shading is all about describing the larger forms. Mostly around the edges, to pull large masses out of the paper. Avoid shading any details until after you’ve rendered the large blocks, spheres, cylinders, cones. Then you can go crazy on the details if you want.

joe1It

Excuse me so much

In my message of
                                    06-17-2019, 10:00 AM I was convinced that I had pasted, posted the photo with the changes I had made,

I had tried to modify the leg as suggested to me by
                                    123harry (although I had already trod a lot and was unable to cancel much)
                                    And then I tried to obscure (tried to improve some shading)

For some reason I wrote what I did but without the photo, sorry.

I apologize very much, I only noticed it now, without the photo what I wrote about the changes made no sense and I lost time in vain with that post, sorry,
                                    sorry that I wanted so much to let you see a more recent picture of the drawing and to know if it was better, I hope you can see it now also this photo even if I apologize so much for having made you lose more time.

Llawrence I hope you can and you will also want to see this picture and maybe tell me if it goes a little better this way even if what you said I will try to put it into practice more in the next drawings, thank you very much for your suggestion (criticisms are incredibly useful and shading then it is one of the things where the forum really helps me a lot) that I will follow so also to start on the details only after having taken care, completed initial phase, phase with simple forms.
                                    I’m glad you also talked about blocks, spheres, cylinders, cones. Because in the last few months they were the thing I had thought of trying more (Concentrating more) with shading (shading is always something I find very difficult) and as another topic my head., On the basic forms I think I’ll try so much more to improve, give us importance.

Heartfelt thanks to all for patience, for help and for having seen.

Joe you are on an upward journey. We’ve seen others on here in the past who have started what is the most difficult of art disciplines and quickly faded away. You draw a lot and its very obvious that you are dedicated to improving. Just keep working at it. There’s only one way to improve and that is to keep drawing :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                                    Instagram
                                    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

joe1It

David thank you so much for your words.

yes, I will practice :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.