Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art Feb 2019 – BAC Canberra T17 W.I.P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Chas McHugh

It has been quite a while since I ran a WIP thread here; so I will share my new Canberra T17 oil painting with you all. The canvas measures 30” x 20” which is small for me as the subject is not one I expect to produce a print from. I am adhering to the Rule of Thirds for the horizon line though have already decided to change that to the bottom third. The primary aircraft is sat above the ‘X’ which is formed by diagonally joining the corners. I find that disregarding this creates an awkward composition. The aircraft is an electronic counter measures trainer and was used in exercise against air defence fighters- hence the word ‘primary’ a few words ago. I will now focus on an atmospheric skyscape in the knowledge that it is that which will determine the success (or not) of the final painting. Questions, comments, and criticism are all equally welcome.

© Copyright Charles E McHugh 2019
        www.aeroartist.com

NeilF92

They used to drop in to RAF Leuchars quite often when I was there 65 /67 . We still had Javelins of 228 OCU till Dec ’66 along with 23 and 74 Sqn Lightning Mk3 & Mk6 .

The T17 was my favourite mark of Canberra. Looking forward to how you tackle the background. I had a flight in a 100 sqn a/c towing a banner for F4s at Leuchars. The navigator who sat next to me slept through the whole sortie. I think he was hungover.
            Ta John

tmwilliams

Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Chas McHugh

Clouds can be a nightmare to reproduce on canvas because of several reasons. The important thing is that one avoids the appearance of a solid object because they are not solid – yet they have more form (shape) than any landscape image. I have used a palette knife and a Q tip (cotton bud) and a very inexpensive small fan brush to get this far.

These are ‘towering cumulous’ which often develop into a late afternoon thunderstorm in summer months. This layer is not yet complete but the building blocks are going in the right direction.

www.aeroartist.com

Looking forward to how you achieve the clouds. Aso they are now I would be happy with that.
                    Watching closely. John

Chas McHugh

Masking tape removed and aircraft drawing resurrected. I am not happy with the cloudscape but know that these things evolve and they need a good foundation. All paintings go through a pain phase before it all comes together. I have a script for the background in the form of a photograph that I took last year and at the moment the painting is not a good reproduction of what I had planned. I am not happy with the blue not having a gradient towards the horizon either – so expect big changes to the skyscape before it is finished.

www.aeroartist.com

Chas McHugh

Today I have started the primary aircraft: a BAC Canberra T17, and I am very happy with the effect introducing ‘green’ into the painting has achieved. The Canberra used explosive cartridges to start the engines, and the thick black smoke stained the aircraft which for an Artist is fantastic – second only to rust and dirt. This will be a really good painting when it is finished after the opposing Royal Navy F4 Phantom has been added.

www.aeroartist.com

JATART

Very Nice!

Chas McHugh

I am enjoying painting this Canberra aircraft even though I am not really detailing it yet. It is almost certain that I will get down to the starboard roundel tomorrow after which I will return to the clouds to optimise the top half of my composition.

Facebook link in case WC crashes:- https://www.facebook.com/aer0art
                                    ‘Aviation art of Charles McHugh’

www.aeroartist.com

It’s looking good. Do you mind if I can ask you what colours do you use to create the camouflage
                                    Thanks john

Chas McHugh

Cadmium red
                                        Cobalt blue
                                        Titanium white
                                        Dark Earth Green
                                        Naples yellow Reddish
                                        Payne’s Grey
                                        Raw Umber
                                        Warm grey light

Frequently adding both Payne’s Grey & Titanium White which is in effect ‘tone’ (value). Counter intuitive to add black and white to a colour, but essential practise.

www.aeroartist.com

NeilF92

I’m trying to go with Chas Thompson’s red /blue /yellow + white only palette in my current piece . So far so good but I’m not entirely convinced as yet – we’ll see.

I’ve been trying to keep my palette down to 6 or 8 colours. I keep messing about… the only colours that I am definitely happy with is.
                                            Cadmium Red
                                            Ultramarine
                                            Yellow Ochre
                                            Cadmium Yellow
                                            Cerulean Blue

What other colour would you suggest for aviation paintings .
                                            Ta John

Chas McHugh

You have no greens or browns on that list. I would add Cadmium Green and Raw Unber. Raw Unber is especially useful in glazing almost finished works to facilitate cohesion between colours. Green can of course be ‘made’ with the palette you have but is often problematic to artists. As an advocate of work smarter not harder, I have issues with the theory of kudos to those working a limited palette. I tend to use very few colours in my work but have an arsenal worthy of Fort Knox at my disposal.

For everybody – it has long been known that zinc undermines paint; and indicative of industry acceptance of this Langridge have stated that they are removing zinc from their paints – Rublev already have. It is scary how much paint I have that is inclusive of zinc as an ingredient.

www.aeroartist.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.