WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Question Creating transparent thick colours

Hello,

I was unsure where to post this question, but I hope that I can get some help.

I am looking to be able to paint areas of at least 1-2mm thick in a transparent colour so that the surface below is visible through it to some extent. I know that I could use resin mixed with paint, but was hoping to maybe use something that was easier and which gives off less smell. I would also like to be able to brush it on either all at once or in layers depending upon the fineness of the area.

I was thinking of mixing some acrylic paint, or gouache, with some of my Liquitex medium or even my water-based polyurethane (Varathane Diamond Finish) and then paint on the surface, but am unsure if this could crack in the future if on an item that will be handled/worn (e.g. a wooden pendant).

Would I also be able to then put another coat of polyurethane over the whole area?

I really didn't want to have to mix resins or epoxies as I do most of my work in my bedroom and I don't have much of a workspace and although a big room, it isn't always as ventilated as I would need for smelly epoxies.

Basically I am going for a look of glass over wood or foil.
It would always be done on a more rigid surface (not canvas or paper).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Creating transparent thick colours

Welcome to WetCanvas!

I really do not know and you can contact our main sponsor Dick Blick art supply and they are very good at guiding in the right direction. So many new products out there now especially the acrylic mediums.

In the past I've made fake stained glass designs directly onto window glass panes using transparent liquid glass bought at Walmart.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Thumbs up Re: Creating transparent thick colours

Thank you.
I have actually used clear Liquitex medium and acrylics on plexi to try out stained glass but I want something I know will dry hard and withstand handling without cracking in the long run.
The stained glass colours tend to be quit soft (according to my own recollection from many years ago) and although designed for windows I fear that they could fade if the pigments are of a lower quality.
I will try to contact Dick Blick and see what they suggest.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.