Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Can Pastels & wash=finished painting?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jrasche2003

What I mean by that is has anyone used pastels like you would do for an under painting but enjoyed the look decided that was a finished piece? I’ve looked everywhere for this answer and can’t find it, but I have to imagine that someone out there loved the look at Left it at that.

water girl

Yes, let’s see if anyone has done this. I admit I have to add a lot of detail, or I’m not happy. That’s just me, though.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

PeggyB

Long ago there was an artist who did this; quite successfully I might add. However, when one was entered into and accepted into a competition, it looked so much like a gouache painting the judge was quite miffed. Basically, gouache and dry pastel are “kissing cousins”; both are opaque mediums so when you wash the pastel it looses its “sparkle”, and looks like gouache. So if you aren’t interested in competitions, and are happy with the work just go where your heart tells you to go.

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                www.peggybraeutigam.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.