WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Aviation Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 04:35 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Mosquito Attack

I have been doing some housekeeping on my computer files, and found some aviation art I done about a year ago. This was a originally a value study. Looking at it now, I may even take it to a colour stage, but part of me likes the simple values as is.
This is a fictitious scene inspired by 633 squadron, and I had that wonderful film soundtrack intro playing on and off while doing this.
Comments, and feedback welcome.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Mid Wales

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Mosquito Attack

Very nice. I'd love to see this in colour. Would look fantastic.

As it's fictitious, I'd adjust the waterline on left to avoid the angled appearance - to look like the one on the right, and I'd soften the propeller blades to give the impression of full throttle having dropped their payload. I'd also tone down/break up the growlers in the foreground. I think those small details would just make this "snap" and the result would be jaw dropping. I hope you do try this in colour.

Oh, and I thought I was the only one who listened to the soundtrack as I paint. Glad to know I'm not haha. Painting the Titanic? Yeah, soundtrack. Painting American Civil War figures?....I'm sure you get the idea. Thought maybe I was just crazy.

Anyway, cannot wait to see this!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Lord of the Arts

That should be a good project for the future.If it was dark enough for the searchlights i wonder if the nearest Mosquito would be darker,less detailed.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Thanks Mark,
there are some technical issues that need to be addressed for sure. That waterline does need to be sorted out, and the values in the back need some attention. I will blur those propellers more, as they do look a little static to me too.

Trumper,You are correct in saying the main Mosquito should be darker and less detailed from a technical viewpoint, but as the story is more important for me, I chose to "cheat' the lighting to bring more attention to it as a focal point, so it would not get lost.
I tend to cheat a lot with lights in my work!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2016, 05:26 PM

Very exciting work! I love the intense action and I am a fan of night artwork too. You can almost hear the Merlins being firewalled in this one! I can only imagine the crew's feeling when they get 'lit up' by one of the spotlights! I'd imagine there's just a little pucker factor. Great stuff!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:29 AM
San Francisco Bay

That's impressive light and scene.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

With that many searchlights around I imagine there would be a fair amount of light so you might indeed see some detail in the aircraft .