Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk another find on instagram

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gergab

Now, this guy understands values and hues…his things are really simple, but they are so alive. Amazing example of when someone know those two, they can paint with any amount of detail and still have a complete, wholesome picture.

https://www.instagram.com/dennisroberts.adi/?hl=en

He paints soft-pastels on acrylic most of the time.

water girl

Thank you for posting this. It’s always nice to see other pastel artists’ work.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Donna T

Thanks so much for this! He is GOOD! I wish I could find more information or links to articles about him.

Donna
                C&C Always Welcome

gergab

He keeps conversations in the comment sections of his pictures, so I guess it’s possible to contact him there. I tried to ask a question about where and how he learned painting, he didn’t answer it, for whatever reason.

contumacious

Some nice paintings. I can’t tell for sure if the softness on quite a few of the pieces is just blurry photographs or if the images accurately represent soft edges in the original. If I had to guess I would say they are out of focus photos.

gergab

I am not sure I understand you contumacious. You mean he might be faking some of these pictures?

contumacious

I am not sure I understand you contumacious. You mean he might be faking some of these pictures?

No. I couldn’t tell if the softness was because they were created that way intentionally or if the photographs were out of focus. My best guess is the photos were poorly taken.

Still-trying

I wanted to see more so I Googled him. He makes a comment that his work is digital! Wow. I was surprised.

Happy to say "hello". C and C always welcome.

JAY:wave:

gergab

Yeah. Wow. Where exactly is he making that comment? I am pretty sure I also read in a comment that he is doing pastel on acrylic. But maybe I am wrong…

contumacious

I wanted to see more so I Googled him. He makes a comment that his work is digital! Wow. I was surprised.

Well, if that is the case, they certainly know how to make their images look like real pastels! I enjoy doing studies on my tablet that has a pressure sensitive stylus setup, using ArtRage, in preparation for a painting. The pastel tool does OK. I prefer the look of the oil brush and how you can set it to mix or not mix with strokes already laid down.

Based on how parts of the photos are out of focus, I would have never assumed they were digital. They look more like photographs of actual paintings.

contumacious

I think you are right about them being digital, though he doesn’t state the medium used on any of his work which kind of bugs me. Still, some great images. Though I do paint digitally, I would personally never buy or try to sell a digital piece. I don’t look down with scorn on those who do. I used to buy and sell photographs but am no longer interested in doing that either. To each their own.

https://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/dennis

https://www.painters-online.co.uk/art-community/blogview,digital-art_11379.htm

gergab

I see now. He probably just said he was doing pastel on acrylic to avoid the frown.
                                                    The only thing that would bother me if he did color picker while painting from a digital photograph. Thats kinda of like a cheat, but even then its after all just creating a picture.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.