You've chosen a difficult subject, Isobel. Very innovative tools that you're using
Your scratching back worked well.I'd like to make some suggestions to help you with the rooster.
1. Trace the outline- it's not considered as cheating here. If you don't want to trace then transfer the outline using the grid method. I'm attaching a sketch version with grid added.
2. Lay a thin layer of white down for the feathers. Use a black dermatograph marker (china marker) for the black on the feathers and a pencil for the fine lines
3. The comb can be a thin layer of red adding the detail with pencil
4. The feet are yellow ochre with a touch of burnt sienna adding detail with pencil
5. The background can be made using a combination of light blue and grey
6. The dry grass can be indicated with yellow ochre and light mauve or grey with white added
I do hope this helps you and look forward to seeing your work