WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Marine Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:51 PM

Hails from England
Little Sea

Oil on canvas 7" x 5".

Continuing on with the learning curve...

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Little Sea

Oooooh, I like this one a lot. Might I suggest being careful about the use of pure white? It may be just the photo but the whites in here seem dense. Your greens are gorgeous and work really well with the other colours going on in here. I'd happily hang this in my house.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 07:32 PM

Hails from England
Thumbs up Re: Little Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
Oooooh, I like this one a lot. Might I suggest being careful about the use of pure white? It may be just the photo but the whites in here seem dense. Your greens are gorgeous and work really well with the other colours going on in here. I'd happily hang this in my house.

Thanks Phranque,

With the white are you talking about the foam bursts on the tops of the waves, or the clouds (or both)?

I must admit I laid the white on really thick straight out of the tube to get a bit of texture.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

You're welome Richard.

I'd say both, but more so on the crests of the waves. Perhaps apply the paint thickly but have some other colour mixed in, and ad a tiny amount of bright white on top of that if necessary. I found that my work started improving when I left the white alone. I did this one (in acrylic) of my cats. The lightest paint is unbleached titanium, which is a light buff colour. When I use it I'm forced to cool it, or warm it, using various other paints. In real life there is very little that's pure blinding white, even snow. There are always exceptions but I find a lot of artists over use white. All that said, I looked and commented from my iPad. Now that I'm at my laptop computer, it doesn't jump out as much. Anyway, maybe just something to aware of when you're painting.
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 05:46 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
You're welome Richard.

I'd say both, but more so on the crests of the waves. Perhaps apply the paint thickly but have some other colour mixed in, and ad a tiny amount of bright white on top of that if necessary. I found that my work started improving when I left the white alone. I did this one (in acrylic) of my cats. The lightest paint is unbleached titanium, which is a light buff colour. When I use it I'm forced to cool it, or warm it, using various other paints. In real life there is very little that's pure blinding white, even snow. There are always exceptions but I find a lot of artists over use white. All that said, I looked and commented from my iPad. Now that I'm at my laptop computer, it doesn't jump out as much. Anyway, maybe just something to aware of when you're painting.

Thanks, I see what you mean.

I think I did a better job on my second small sea painting - more wet blending of the white into the shadow colours.

Nice painting of the cats BTW!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast
NY

Hails from United States

Great job on them waves Richard. There is a sense of movement and smart use of light in the center. The thick blobs of white paint is a prob for me sometimes. I just "shave" off the excess with a pallet knife. I am not an impressionist though Also,watch out for them little round foam holes all over the painting. Don't be like me please! haha
Alex
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:58 AM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudolino
Great job on them waves Richard. There is a sense of movement and smart use of light in the center. The thick blobs of white paint is a prob for me sometimes. I just "shave" off the excess with a pallet knife. I am not an impressionist though Also,watch out for them little round foam holes all over the painting. Don't be like me please! haha
Alex

Thanks for checking in Alex - great to hear from you

With the white bits I was going for a chunky texture there, but I now see the need for a bit of form and shadow with it too. I might continue to play with the impasto technique for foam, but will deffo tame down the whiteness in future!

Ah those foam holes, I must admit after looking at the painting with fresh eyes I noticed a "giraffe skin" effect going on On my second small scale sea painting I was mindful to make the foam more random.

Thanks for the tips as ever, and great to see you posting your beautiful seascapes in here - one of these days I'm going to have to buy one from you for my wall!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moore
Thanks, I see what you mean.

I think I did a better job on my second small sea painting - more wet blending of the white into the shadow colours.

Nice painting of the cats BTW!
Yeah, we tend to improve and learn as we paint.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast
NY

Hails from United States

Thanks a lot Richard! And sure would be glad to... I partly started painting because I wanted seascapes on my wall too

Another cool way to create great looking foam is to use sponge, Yes, pieces of ordinary sponge work like magic. Check out this video, if you interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWvKH2lDoXE
Too bad it's not in English but you will get the idea just by watching.

Cheers
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudolino
Thanks a lot Richard! And sure would be glad to... I partly started painting because I wanted seascapes on my wall too

Another cool way to create great looking foam is to use sponge, Yes, pieces of ordinary sponge work like magic. Check out this video, if you interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWvKH2lDoXE
Too bad it's not in English but you will get the idea just by watching.

Cheers

Thanks for the link Alex! And I thought I'd searched through all the seascape painting videos on YouTube Just goes to show there's always a gem buried in there somewhere - will give it a watch later.