Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Which is the fastest drying Water Mixable Oil Paint? Duo Aqua or Cobra?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AnArtist123

Oil paint is pretty. But it takes SOOOO long to dry.

Cobra has built in driers and is said to dry in 2 to 3 days.
        Holbein Duo Aqua web page does not say anything specific about drying time.

Any clues about the drying time of Holbein Duo Aqua vs. Cobra based on what you are mixing it with (water, oil, painting medium) would be most appreciated!

I’m using W&N Artisan for a short course in painting. But may switch brands for the next class in portraits. W&N definitely works better with the W&N painting mediums. But the drying time on most colors is still fairly slow even with the Fast Drying Medium.

Gigalot

Оil dries due to oxidation process and the drying speed is constant for most oils. Even driers can’t speed up oxidation, they will speed up decomposition of oxidized molecules. Therefore, you need a time to dry oil paint and you must wait until it dries. But you can add acrylic paint to your Aqua Duo as suggested by Holbein. Aqua Duo is fully compatible with Acrylic paint addition as well.
            Go to Holbein page and read that if you like. Acrylic paint can really speed up drying time of Aqua Duo!

Richard P

You could use fast drying pigments where possible, i.e. Mars Black, Burnt Umber, Dioxazine Violet, Prussian Blue are all fast dryers.

ilya K

There are too many factors. What will dry fast for someone, may turn out to be slow drying for you. I’ve read on manufacturers’ pages that their WMOs dry a bit faster than traditional oil paint. Yes, maybe compared to some paint but not others. If you want WMOs to dry much faster, guaranteed, maybe the only way is to use fast drying mediums, which are normally acrylic dispersion. I did not try them.

Ilya K
                    C&C always welcome

Don Ketchek

I agree with others in that you can not make any sort of general statement regarding brands. Some pigments dry faster than others. A major factor is what – and how much – medium you might be adding to your paint. More oil means longer drying time. Some mediums speed up drying time. The short answer is: learn to deal with the drying time if you want to paint in oils. Many painters deal with the drying time by working on multiple paintings at the same time.

Don

Richard P

Have you looked at Senelier Rive Gauche? In my testing of 4 of their paints they all were dry after 2 days and that’s when mixing with walnut oil and storing in the dark (I use paints that take a long time to dry).

Michael Lion

Oil paint is pretty. But it takes SOOOO long to dry.

Cobra has built in driers and is said to dry in 2 to 3 days.
                                Holbein Duo Aqua web page does not say anything specific about drying time.

Any clues about the drying time of Holbein Duo Aqua vs. Cobra based on what you are mixing it with (water, oil, painting medium) would be most appreciated!

I’m using W&N Artisan for a short course in painting. But may switch brands for the next class in portraits. W&N definitely works better with the W&N painting mediums. But the drying time on most colors is still fairly slow even with the Fast Drying Medium.

I haven’t used Cobra, but Duo Aqua dries faster than regular oils, probably because it has more driers added. I would agree that everything dries within 3 days, and most colors dry within one day.

On the other hand like other water miscible oils, the paint film can be sort of tacky for a very long time, like weeks or even months. Something to do with surfactant migration?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.