Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Internet Sales Strategies GoDaddy’s new GDCentral Site, how to save money

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Robin

I ditched etsy’s website after the frightening money grab 2 weeks ago. Plus I don’t think they’re supporting it for long. And they were so slow uploading that I was getting 3 second delays all of a sudden…not good for customer retention!

I went with GoDaddy’s GDCentral site, which works nicely and down the road I will be adding a store for my prints.

They are offering a free month. BUT I called with a question and the sales guy instead offered 30% off if I went for the year or more plus a year free of an email connected, which works out better financially.

I just have a bare bones up now but there’s lots of potential. I more than paid for it by ditching the etsy Pattern site and DailyPaintworks.

Robin

Harold Roth

That’s neat! Your new site looks nice and clean.

I am pulling in also. I had put up a Patreon site but just closed it yesterday because I couldn’t promote it the way other people on there can. Nothing has been happening on my Amazon site and they sent me an email saying I needed to do something with it soon or they will close it soon. That’s fine. Dailypaintworks I closed a bit ago because I sold one painting and then crickets. I noticed that even on the days when a painting was newly posted there were suddenly hardly any visits, so that was a waste of time.

OTOH, I sold one painting thanks to Instagram and two because of offering layaway on my art site. I feel like Instagram has some possibilities.

I tried Ugallery but they didn’t get back to me, so I’m entering two of the paintings I submitted to them to a local show sponsored by our city.

surreal

I ditched etsy’s website after the frightening money grab 2 weeks ago. Plus I don’t think they’re supporting it for long. And they were so slow uploading that I was getting 3 second delays all of a sudden…not good for customer retention!

I went with GoDaddy’s GDCentral site, which works nicely and down the road I will be adding a store for my prints.

They are offering a free month. BUT I called with a question and the sales guy instead offered 30% off if I went for the year or more plus a year free of an email connected, which works out better financially.

I just have a bare bones up now but there’s lots of potential. I more than paid for it by ditching the etsy Pattern site and DailyPaintworks.

Robin,
                How savvy, in terms of knowledge of code, does one have to be to set up a website on GoDaddy?
                Thanks!:)

Robin

THank, Harold!

Nina, none at all, I know zero code. First off, the GoDaddy rep that sells it to you helps you set it up and is VERY patient. They also have a training seminar but I didn’t need that, I watched it (45 minutes) but had already done all of the things except set up the ecommerce store, which I’m not going to do for a little while.

You pick a theme and basically fill in the boxes with YOUR text and photos. What you CAN’T do is totally customize it which is fine with me. I’m not a web designer.

After you publish for the first time, they have pop up boxes to walk you through SEO. One of my goals this year is to sell more locally. So I was able to do that on my Pricing page by saying where I ship from. If all I get SEO wise is more local, I’ll be very happy.

Robin

surreal

THank, Harold!

Nina, none at all, I know zero code. First off, the GoDaddy rep that sells it to you helps you set it up and is VERY patient. They also have a training seminar but I didn’t need that, I watched it (45 minutes) but had already done all of the things except set up the ecommerce store, which I’m not going to do for a little while.

You pick a theme and basically fill in the boxes with YOUR text and photos. What you CAN’T do is totally customize it which is fine with me. I’m not a web designer.

After you publish for the first time, they have pop up boxes to walk you through SEO. One of my goals this year is to sell more locally. So I was able to do that on my Pricing page by saying where I ship from. If all I get SEO wise is more local, I’ll be very happy.

Thanks so much, Robin, for this very helpful information.

AnnieA

Yes, thank you, Robin. This may be worth looking into and I appreciate all the info.

One thing that I noticed that made me pause was that you said your portrait of Sarge “[em]is[/em] my first oil painting.” Since it’s right at the beginning, the first impression that could be left is that you are very new to painting. I doubt that’s what you want, so you might change it to “was my first oil painting” and give a date. They say that people often make split second decisions whether to explore a site further, so I thought I might mention this issue to you.

But that issue aside, you site looks terrific! Very professional-looking and the writing feels very upbeat. Great job and thanks again for the review of the service.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                            [FONT=Palatino]
                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Harold Roth

One thing that I noticed that made me pause was that you said your portrait of Sarge “[em]is[/em] my first oil painting.” Since it’s right at the beginning, the first impression that could be left is that you are very new to painting. I doubt that’s what you want, so you might change it to “was my first oil painting” and give a date. They say that people often make split second decisions whether to explore a site further, so I thought I might mention this issue to you.

I noticed that too. Maybe put that on your About page, where you can mentioned how long you’ve been painting. Then put your latest paintings on your home page.

bongo

Why is it important to label it your “first”. The implication is that – this isn’t that good but it was my first effort. In which case why show it.

Or – this was my first effort and look how good I already was! – then why not show us how good you are now?

Better imo to just show “sarge” – (which btw is a very good painting.) without an qualification.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                    STUDIOBONGO

Robin

Thanks for the advice on Sarge.

I’ll fix that now.

I’m going to use that spot to sell “daily” paintings when I get around to them and THAT painting is never going to be for sale since Sarge is in doggy heaven!

Robin

surreal

If it’s alright with you, could you tell me which godaddy plan you are using, Robin and Harold?

yuliart

Thank you for info, Robin! Your new site looks great.
                                                I am also looking for a way to ditch Etsy (and DPW as well).

And I have the same question as Nina (surreal) about a plan.

Robin

I am using the most expensive one, the GoCentral one.

Robin

Your site looks great. It’s speedy to scroll through too. I like that.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                    Find me on Instagram
                                                    Find me on Facebook

surreal

I am using the most expensive one, the GoCentral one.

Thank you, Robin! :)

Harold Roth

If it’s alright with you, could you tell me which godaddy plan you are using, Robin and Harold?

I don’t use Godaddy for webhosting. I use Shopify.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.