Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Internet Sales Strategies Can’t find a decent Print-On-Demand (POD) source, mid 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ArtMaybe

Who do YOU recommend for Print-On-Demand product fulfillment in mid 2019? I don’t need thousands of product possibilities. No toilet seats, duvets or capri pants (heh heh). I need posters, art prints, shirts, coffee mugs, mousepads and maybe some stickers.

I’ve been going round and round trying to find just one POD that provides:

1. Consistently good print quality

2. Good materials upon which the images are printed
        (quality papers, garments, etc.)

3. Reliable delivery

4. Decent customer service,
        for the artist and his/her customers

I started out researching Zazzle but found too many complaints about inconsistent printing results (due to outsourcing the printing). Redbubble was said to be superior, but looking at independent user-review sites such as Trustpilot reveals lots of complaints about Redbubble print quality, especially on garments. Then Printful appeared to be the better choice, but digging deeper revealed the same problems.

I can’t get a handle on pricing, either. Some reviews say Printful prices and earning potential are better than on Redbubble, but other reviews say the opposite…

And all three seem to have serious problems with shipping/delivery. For example, an American customer purchased a T-shirt and a few other small garments from Printiful. Printful found it convenient to outsource the items via some foreign subcontractor. After shipping the products out, Printful notified the American customer that s/he was expected to pay $131.00 in customs and international shipping charges! And Printful’s response to the complaint by the artist on an independent review site was to simply say, “…we’re sorry to hear of your difficulty and we hope to do better in the future…”

All the responses I read by PODs to complaints on the independent user review sites appear to be thoughtless, canned replies that merely attempt to deflect the criticism.

I really need to find a reliable POD.
        Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Liz

No company is perfect and with all PODs you are going to get inconsistent printing because of the fact that the product is being printed as the order comes in and not in batches. There’s Imagekind but they only do prints and not products like mugs, etc. There is also Society6 but I’m not familiar with them, they do a few more products besides prints.

My Art
            --------------------

members

The only POD I ever sold on or stayed with for long was redbubble. They’re not, IMO, what they used to be, seemingly lost in the glitches of constant, unwanted changes that they don’t fix before adding more changes. Also, if ‘community’ matters, they’ve been dismantling it piece by agonizing piece for years. No forums at all now, which is often where other tech savvy members helped others navigate changes much more efficiently than RB support.

Quality of products isn’t bad except tee shirts that I personally find too scratchy and ill fitting. Their current shirt supplier isn’t as good as their old one, American Apparel, which went under a few yrs ago. I’m really picky about fit and fabric and it’s hard for me to find tee shirts I like. Most people seem ok with RB’s tees. (Shirt itself)

Print quality is good at RB in my experience. I suspect complaints could be the result of the many infringers selling images they got from screenshots or small web display sized images they copied and saved. Just because they can blow it up to satisfy the site’s minimum pixels per side requirements for products doesn’t mean it will be a sharp, quality image.

While constant, time consuming changes were ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’ for me one day about 4 yrs ago, I’d have closed my shop about then anyway, due to the rapid growth of infringements, which was happening especially badly on ALL PODs. I had the luxury of being able to shutter my shop. Those who had built a real income from POD sales and depended on it, are faced with rampant image theft and to contain it at all have to spend hours every week sending DMCA takedowns to Amazon, and Aliexpress, and countless tee shirt sites, many hosted overseas so it’s hard to get them to comply with US laws. The POD sites’ watermark options are weak but better than nothing. While you can use your own, stronger one, on blogs and social media, the image file you upload for printing prints as is, so can’t have a big watermark in the middle. Infringers bypass the PODs watermark by getting an unmarked product view. Members asked to be able to apply the watermark to all views if they wanted but were not given the option.

Products I’ve bought at RB (both with my own and other people’s work): tee shirts, graphic tees, scarves, all 3 kinds of cups, photographic prints, art reprints, matted print, throw pillow covers, cards.

One of the changes or glitches they made and never fixed was what you can buy of your own work on private view: I can no longer buy my own art on tees there.

Commenting on and ‘Favoriting’ works there has been messed up for awhile now. On some products you can’t comment at all.

‘Groups,’ one the last places members can have discussion threads, aren’t being supported by RB and members see the pattern as with the forums and other long dead community features, that lack of site support is usually followed by removal of the feature. Journals, the members’ ability to create updates and news and such, are more hidden now and even some members seem unaware they exist much less how to find and read others’ journal posts. If community isn’t important to you this may be irrelevant, but community features used to be an effective way to self promote and now sales to other RB members might be harder. Often it was other members who bought.

Even though that looks bleak, comparatively, I still feel RB is one of, if not the, best of the PODs. (Doesn’t say much for PODs in general!) As of my last glance at these things, artists still had more control over their prices than many other PODs. There seems to be fewer obstacles to being featured though they do tend to concentrate now on popular styles/subjects of graphic art.

ArtMaybe

…you are going to get inconsistent printing because […] the product is being printed as the order comes in and not in batches.

Thanks for that perspective. I think the problem also stems from the many outsource printers/suppliers these PODS now use. I see one of the big PODs touting the $6,000,000 they invested recently in top-quality printing equipment, but what’s the benefit of that when most of their product is being produced in (perhaps) awful little shops, printing awfully on awful substrate garments, papers, etc. These PODs may have produced great quality in-house and/or locally at the outset, but quickly outgrew their facilities based on such good reputations. Now they throw it all away by outsourcing to substandard subcontractors. The circle of (business) life in the 21st century.

There’s [B]Imagekind [/B]but they only do prints and not products like mugs, etc.

I’ll look into Imagekind. I’m not averse to diversifying my sources for different product types (unless there are hidden complications of which I’m still blissfully unaware).

There is also Society6 but I’m not familiar with them, they do a few more products besides prints.

I’ve read enough about Society6 to know they’re not for me, but thanks.

ArtMaybe

The only POD I ever sold on or stayed with for long was Redbubble. They’re not, IMO, what they used to be, seemingly lost in the glitches of constant, unwanted changes that they don’t fix before adding more changes. Also, if ‘community’ matters, they’ve been dismantling it piece by agonizing piece for years. No forums at all now, which is often where other tech-savvy members helped others navigate changes much more efficiently than RB support.

HA! Thanks for writing such a detailed, useful and practical guide, Cindy! I’ve quoted only your opening paragraph because you convey so much good information that I fear I’d end up quoting the whole thing otherwise.

In reading everything about these PODS that seems worthwhile, I saw an article (no longer sure where, maybe on RB’s own site) commending them for “expanding and investing in their business to such an extent.” The author made it sound like all the disruptive changes are a win-win, especially beneficial to the artists. I don’t know if it’ll shake out that way (most things don’t in business) and your own experiences prove otherwise, so… time will tell, I guess. :evil:

Point taken re. possible other causes of poorly printed images. Add to the list you provided the possibility that the purveyor of the image (not necessarily an artist or the original artist) may have submitted the image as an RGB color file, rather than CMYK whose color gamut is suited to print inks.

I’m glad to know that you’ve been relatively satisfied with product quality of late. I decided to set up an RB acct based on a couple of reviews that claimed RB’s product quality was/is superior to Zazzle’s. But later I found equally believable reviews that say RB quality is hit-or-miss at best. So I’ll take your remarks as a benchmark with the understanding that nothing’s assured.

As for ripoffs of intellectual property, I don’t know what to suggest. Copyright law only affords the artist OPPORTUNITY to sue the perpetrator, but the perpetrators are little rats who aren’t worth suing – and they know it. And if a marketplace website takes down one of their ill-gotten designs the rats just put up another. I saw an online interview with a psychologist on the subject of Narcissists. She mentioned a recent study that concluded that being an actual narcissist is a good indicator of success in what passes for “business” these days. Despite all the technological advances–and in some ways because of them–we’re living through some dark times.

As for community message boards sponsored by and maintained by the POD itself, I’m not surprised they’re letting those die off – based on the surprisingly low level of product integrity, delivery consistency and customer service dedication reported by so many customers and artists. The PODs probably would like to put an end to ALL user-to-user interaction. The facts are bad for business.

Even though that looks bleak, comparatively, I still feel RB is one of, if not the, best of the PODs. (Doesn’t say much for PODs in general!) As of my last glance at these things, artists still had more control over their prices than many other PODs. There seems to be fewer obstacles to being featured though they do tend to concentrate now on popular styles/subjects of graphic art.

Based on your final paragraph I’ll try Redbubble and think of it as my first POD. I’ve always been a fan of Down Unda. and like you, I can’t find anything consistently better in terms of both product quality and earning potential.

BTW, I’ve been learning a lot about how some/many/most(?) POD “artists” approach selling their designs/art online. Rather than follow their own creative instincts and courageously offer their honest work product for sale, these money-grubbing opertunists figure out what’s selling and then cater their “designs” to that specific trend. No creative spark. No inspiration or joy. Just pure opertunism, and THAT is what’s wrong with this picture (sez I).

Thanks for your excellent post.

Harold Roth

I’ve been using Printful for a while. They do well with color printing on mugs, and they also do well with totes if your image is highly contrastive black and white. Color and grays don’t work on the totes, but the black and white are nice and crisp. However, my experience of their prints was that they were muddy and scratched. I have not had any such experience as a European printer printing something a customer ordered. As far as I know, all the stuff I order from them is printed by them in NC. I don’t allow international shipping at all because the mugs I sell are way too heavy for that to be doable.

For my art prints, I used to print them myself but now I am using gicleetoday.com, which makes nice prints and offers them in a variety of paper types, including what I was using before, Epson HP Bright White. My profit is not as high but my aggravation and time spent is way less. I am actually going to be expanding the prints I drop-ship through my art site because of customer requests on some recent paintings.

I looked at RedBubble but I thought the prices were too high for products. Like I saw a nice little notepad I wanted, but it was $17. Heck no. I figure some things are not worth printing on.

The theft of content is huge with Tshirts. A friend of mine makes a lot of wonderful Tshirt designs and constantly finds them ripped off by people who do nothing but sell Tshirts with stolen designs. We are talking sites with hundreds of designs. Most of my art would not suit a Tshirt anyhow, but I think I will never venture into that. In fact, I chose mugs and totes to sell on a separate site precisely because I thought it would be hard to copy those images.

members

You’re welcome! Your points excerpted below are pretty accurate when describing the direction many businesses have gone, and why. I hope we see a return to ethics again.

HA! Thanks for writing such a detailed, useful and practical guide, Cindy! … As for ripoffs of intellectual property, I don’t know what to suggest. Copyright law only affords the artist OPPORTUNITY to sue the perpetrator, but the perpetrators are little rats who aren’t worth suing…I saw an online interview with a psychologist on the subject of Narcissists. She mentioned a recent study that concluded that being an actual narcissist is a good indicator of [U]success[/U] in what passes for “business” these days. Despite all the technological advances–and in some ways [I]because[/I] of them–we’re living through some dark times. … The PODs probably would like to put an end to ALL user-to-user interaction. The facts are bad for business…BTW, I’ve been learning a lot about how some/many/most(?) POD “artists” approach selling their designs/art online. Rather than follow their own creative instincts and courageously offer their honest work product for sale, these money-grubbing opertunists figure out what’s selling and then cater their “designs” to that specific trend. No creative spark. No inspiration or joy. Just pure opertunism…

missionsart

I tried

1. Printed Mint: I was happy with the quality and the packaging. Five Stars here.
                                    2. Printful (not to be confused with Printify) with the same image same size and it was horrible! I mean the color in areas looked like it had not adhered to the paper. Oh and they removed my review with pictures saying it was not a reflection of the quality of their “product”.
                                    3. Next up is actually Staples. I’ll update this review.

members

3. Next up is actually Staples. I’ll update this review.

Interested to know how it worked out.

Liz

I ordered a few jigsaw puzzles with my digital art from Staples, they turned out fantastic.

My Art
                                            --------------------

missionsart

I tried Staples. I chose to print 24 x 18″ print on regular heavyweight matte paper. The price $9.99 was great. The paper was good. The blues came out a bit more green-blue. They reprinted to try to get the colors right but the only way to make the color true was to go with the gloss paper. The color on the gloss paper was very good. It was an abstract painting and looked pretty good even with the blue color a bit off so overall I was very happy. I kept the matte version with the green-blue color.

I was going to suggest Walmart only because I saw some prints at a guy’s studio that looked fantastic, but now, after reading this thread, I looked over Society6 and I would absolutely use them if it were me. I bookedmarked them for the future.

Jennie

Great discussion. Thanks.
                                                    Any Australians reading this post?

I’m just moving to this field. Any suggestions or warnings will be most appreciated.

Jennie
                                                    "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                                                    @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

Liz

Another I just came across is Artpal, you can sell your originals as well as prints with their POD service

My Art
                                                        --------------------

missionsart

updated below in separate post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.