Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mattrpillar

Hi folks, I’ve recently fallen in love with the look of encaustics. I’ve been dying to try my hand at making my own projects, but I am also fearful of what would happen to my creations in really hot weather. Living in Australia can be challenging when it is full Summer. Candlesticks will melt if left in their holders. Does anyone else live in a hotspot that has experience with the medium?

Check out WetCanvas member La and her awesome creations here in this forum and also on Abstracts/Contemporary forum HERE

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Bartc

If you are into traditional hot wax techniques, I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer’s specs on melting temps. I don’t think this is actually a problem with properly made encaustic materials.

If you’d like to play with a wax based paint that I KNOW doesn’t melt when exposed to ordinary household temps, then look into Ceracolors.

Cyndi L

I am so relieved that someone knew the answer to this question! Encaustics have not (yet) made it into my house. Welcome to MM, Matt :)

Mattrpillar

Thank you for the feedback. I had visions of creating a masterpiece, and then having it slide onto the kitchen floor on a hot January day. I suppose I could have a quick chat to the people at the art store just to be safe.

contumacious

You can easily test various mixes to see how they behave at different temperatures. Adding more Damar Resin and / or harder waxes like Carnauba to your mix raises the melting point but it also makes the mix more brittle. If you work in rigid surfaces that are cradled so they won’t flex you can go pretty hard.

https://www.encaustic.com/techniq/fineart/fineart_recipes/fineart_recipes.html

The harder wax mixtures are of course harder to work with when it comes to scraping / scribing etc., so you may need to warm them up for those techniques. They are also less “sticky” so you need to be sure to fuse the layers well.

Make a test panel and put it in the warmest place it might sit for an extended period and see what happens. Direct sun of course is to be avoided. I put a warning on the back of each piece so that the buyer won’t leave it in a non air conditioned car when transporting it, or a hot location for extended periods. You can test your medium to see at what point it starts to soften and put that temperature on your warning label.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.