WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 05:09 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Too Good To Use... Hardbound 2004-05

Thank you, Debby! I want to do some more of them today, only got today and tomorrow for this Hunt but everything on it should be doable unlike some of them. So I may get back into this one today, do some quick drawing.

Viv, thank you! Yeah, since I started the sketch-mania last fall, I'm coming up on a year of it. The differences are striking when I look at last year's stuff.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Back to this book today for the Oil Pastel challenge. I got these pastels from Blick in a thank-you box a couple of months ago, that was great of them. I've been keeping them handy and may do some more with them, they've got a great texture for sketchbook work.

Flower - Pink Petunia
6" x 9"
Faber-Castell Creative Studio oil pastels
Hardbound sketchbook paper, smooth white 65lb.
Photo reference by oldrockchick for Sept. 2010 Oil Pastel Challenge.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Wow, that is intense. The colors are so deep.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM

Pastels make me anxious, because I feel like I have so little control over them, but nothing beats their intensity. Very nice!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Ooooo this is so cool! Love that bright cerise pink!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Debby, thank you! That's the fun thing about oil pastels, being able to get strong color like that with only a couple of layers.

Bootz, thank you! One trick with oil pastels to keep control is to just work a bit larger and don't expect to get as much detail. Have you ever tried oil pastels? You mentioned crayon art, they handle a little more like that but are much more opaque and a bit softer. Dry pastels, soft pastels (sometimes called chalk pastels but only the student ones have chalk as filler) are dustier and a little harder to control. Work big and it's much less of a problem.

There's also tricks for getting hard edges and fine details by using tools, scraping and so on - read my website on it, the oil pastels site is in my signature. I just added a new article today with this painting in it, it's my demo painting.

Rachel, thank you! I remember my grandmother had petunias exactly that shade of bright cerise pink, the photo reference reminded me of them but I was adjusting the color to fit my memory of her garden in the summers. It's funny, the more I paint, the better my visual memory is even for things that happened long ago when I couldn't draw yet and didn't understand color.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Kind of like when you smell something it takes you back! I'm sure it happens visually also. Theres always something magical about a Grandmothers garden! I have fond memories of mine :-)
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes Rachel! Willow trees and oleander plants remind me of my gran's garden. It was nothing fancy but the willow tree was fun to climb as a kid!

Robert those oil pastels do have a lovely deep colour - have you tried using them with thinners to get a more "painted" look? I must confess they look too messy for me ( I might get my hands dirty!) and, obviously, I wouldn't be able to get those tight details that drive me insane....
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! Yeah, I have tried thinners with oil pastels, they work well. Most of the time I do that on underlayers and work over them though. On the outermost layers of oil pastel works I like to have more of the pastel texture, though I've sometimes used a colour shaper to blend them smooth and push color into small details. I've done realism with oil pastels before, about 5" x 7" or 4" x 6" in size. I haven't tried doing realism at the ATC size but anything larger, I can manage it if I'm careful with them.

It is possible to get a lot of tight detail with them. Different brands have different textures, in some ways that's easier with Sennelier oil pastels. They're very soft, more like thick paint, exactly like painting with lipstick. Bring in rubber Colour Shapers to push the color around and clean up hard edges and it's very easy to get tight details and realism. Just not usually down onto ATC size, though I may give it a try sometime.

They do get on my hands a bit but nowhere near as much as dry pastels. I keep the papers on the sticks and just peel them at the top when they wear down, unlike some pastelists that take them off. It's not hard to keep clean while working as long as I keep a painting rag at hand to wipe my fingers.

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

O it is worth getting fingers dirty to feel the scrunch and smoosh of oil pastels!! Small unwrapped pieces mess me up but a simple paper towel now & then keeps it reasonable and plain soap & water wash it up. Because they are wider than any pencil medium I can fill up a sketchbook page rather quickly with a bold impressionistic scene or still life. Very satisfying!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

That's a beautiful flower Robert. I have a small oil pastel set but like most of art supplies I've collected I haven't got around really doing anything with them yet. The use of thinners or mineral spirts concerns me though, and I know I'd be tempted to try that. Especially with your health issues, who knows how that might effect you over time? Unfortunately these art supplies are really not as non-toxic as the labels might seem to lead us to believe. Even those of us that are healthy now could over time develope issues with constant exposure. My other hobby is model building and I use CA glue a lot, (Cyaonacrylate or "Super Glue") and I developed an allergy to the fumes it produces. It took my a while to realize that it was my glue that was making my nose run, eyes water and sneeze. I'm now using a form of CA glue called "Foam Safe" that for some reason doesn't cause that allergic reaction in most people. So far it's been good but now I'm a little gun shy and try to use it minimally and I definately don't take the Dremel grinder to it, (now that generates some serious fumes!). I know of people that one whiff of CA glue will put them in the bed for several days. Anyway, the whole point to that story is I am leary of anything that gives off fumes. Even if it doesn't seem to effect me while I'm using it who knows what damage or effect it's having on my body over time?

David
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you both! Candace, yep, when I use my oil pastels I work large. It breaks me free of the miniature format, I at least get up into the postcard to letter size paintings.

David, I don't worry too much about the fumes. I don't use thinners very often and do have great ventilation in my room with the HEPA filter I got to deal with pastel dust and dust in general. I also use Winsor & Newton Sansodor for my thinner or Bestine rubber cement thinner or a citrus paint thinner cleaner that unfortunately can't be used as a painting medium. I use citrus for all the cleanup and Sansodor or Bestine for thinner effects on colored pencils or oil pastels - unless I'm using watersolubles and just use water.

I rotate what mediums I use so many times that really, I'm probably not getting regular exposure to anything but pigments. Which is why I keep painting rags handy including damp ones to keep washing up while working.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Immortalized
The beautiful Caboolture Shire

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
It's not hard to keep clean while working as long as I keep a painting rag at hand to wipe my fingers.

I use non-alcohol baby wipes, they are fantastic at keeping your hands clean, and to "correct" any mistakes..... especially when I use mixed media and get acrylic over the oil pastels part.... I just gently wipe the acrylic paint off and voila!!!!!

Oh they are fantastic for removing dried acrylics off canvas, paper, brushes and hands too!!!!!

Hugs
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Stacey, that's a good idea. I don't usually have them around but I remember those were good for just about everything. One thing I love using for my hands is the Artist's Hand Soap. I got a small bar in the "Artist Survival Kit" along with Kiss-Off and Master's Brush Cleaner-Conditioner and loved how well it gets everything off my hands, even oils. It's better than Lava, which is what I used to use back in New Orleans.

Got back to pastels today because that little Mungyo set was handy and I was watching free videos at Jerry's Artarama. An oils demo gave me the idea of trying it in pastel - here it is, I think it worked!

A Wave Study
8 1/2" x 11"
Mungyo Gallery soft pastel half sticks
Hardbound sketchbook 65lb smooth white paper.
Inspired by "Crashing Waves" oil painting video by Wilson Bickford at Jerry's Artarama.

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Oh WOW!!! YES it worked!!! This is awesome Robert! Took me by susrprise actually, a very powerful piece!!