WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Blick Canvas-Covered Book

I got a surprise package from Dick Blick a few days ago, a thank you for all the times I've posted honestly about their great service and low prices (unbeatable, actually, after all these years they keep surprising me with those things) and for tossing more than half my spending money at them for the past five years. Hardly a month goes by that I don't do a Blick order.

This sketchbook, from the goodie box, is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", hardback with a black cover and a cool natural canvas sewn book cover with the Blick logo on a small stitched pocket. The pocket holds seven or eight loose pencils, depending on how thick they are. In the pocket, they sent a sample pack of three Blick Studio drawing pencils, HB, 2B and 4B.

The hardback sketchbook is still available at the site for $3.99 - a good bargain for a hardbound sketchbook. It's got smooth bright white pages, fairly lightweight but sturdy and they did stand up to some heavy erasing when I tried it. I couldn't find the canvas book cover on the site, but I may be looking in the wrong places for it. Or they might have discontinued it. It's very cool. It's handy having the pencils on it!

So I used those pencils to do the first page on the inside, and sprayed Blick Workable Matte Fixative on it so that it doesn't smudge the canvas flap or inside cover. I did the sketch in HB and then built up the darks with 2B, then built up the deepest darks again with 4B. That got me some good deep darks. I spent about fifteen minutes on it and Ari rolled around a bit, sat up and washed himself and laid down again during the process. He moved his paws like that after I got most of his face in so I had to add in the paws.

I'll have fun using more dry mediums in this sketchbook. It may become another one like the Scribble Sketch books with lots of quick studies and cat sketches. A slightly longer cat study looked like a good thing to open it up with!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ari-Sleeping-Blick-Book-August-2-2010.jpg (117.0 KB, 79 views)

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Blick Canvas-Covered Book

The pocket on the front of the book cover sounds great. Have you tried putting a small selection of pens in there? Covers like that can be re-used. Just buy a new sketchbook, strip the cover off the full one and put it on the next one.

Ari is adorable sleeping like that. Great use of pencils to create the values.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Nice sketch to start the book off with

The sketchbook itself sounds great and I like the idea of the cover to hold your pencils or pens. I am sure you will put it to good use
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yep! The cover's permanent. The sketchbook's only $3.99 so I'll have no qualms about filling it again and again. Thanks, Debby and Jackie!

I think pens are a great idea because the clips will hold them in the pocket when I'm turning it in order to get at this or that part of the drawing. When I'm drawing, I take the rest of the pencils out and put them on the table or they wind up in my lap or on the floor. But pens might stay put!

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

So fluffy
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hey Robert,

Could you post pictures of this new toy?! I know I would be glad to see it. Also could you find the link for the sketchbook on dick blicks? I am still looking for it.

Zen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I think this is the sketchbook - http://www.dickblick.com/products/bl...nd-sketchbook/ but it might be this one instead: http://www.dickblick.com/products/ca...c-sketchbooks/ - the description on the Blick one says it has cream colored pages but the pages on mine are bright white.

I've started another page in it with Scavenger Hunt sketches of my cat, so when I finish that page I'll post them. Meanwhile, here's a photo of my Blick goodies all spread out, the sketchbook is among them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blick-Freebies-July-29-2010.jpg (228.0 KB, 60 views)

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh what the heck, I posted it in the Scavenger Hunt thread, I'll post it here. You'll see it again when the page is done too. I like how this little pen sketch came out, I got his expression well. Could not resist that adorable look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunt-187-1.jpg (40.4 KB, 56 views)

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Wow! Did they give you all of that?! Nice recycled bag too. I've never seen that set of pastels from faber-castel. Probably never looked at them but they seem kind of cool. I also see your "big-brush-pen" set too

Zen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

They are good oil pastels. They're not the usual Faber Castell line, the Goldfaber ones are children's oil pastels but these seem geared more to illustrators and adult hobbyists. Yep, that's where I got the big brush pen set! I'm really enjoying all of the items in this package - and the good green recycling bag is one that I'm going to use till it falls apart, it's excellent.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

LOL. Ari washing. Too cute.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I love that one. I've seen him do it thousands of times and always thought it was so cute when he does that, but this time I managed to sketch it before he stopped.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Robert the first sketch of Ari is beautiful! I just wanna hug him!!! And the scavenger hunt one is great too, you really captured that look when they wash their head, very cute!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Robert, what an awesome little sketchbook & that cover can be really handy if you're going out and want to grab a 'on the go' sketchbook!!

You know how much i love Ari, but that front page is just awesome and his cute little expression for the scavenger hunt is priceless - he looks so content with life!! Great drawings & absolutely awesome art supplies (you know i'm still jealous right - LOL )
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks! And thanks for reminding me I have tons of supplies, I'm fighting the addiction so that I can hang onto my savings even though I got all these coupons in my email.