WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Utah

Hails from United States
Uinta Mountains

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Uinta Mountains
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting I feel I need to stop working on. I think my ceaseless revisions have reached the point at which they are making things worse so it’s time to see what suggestions you veterans might be kind of enough to share. Some of the aspects of the painting I’m struggling with are these:

1. The purple fading of the background mountains is a little too strong (too purple). The real life subject really does fade to a nice purple but it hasn’t translated well in the painting.

2. The foreground aspen tree lacks “body” and depth. It was too tentatively painted and lacks convincing patte<br>s of light and shade.

3. The foreground pine is too rigid. It needs more character.

Do you agree with these criticisms? Any other suggestions?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm a beginner painter and am eager to improve. I'm open to all types of feedback.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Utah

Hails from United States
Re: Uinta Mountains

Moderator, I actually meant to post this in the structured critique area. Would you mind moving it if it's not much trouble? Or you could leave it here. Not a big deal. Thanks.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

This is a beautiful painting .I think all the colours are very well done. Love the soft feel and trees. Has plenty of depth and character in the trees. Arnie
Try sending the moderators a private message to get it moved to Structured.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Århus

Hails from Denmark

I agree with problems 1 and 3 completely. To solve 1, I would add a bit of purple shades into the closer mountain, and a bit more greens into the furthest mountain. Do not make mud. but make a better transition.
I think problem 3, your pine is a little stiff, is also correct. But it is almost there. I think the trees behind it on the right are also a little stiff - they are all about the same pattern.
problem 2 I disagree. The trees on the left have the most interest and character. They do not need to be perfectly painted, that is when they might get stiff.
I would put the painting away, facing the wall, for a few weeks. Then turn it around, with you eyes closed, run across the room and put a mirror up, so you see the painting inverted. This is a great trick to see errors pop out at you. If you have been looking at it too long you can't see it anymore.
Overall a nice painting. Glad to see you want some constructive crits instead of mushy praise.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Tamil Nadu State ,India

Hails from India

I feel its a good one.. Soft colors.. Love the trees in the foreground-wonderfully done..Hats off!

Saravanan.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

i'm noticing issues with the blur factor, the central foreground to middle ground, would like more focus for the foremost to support the poplar/pine and push the illusion of distance even more

love the tidy pine; agree the poplar could use a bit more focus

la