Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Going on Motorcycle Painting Tour – need some tips

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    esshesse

Title says most of it – I usually paint indoors with an easel and a large backing where I tape my canvas to. The large board piece isn’t going to be easy to travel with, however, and I need a new method. Does anyone have any ideas? I might just have to limit the size of my paintings and deal with it.

ilya K

I have bought a table easel like on the picture below. It has no legs, so you need to either hold it on your lap, not easy, or put it on something stable. But fits into any backpack. I used 50×65 cm oil paper cut in quarters, fixed on a piece of corrugated packaging pad. Since the resulting sheets are exactly the size of the easel, the box that the easel is shipped in can be used to store two wet sheets, fixed to inner sides with paper clips. The drawer holds your paper palette.

Ilya K
            C&C always welcome

ntl

I vaguely remember a fellow doing bicycle touring. Try googling bike touring, orbike plain air wet canvas. Try searching that in the plain air forum, air asking about it there. Have fun!

ntl

Sorry plein air

Humbaba

I need to apologize, but from someone who tried to paint plein air carrying basic utilities into the mountains using a 4X4 vehicle, a motorcycle is only fitted for sketching, water color or to take pictures for later to painting in the studio.

Oil painting can be quite messy, if you are going to undertake this trip anyway, make sure to acquire baby wipes, and or Winsor & Newton ArtGuard cream.

b123

Sounds like you are going on an interesting journey! What a way to travel and experience the landscape. I have written a few blog posts[/URL] with tips and techniques for plein air painting, and which equipment and supplies to take with you in order to cut down on weight and space issues. I hope this helps.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

ntl
                                OK

You need to tell us where you intend going? Is it going to be an extended trip or just a day out?
                                    Here is my current viewfinder on a day trip.

Five year extended trips are quite different and you’ll need a different sort of bike and very little kit.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                    — Allen Ginsberg
                                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

esshesse

You need to tell us where you intend going? Is it going to be an extended trip or just a day out?
                                        Here is my current viewfinder on a day trip.
                                        [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/23-Nov-2019/95424-Landscape_282.jpg[/IMG]

Five year extended trips are quite different and you’ll need a different sort of bike and very little kit.

Hey Dave, I live in Vietnam and travel by bike everywhere anyway, but I’ll be biking thru the countryside for Xmas break, down from Da Nang (where I live) to Gia Lai province to visit some friends, and back. Still planning out the trip, but some of it will go through here, on the golden loop:

http://vietnamcoracle.com/the-golden-loop-central-vietnam-by-motorbike/

If you haven’t been, there is beautiful countryside here.

OK

Sounds like a great thing to do over Crimble, so the bike part of things you will have sorted as the locals know more about packing a bike than anyone!.

When I go painting outside with a group inevitably the best painters have the worst gear that they have just botched together from what they have.

Canvas or paper taped on a piece of light board should work. If you have two pieces of board the same size you can use blue tack to separate them while the two paintings dry, once dried they can go in a document envelope. Clip the board to the bike or other things while you paint.

My Wife did a trip following the Mekong River using local bikes a few years ago.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                            — Allen Ginsberg
                                            Are you ready for a Journey?
                                            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Journeyman, nice Benelli. Just seeing this thread makes me want to join in on the plein-air moto club.

Op, if you’re somewhere already and are looking to switch up, you might consider the cigar box + aluminum field easel + x2 clamps setup.

Facebook: https://bit.ly/3aEGyTQ
                                            Instagram: https://bit.ly/3cRPkAs
                                            www.jonbradley.art

esshesse

I’m admiring the benelli as well.

It should be an interesting trip. I’m worried it will be rainy as monsoon season is coming up so I might end up pushing it to TET holiday in February but we will see and I’ll post updates.

I’m also thinking acrylics rather than oils. I don’t know how I’ll pack the oils well and I’m a pretty messy painter as it is.

esshesse

here’s a few

[url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561796[/url]

[url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332668[/url]

[url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148112[/url]

[url]https://www.pinterest.com/pin/360288038924644253/[/url]

Yes, thank you, sorry for not responding earlier, but I appreciate all the responses so far. Just been busy with work and other things, but I did check these out. I’m not sure if I can get a good quality french box easel shipped to Vietnam by Xmas, or even shipped here at all as shipping can be hit or miss.

I’ve never done plein air before, so I think I’ll try it this weekend near my home and see how it goes. My best guess for the ride will be to cut a board into a smaller size, and strap it to the back of my bike along with my aluminum easel and all other supplies. Will be tedious taping to the board – also don’t know what I’ll use as a pallette. I imagine I should buy a second easel or a foldable tabletop to place the paints and things.

Ted B.

Somwhere I have an article written during the 1920s with advice for the young student artist or architect about to do their “year in Europe”…in a more inocent age. The author recomended a good-quality used motocycle and sidecar to explore the countryside since a motorcycle could get into the ancient villages and country roads where a car couldn’t go back then. It listed the supplies, gear …and parts… to pack in your side car to explore France, Spain or Italy with. One advantage they listed was that often you could get the motorcycle on the train in the baggage or mail-post car as “luggage”.

I’d consider getting one of those Baikal offroad motorcycles with sidecar. They have a driveshaft to the sidecar’s wheel for extra traction offroad, and a reverse gear for backing up. The front steering’s designed to adjust for extra stability to counteract the sidecar’s drag.

I could see watercolors and a sketchbook, but I’m hard-pressed to image how to deal with wet “oil” paintings…even in canvas boards or oil-paper. Even when I travel in my Jeep SUV, the back can fill quickly with canvas-storage boxes.

Radical Fundemunsellist

ilya K

I’d consider getting one of those Baikal offroad motorcycles with sidecar. They have a driveshaft to the sidecar’s wheel for extra traction offroad, and a reverse gear for backing up. The front steering’s designed to adjust for extra stability to counteract the sidecar’s drag.

I believe that you meant Ural.

Ilya K
                                                            C&C always welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.