Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Fighting against gouache drying out

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    0125a3c

This is something i’ve become more aware of as I treat gouache less like watercolor and more like opaque paint, and that is how very quickly it dries out on the palette. I was working on a piece recently and it felt like the paint was drying like 15 minutes after it was laid on the palette, making it very hard to mix colors on the fly.

Granted, I have a tendency to lay down small dime size amounts of paint, but that is only because I don’t want to waste it… though ironically that is what ends up happening anyway since it doesn’t like to be woken up after a certain amount of time. (I even use glad press n seal wrap which barely helps.)

I use holbein and my palettes are generally porcelain plates. I’ve tried the sta wet handy palette, and it works to a degree, but I don’t really like how you’re painting on absorbable paper. It is also a fussy system.

Any tips on how I should change up my approach?

Perry

I keep my palette moist by spraying a fine mist
            of water on it about every 10 minutes or so.
            It’s a used lens cleaner spray bottle.
            Hope it helps you.

0125a3c

Yes I have one of those, I could probably use it more frequently but not sure it penetrates very deep into the globs of paint.

I notice that Gurney sometimes put his gouache on a slightly damp paper towel segment. I only use white gouache with watercolors but keep my white on a damp towel on using a mister occasionally. The downside is that it can get too damp. It is dry (not humid) here and that seldom happens. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

llawrence

Yep, paint nuts on a folded, damp shop towel, spray mister every few minutes on the mixing area. I do this with my watercolors now too.

0125a3c

I’ll give the paper towel method a try. Seems like you would want a cheaper kind of paper towel, like the kind you see in public restrooms, since they are less absorbable.

Tina Lewis

Yes, a damp paper towel or sta-wet system and/or mister is what I use now for gouache or casein. Though I don’t do much gouache, I find it very hard to paint with.

Misspris

Pretty much what everyone has suggested. I have the stay wet palette, and didn’t like the absorbant paper at first but am use to it now and it doesn’t bother me, I can blend just as good as a porcelain palette, once I started using gouache thicker, I realized I don’t need the smooth mixing surface of a porcelain palette, and I just use a water mister and spritz away. Another thing that helped was when I add the paint from the tube onto my mixing surface I try to make sure I have little lumps, instead of short little smears, which tend to dry out more, but I really don’t mind the consistency of reconstituted gouache, so it’s not a huge deal for me unless I need a thicker passage or a very opaque passage which usually isn’t until, the last layer or two anyway, for the way I paint, then I might just add a fresh glob of paint.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.