Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals A Palmful of Digital Excursions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Munin Raven

To complete my prehensile journal trilogy, this thread will focus on digital scribbles. :) A few recent plein air laptop sketches from Wales to get the ball rolling… or rather, meandering. :rolleyes:

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. " Elwood P. Dowd

Sketch-Blog

They are absolutely beautiful. What software are you using?

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Munin Raven

Doug: Thanks for the encouragement. These were done using Photoshop CS6 and mostly a single custom brush to block large to small on site, followed by a little texturing brushes here and there.

A second one from Fairbourne, Wales. Done on the same day as the last.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. " Elwood P. Dowd

Sketch-Blog

Fantastic!

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

vhere

absolutely beautiful :)

Very beautiful!

Maria - Made in Portugal
                "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

eyepaint

Cool cool cool! I like the roadway image.

-- EP Moderator for:
                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Munin Raven

Thanks for the very encouraging support. :thumbsup:

I tried this long, slim, vertical composition format for a scavenger hunt, over in that other forum, and I liked it very much. Infact, I liked it so much that it’s been occupying my mind while I do my regular day job. Sure, it works well for those triptych modern thingies, but playing with the composition elements is so very gorgeous to me. It seems to be all about thirds, or fifths. Anything more (to me, at least) offers too many problems? Might be wrong on that. Also, the colour palette is something I personally like messing with.

Sketch-Blog
                        eyepaint

The upright rock is well done!

-- EP Moderator for:

Munin Raven

Thanks, Eyepaint. :)

A view looking West towards Cadair Idris, Wales.

Some notes that may help others understand going forward with this thread: I started this almost a year ago to the day that I came back to finish it (yesterday). I’ve included the original blocking in file save, and initial plein-air rendering up. Another half hour or so at home finished it off. When sketching digital plein-air, this is something I do very often. I’ll allot a time (usually 30-40 minutes, although weather changes can effect the time – particularly in Wales), save the file, take a picture of the scene; and move on with the day.

I usually try to get a thumbnail down when I’m out and about, and capture the elements that made me stop initially. I’ll take a photo, and maybe jot a few impressions in my notebook. Later, at home, I might work one or two thumbnails up a little, but always like to stay on the “sketch” side of things. When I cannot spare the time to get out and about, or the weather is particularly horrible, I can always sift through my thumbnail folder and find something I would like to revisit. I sometimes make audio field recording on site and put them on loop in the background while I scribble. Great fun. :)

Sketch-Blog
                                eyepaint

So well done :) Congratulations on finishing it – looks great :)

-- EP Moderator for:

vhere

great and a fantastic capture of the colour, texture, land forms and mood of that area

Munin Raven

Much appreciated, guys. :thumbsup:

Some quick Japanese Grey Bark Elm seedling sketches…

Sketch-Blog
                                            Munin Raven

A few days growth…

Sketch-Blog
                                                otherworlder

I really love them! The muted color palette is really cool. What’s your plein air laptop setup like, is the screen bright enough for outside?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.