Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time March 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Well, supposedly spring is almost here. Looking at 2+ feet of snow, I’m not so sure. :wink2: Don’t remember what the groundhog predicted, but I can tell you we’ve got a bit more winter to deal with where I live.

Now that the back to back to back snowstorms have moved on, our temperatures are plummeting to frigid. Not quite as bad as Lena has them, but certainly colder than they have been.

I’m still working on replacing critters. Started out with needing to make 17. I’ve finished 8 and am working on 9. That will take me over the half way mark. :)

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Yes we have an extreme cold warning too. It is currently -24c with a windchill of -34c. But that wind is absolutely incredibly cold for some reason. Probably because yesterday was -5c

I went grocery shopping today and forgot to wear my mask and was jogging to keep up with my sister and now my chest hurts when I breathe.

I have finished another shawl and I will get pictures as soon as I figure out how to use the new tablet a bit better. My old one kept shutting down and going really sloooooowwwww. But is is almost 5 years old.

Jen – thanks for the compliments. I was given 2 packages of 5 balls of mohair/silk of 5 different colours and that is how it turned out. Now I have to find a victim to give it too who will appreciate its historical look. The family doesn’t want anything that is itchy.

Doll Art by Lena

Happy March! Heavy rain here in San Francisco. Just saw in the news that a band of snow / storms is coast to coast. Amazing.

Studio Art Quilt Associates[/URL] (SAQA) will have its first all 3D show. I have entered 3 pieces, so will see if I get it. Working 3D or freestanding has been growing in the art quilt world. The exhibit will also include Wearable Art. I am excited that the organization is embracing this form of the art quilt.

As usual I am spinning away. Working on a Cotswold fleece at the moment. It is a classic English longwool. I am making a 2 ply lace weight for a shawl to add to my Dickens era outfit. I’ve been educating myself on Shetland Lace as a result. I should probably get a thread going on it. :lol: I’ve never been a big lace wearer or knitter. Not that I don’t appreciate it – I do. Knitting lace takes a lot of attention, in my limited experience!

Keep you posted!

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

It depends on the lace you pick. Many of the lace I do is repetitive, once you have the pattern established it just goes along without much thought. But use a life line! (a string of dental floss you run through the stitches every few rows. The cable needles I have, have a hole in them so that it goes through all the stitches automatically) and lots of markers.

Just avoid anything that has the name Niebelung in it – trust me on that!. Skip the book called Vintage Lace.

If you are on Ravelry, join the historical knitting group.
                Any version of “old Shale/ shell” is fairly rhythmic and period.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, hope you get the tablet sorted soon. Looking forward to seeing your new shawl. Stay warm. You are definitely colder where you are than I am here.

Jen, great to hear from you. Yes you need to make a thread on Shetland lace. That would be really interesting. Crossing my fingers that you’ll get into the 3D show with your art pieces.

I’m still working on re-making critters. I have passed the half way point on the list. But there are still more to go. I am tempted to shorted the list and just not make the black critters. If someone really wants a black critter they can ask. I’ll make it. It’s just so difficult to see black.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I got the tablet all figured out (well sort off)

This shawl design was for several colours so it works better. When it is dry I will get a nicer shot.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, brilliant blocking solution. How do you keep the dog off of it? Lovely design. Hard to tell the colors with the foam colors showing through. Looking forward to the next picture.

Still working on critters. :rolleyes: I’m getting there. It just takes some time to sew up this many. They are getting back into the shop. But, it will be a sigh of relief when I can be done for the time being and can put my attention elsewhere.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

The dog doesn’t seem to like the foam mats.
                                When I had the other dog and the cat I had to close the room when I did it because they liked to roll on them and pull the pins out.

Here it is on the dummy. You can see the colours better. This tablet has a really good camera on it. Black, sage green, pale grey, white, brick red, blue and burgundy red.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, the colors look great. Awesome you got a good camera on your tablet. Aren’t modern digital cameras amazing. I bought one of the first digital cameras back in the day. It cost a mint and was a monster. Now you can get a better camera than I had as part and parcel to your phone or tablet.

Still working on sewing critters. Can only get so much done in a day in order to keep my hands from hurting. It’s the whole slow and steady attitude I have to keep in mind. Eventually I’ll get caught up.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Take care of your hands, Debbie.

I had my last water colour class on Monday. It was an interesting class. The teacher totally messed up his wet on wet wash, tried to fix it later and made things worse but used it as a teaching moment, well several teaching moments. It was satisfying to my soul to see him mess up. All those books I have I find intimidating because they are all so perfect in their examples. If I was writing a book on how to do something I would show the screw ups first. I have the same issue with museums – they are uplifting and then I crash down feeling I could never do anything like that so why bother.

One of the things I find interesting is how even though we are all doing the same picture, following his instructions, you can tell whos picture it is by the style of the students. Two of them are very representational while I am much more slap dash and impressionistic.

Right now I am knitting slippers for a friend who just moved into a basement apartment.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I know what you mean about looking at art in museums or galleries and feeling like you’ll never be that good. It’s a bit intimidating. But, we have to remember, practice gets you there. I can do that with sewing or embroidery. Mess up and try again. But, when it comes to drawing I feel like it has to be perfect. Glad you had a good class.

Of course I’m still sewing critters. I am down to 4 more to make having decided once more to not re-make the black ones. There are 2 black critters, a dragon and a Pegasus. It’s not that I won’t make them, but working at night I’m already feeling like I’m straining my eyes. (It could all be in my head since I have task lights I use with daylight bulbs in them.) So, I’ll make them later in the summer when daylight lasts longer. Or if someone requests them.

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Black is a bitch to work with even with good lights, new glasses and all that. I had problems even with the dark blue on the last project, especially when doing the black edging on it. The last band I did in burgundy was supposed to be black but I changed it for that reason.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I hear you on the dark blue being like black as far as difficulty. Thanks for the agreement. Makes me feel better about my decision. Problem is black is a popular color and it does sell.

And the count down continues. Finished one yesterday. Now there are 3 critters to make. I am looking forward to them being done so I can work on something else.

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

We had a major amount of snow Friday/Saturday and now it is above freezing and the whole place is a big mess.

I made a pair of slippers for a friend who has moved into a basement apartment.
                                                        I have a rash on my left foot and the doctor says it is a heat rash from wearing boots and warm socks. “Go barefoot ” she says – not likely to happen for a few months. Then she said cotton socks so I am knitting my self cotton socks, in red and gold. Turkish style.

My class is finished and I am planning what to take to Yellowknife for 3 more weeks of winter. I might bring paper and paints.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, spring thaw type weather is usually messy. Around here they call it the season of mud. :lol: Hope the doctor is correct that the rash is just a heat rash. Cotton socks should help. Paper and paints is a great idea.

I predicted that as I was finishing the large list of critters to re-make I’d sell another one this weekend. Yup! Sold a pocket dragon to Switzerland. :lol: :lol: :lol: I am so tired of the hand sewing at this point. I’ve been working for a month to get all of them done. I told DH I was taking a break. I don’t want to sew anything for a few days. There are only 2 more critters to make if one doesn’t count the black ones. A dragon that I’m waiting for felt to be able to make and the pocket dragon that just sold. They can wait a few days.

Debby
                                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.