Home Forums Explore Media Clay Xmas gift that i don’t know what to do with – please help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    beadysam

Ok so I’ve always fancied having a play with clay. My darling son knew this and on Xmas day i was presented with 10kg Gede oven dry clay (i have a kiln for glass), a beautifully smooth cake decorating turntable and a set of tools. I am thrilled at such a thoughtful pressy, but have no idea what to do it where to start – any ideas? Any help is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sam x

beadysam

241 views and not a comment? Is everyone shy lol! To be honest I was thinking more of making beads and jewellery components as I already work with hot glass making lampwork beads, but the thought of that lovely smooth clay turning and slipping through my fingers is pretty irrisistable. I have looked for local courses but there doesn’t seem to be anything local ( i am in North Wales) and the local collage sold off both the glass and ceramics depts. to invest in a printmaking centre about ten years ago. I’m not expecting miracles or anything reliable – just enjoyment. I had a brain tumour removed in November and I know how precious each fragment of joy now is – but also realistically i have no income at the moment so can’t afford to waste anything either. Any comments more than welcome.

This is a pretty quiet forum. Most of the views are from search engines and such, I completely ignore those.

That’s a heck of an operation to have, it’s inspiring to see you so positive!

I just got some clay too, it’s supposed to be an air dry clay. I haven’t used clay in a long time so i thought I would start off with some basic shapes and see what forms. I mostly just want to play with it.

Beads sound like a good idea. I was thinking I might try some little animals too.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

beadysam

Hi Virginia, thanks for your post. I think you’re right about the views, no-one seems to do forums anymore, everything has moved to Facebook unfortunately. Facebook is just not my thing. I love technology but hate what social media has done to society, although the “millenials” seem to be turning the tide somewhat.
                Anyway, back to clay. This book looks good

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0KWpIKC-9C0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=ceramic+beads&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuz6_bydbfAhWEr3EKHeb9C64Q6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=ceramic%20beads&f=false

I’ve got a kiln for my glass so firing shouldn’t be a problem. The biggest issue (as with all the fun hobbies!) will be the cost of the ‘extras’. Glazes and cutters and tools etc etc etc

The brain tumour wasn’t that bad. My eyesight started going weird in Sept – blurred peripheral vision, and double vision. Saw optician last weekend in september, sent me sane day to ER, two days later in the clinic. Two weeks later i had had 2 MRIs, one with contrast one not, and back in clinic where I was told I had a benign tumour that would have to be removed through my nose. I was sent to a Centre of Excellence ( i was sooo lucky to have a really good Neuro Centre nearby) for a consutation. Told to loose some weight and they would remove it in January. Over the next 7 days my eyesight decreased in both eyes but I became completely blind in my left eye. No shapes, no light/ dark, nothing at all. With my other eye i couldn’t make people out on the tv or read any characters smaller than an inch. I was rushed straight in on the evening of 22nd Nov and the tumour removed. I had a few complications – my csf (brain juice!) started to leak etc – but I was only in 8 days. A lot of health issues that had been diagnosed as other things have been improved by removal so I am very happy. When I woke from surgery my vision was back and it’s still improving now, so I have been incredibly lucky. I can’t smell at all or taste properly yet, and my nose is still congested and will be for a while – but what a small price to pay for eyesight and life eh?

Right I’m off to read your blog.
                Take care x

browndl

Incredible story. I am glad you are recovering.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
                    My Blog

That’s amazing! That must have been scary as all get out at first. Glad it worked out.

Be careful with the blog, it’s a bit silly at times. :D

That looks like a good book, thanks for that!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                    Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

maryinasia

wow! so glad you are starting to feel better

sorry, I have no clay expertise.

LynneDe

I have no experience with your type of clay, but it does sound like fun. You said it’s oven dried, does that mean it has to cure in an oven? Polymer clays are like that…and while we often ‘don’t want to waste’ our precious gifts, just leaving it without doing anything at all will let it go bad anyway, so experiment, enjoy it. Who knows? If you son gave you that for a present, maybe, just maybe, he’ll get you more clay if you use what he gave you. (it’s pretty simple to renew a supply of clay as another pressy, right?) So enjoy it, experiment with it, see what the features are that you like and how you can maximize them and what the features are you don’t care for with this clay, and how to minimize those…Enjoy it, have fun…Blessings to you!

As I will never take this exact path again may I not leave a kind word unspoken or a kind deed undone. May my life count for good, may the world be better for my having been in it when the final reckoning is accomplished. Blessings, LynneDe

CinderellaG

Hi Beadysam, I just came across your post. I am so very glad your tumor was operable and benign! Also very happy to hear that you regained your sight. I think being blind would be just one of the worst things that could happen to anyone, but to an artist it would be really horrid..

As for clay, I sculpt in polymer, which is an oven dried clay , household oven, NOT kiln..It would burn up in a kiln very quickly. What to do with it? Put it in your hands, condition it and just make some shapes. Get used to the feel and in a while something will just start emerging from the lump in your hand. At least for me it always does! Enjoy..oh, if it is polymer it will not go Bad ..just keep it covered when not sculpting from dust

Cindy G.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.