WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Garden of Memories of WC Members
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2001, 02:12 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
The fire is out.

I can't exactly tell you what it all means to me, but I have been so aware of how long they have burned and knowing that they have officially turned off the hoses on WTC gives me a sense of ... maybe passage?
Like another chapter is closing?
Like a new reality or maybe the first starts of peace?
When I left New York, I felt like I was leaving something I was supposed to be a part of. Now that it is done, I feel something very strong. I am not sure how to say it, but maybe it is ok for me to be here?
Quite a day.
dj*
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2001, 02:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

i know how you feel. while out christmas shopping tonight i came upon a picture book from september 11th. it was total phantasmagoria %200. the images were eerily beautiful, some really beautiful photography...but then i thought about what they were of and my heart sunk.

its a weird time, to be sure.

pax to all...lori
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2001, 05:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portugal

Hails from Portugal
One little step toward the rebuilding of that area?

For me (and I live in Portugal far away...) September 11th marks the end of a time and the beginning of a new one. On Sept 11, a part of me has died with the victims and will never recover. I feel utter sadness and despair each time I think of this day. There is a pit of darkness living with me now. I keep hearing the cries of the souls that left that day....they are never going to shut up. I haven't been able yet to transfer to painting this pit of darkness, I don't know if I can face it.

Anne-Claire
-m-m--------

Studio224
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2001, 05:23 AM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
I understand what you are talking about dj. Since 9-11 things have been like living in a slow moving nightmare for me. In a strange way the continuation of the fire gave me a sense of the vitality all those people represent. I hope that they are able to rest in peace, and that those they left behind are able to find a way to move a head. Though the fire is out in reality I hope that it still burns within all of us as a reminder of just how short and precious life is.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2001, 08:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Indiana

Hails from United States
The world seem to change on that day. In more ways than one for me and the people around me. I was with my Daughter in court as she was fighting to keep custody of her son. After almost a year of non support and having nothing to do with the child. the father decied that he want his son.

I know this seems so small and unimportant next to what had already happen that day. The People in that court room that day where in a sate of disbelief and shock some had tears in their eyes. from What was being showen over and over on the news. Except for one. and to this day he still does not understand how WTC touches even his life. I seen in two ways that day how ugle people can be and how hurtful.

For the people of NY I pray that they find peace,and they make it through this Hoilday season. It can be the hardest time to get through for some.

As for my Daughter, We have been told to expect troulbe on Chirstmas day. so I guess we will have no peace on that day.

I have a friend who works for the Goverment as a Lawyer. who is in the pentagon everyday. It was sevearl hours before I heard form him, to know that he was ok and had not been there that day. I was really starting to get worryed when I heard from him. I know how some of those people must have felt that day, and how they where counting there blessing to still have their loved ones. but he knew some of the people who had lost their lives there that day.

Sorry didn't mean to ramble on so long.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2001, 09:51 AM
Cafe Alumnus
USA, GA

Hails from United States
I know. I can't believe that they have finally put the fires out too. It's like it is just one more step to realizing that all those people caught in the buildings are gone forever, except in our hearts.

My mother has had a real hard time with all this and everytime that we talk she has to vent her feelings about WTC. She crys, I understand. She fears for our nation, and rightly so.

I'll move this thread over to the 9-11 memorial forum so that it will not get lost as the cafe chatter continues.

Please do let your feelings out. Nothing will fix the pain, but having someone to talk with makes things a bit better.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2001, 09:11 AM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
I heard a report on NPR (National Public Radio) a few nights ago.
It was about the difficulty the construction workers are having with the task that lies ahead.
The trama they still have to face.
How they never imagined they would go to work and have to fight back tears.

One gentleman said that the hardest thing for him was
his son asking if they had recovered any bodies that day.

The reality of that question from his young son has really hit me.

We have all been encouraged to go on about our lives..... I have tried......guess that is all I can do right now.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2001, 12:33 PM
NY, NY

I could read this thread all day. It is so heartwarming. You all GET it. More typically folks out of the city and the view of the area, even uptown NYC, don't get it and you can tell from their conversation.

I have a delicious Christmas vacation planned starting tomorrow where it is nice and sunny and not 33 degrees fahrenheit with biting wind but I leave the city kicking and screaming.

I've been volunteering at Ground Zero in The Big White Tent and have talked/listened to those engineers and construction workers. One in particular had a big impact...for him it is a mission...his anticipated goal is to get to the bottom of those stairs. He said he wanted to find as many remains as he could before Christmas.

New York City is kicking ass to make this a time of inspiration. Last night I watched through tears of joy the TV show depicting Erin Brockeridge (sp) enabling the rebuilding of an old outdoor amphitheater and soccer field in 6 days for a Christmas party for kids. The same construction workers at WTC worked on it and one of them said that this was the first sign of rebuilding. Very healing.

There are wreaths and Christmas trees at the walls of the boundaries of Ground Zero as well as signs and greetings from all over the world. The back of the WinterGarden (glass structure) facing the river has 3 wreaths on the windows...I just found pictures I took of that space inside during Christmas last year. Now 3 wreaths seemed a greater treat than anticipated.

To make a short story long!!! the empathic greetings from folks like you mean a lot and keep us company in this strange time. All I can say is we must have a Merry Christmas if we can so Merry Christmas everyone.