Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Tidewater Complete?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bardo

Maybe a bit of glazing to do. Your input welcome. 12×16 oil on canvas.

Nice work. Can’t help thinking there are some distant trees missing in the gap to the left of the building.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Ohiohawk97

I really like how you finished the fg reeds. Beautiful work!

Wes

DreyDay

The painting itself is very well done. However, I’m trying to figure out what kind of weather is going on here? Is it overcast, partly cloudy, or sunny? I see that the sky is blue and all, but the way the contrast is in this painting, it doesn’t strike me immediately as being sunny. I have to think about it for a moment, but if the contrast were more bold, with darker shadows and brighter lights, then I would have no doubt about the weather. If that was your intention then I would make some of the light colors more bright and vivid, like the grass in the foreground and the light parts of the trees especially.

Bardo

DreyDay, it was a winter day with high clouds as some weak sun. That is what appealed to me.

Cliff sayer

really like it

Reddyman

Hey Freeman… this turned out great and as previously noted…love the palette.
                            Great job.
                            John

Anonymous

I like a more robust color pallet “brighter” but, I think this pallet works well with this subject matter. Well done, has a bit of a Van Gogh feel.

Bardo

Hans,
                                    That was the challenge of this composition. The light was diffuse and the value range tight.

Lovely control of palette to capture the mood. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dorrart

I like the paint texture. That usually stands out to me in your works. True of this one. Colors work with the scene.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Dcam
                                            Bardo

@Cliff, thank you so much for looking!
                                                @John, the tight value range and rich but limited colors was the attraction for me! Thanks.
                                                @Gary, I am trying to learn to bring my colors a bit closer to reality and keep relative values accurate. Thanks for looking.
                                                @David, I feel like my paintings are messy. I strive to keep the strokes free but struggle to make them accurate. Only time and lots of paintings can help! Thanks for looking.
                                                @Derek, thanks so much. I love the warm colors of the marsh grass in winter. So hard to accurately capture. There is a subtle but distinct range of colors that I clumsily attempted to capture here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.