WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Re: mailbox annealer

my mailbox annealer is still working on the same elements after all these years!!!!
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM

I'm just beginning in the art of glass and this annealer will save me alot of money that i can put towards other necessary tools. Thank you Mark. I do have a couple of questions for you.

1) Do you think this would heat up as efficiently if the element is mounted to the top of the box.
2) If so, is the steel + frax enough insulation to keep the outside of the box at a somewhat safe heat lvl?
3)I notice you mentioned making sure the element is grounded and maybe i missed it but how exactly did you ground yours?
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

putting the element on top will not make any difference. you can add more insulation but the inside will get smaller. the outer temperature is not that high. ground the frame of the heater....read the tutorial again!!!
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Hey Mark, just joined WC because of your tutorial on the mailbox annealer. Thanks
  #140   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
well this is just typical of WC. again i go to a lot of effort to do what i said i would do. i said i would post details on how to make your own kiln on line so that there was no reason not to have a kiln. and my efforts are, for the most part, totally ignored. what is it, is it because i speak my mind, is it because i don't always say the politically correct thing. is it because i don't comment on all of your beads. to me a bead is a bead is a small tiny bit of glass.

well i have tried to help, and i have done what i said i would do. i have tried to make WC a safer place. i have tried to post good, interesting articles and tutorials. but now i have less time. my new job is forceing me to make decisions where i should spend my time.

some of you may have noticed that i have been spending less time here at WC and only rarely post some of my art. of course, for the most part, that to is ignored. i mean you can get 10x more posts on a thread where people discover that they can add dots to beads. WOW!!! i don't have the time to waste here any more. i'll chime in if i see something safety related, but this is my last tutorial. if people want more details on the mailbox annealer, you will have to talk to me at yahoo glassblowing_topics.

Mark i just found this place today been up all night searching and searching for a bit of guidance for a annealing kiln i could scrounge together some one posted a link to this place you are the how and why im here ive just had a chance to skim over this and YOUR stove pipe annealer witch i will probably build first i am a compleat newbie just these two tutorials will help me immenslie i look forward to seeing your outher posts/tutorials my brotha you are the MAN!!! thank you!
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

there is a temperature controller tutorial that you might want to look at as well.
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM

yes i saw that and i will be soon along with your mini furness/glory hole

Last edited by flmkpr : 10-16-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: add
  #143   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 AM

oops messed that up let me ask you have you ever made your own torch?
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 AM

Mark, I used to be quite the avid glassblower but fell out for quite a few years and am now starting over from scratch. After many hours and days of researching and comparing kilns and prices, I happened across your tutorials. What an amazing gift you have given the world (at least to those tenacious enough to sift through the internet in order to discover this gem). I still have a few pricey things I'll have to purchase (a good torch and tools) but this will save me so much money in my initial start-up. Genius idea, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to everyone here. I've noticed you've had a few issues on this site with feeling under-appreciated and unrecognized - I wanted to let you know that is certainly NOT the case! I'm sure many have failed to mention it, so speaking for myself as well as for everyone else, we are extremely grateful for the knowledge you have passed on with your tutorials. It is greatly appreciated! Keep up the good work.
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by olboiblue
Mark, I used to be quite the avid glassblower but fell out for quite a few years and am now starting over from scratch. After many hours and days of researching and comparing kilns and prices, I happened across your tutorials. What an amazing gift you have given the world (at least to those tenacious enough to sift through the internet in order to discover this gem). I still have a few pricey things I'll have to purchase (a good torch and tools) but this will save me so much money in my initial start-up. Genius idea, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to everyone here. I've noticed you've had a few issues on this site with feeling under-appreciated and unrecognized - I wanted to let you know that is certainly NOT the case! I'm sure many have failed to mention it, so speaking for myself as well as for everyone else, we are extremely grateful for the knowledge you have passed on with your tutorials. It is greatly appreciated! Keep up the good work.

thanks....make sure you check out the temperature controller tutorial, and the stovepipe annealer tutorial here at WC as well....i see you just joined glassblowing_topics....check the files are for some zipped up photo files that show the building of the mailbox annealer and also a small gloryhole.
  #146   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 AM

I bought a mini-annealer from Devarti Glass that is WONDERFUL! It was only $79 bucks!
  #147   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM
san angelo texas

Hails from United States

got here too late <sigh> I wonder if I can cannabalize an old kiln I was given. got bricks, unfortunately no regulator, it used cones. I need an annealer like yesterday.