WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Waldron Indiana

Hails from United States
Angry Re: How to make your own frit and save money!!!

any metal in the glass should be separated before you use the glass.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Re: How to make your own frit and save money!!!

i said that stainless steel was best. i also said that in all the years that i have been using my chrusher, i have never had any metal flakes in my frit. that is the truth. most everyone doing lampworking has a ventlation system with make up air that would ventilate the extremely small amount of metal fumes, so that it would not be an issue. no inhailed metal vapors are good, that is why god invented the ventilation hood.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast
Spring Hill,TN

Hails from United States

Does anyone know the co of Fenton glass? I got some at the rock shops near Hot Springs village. I also find cullet at the rock shops in the mountains and don't know what company it comes from. I'm think it may be fenton also. Onalee

My eBay Auctions
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
i said that stainless steel was best. i also said that in all the years that i have been using my chrusher, i have never had any metal flakes in my frit. that is the truth. most everyone doing lampworking has a ventlation system with make up air that would ventilate the extremely small amount of metal fumes, so that it would not be an issue. no inhailed metal vapors are good, that is why god invented the ventilation hood.

We make frit daily and I can assure you that there is considerable amounts of metal in the frit. I professionally disagree with using stainless and instead suggest you should use ONLY ferrous metal that can be removed with a magnet.

A small magnet is included with the Frit Sifter/Sorters we sell and our customers have told us they use it constantly to remove small bits of metal from the frit they make.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

there are both magnetic and nonmagnetic stainless steel alloys

http://www.ssina.com/overview/alloy.html
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
there are both magnetic and nonmagnetic stainless steel alloys

http://www.ssina.com/overview/alloy.html

1. Common iron is considerably cheaper and more readily available than stainless.
2. Common iron is considerably easier to weld then stainless.
3. There is no moisture involved in making frit, so there is zero advantage to using stainless.

As there is no advantage to using stainless, why should someone wanting to make their own frit maker go to the great lengths to find, and expense to pay for, a material they don't need; when just using inexpensive, widely available, and easy to work with common iron is so simple and straightforward?
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

dennis, you just love to argue. did you even read this thread? i advised people to use cheap iron pipe components. go back and read the thread at the beginning!!!!!!!
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady
3. There is no moisture involved in making frit, so there is zero advantage to using stainless.

Some people prefer to use wet glass to minimize the dust hazard.
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
dennis, you just love to argue. did you even read this thread? i advised people to use cheap iron pipe components. go back and read the thread at the beginning!!!!!!!

No, I love to ensure people are supplied with accurate information. If you advise people to use cheap iron, why did you advise this?

Quote:
I said that stainless steel was best.

You also advised them that making frit wouldn't leave residual bits of metal in the frit. That has not been my experience (and I have considerable experience making frit) nor has it been the experience of anybody I've ever communicated with that makes frit).

There's a difference (and it's an important difference) between arguing and providing alternative information. My suggestion was that stainless steel should not be used - for the reasons I stated.

We made our first frit maker with pipe fittings. A few experiments confirmed that a flat head produced more reliable size frit then a rounded end pipe cap. We also quickly discovered that a square box container produced a better mix then a round pipe (which produced a much higher percentage of fines and powder). Repeated experiments confirmed that although using a pipe fitting threaded onto the end of a piece of pipe can be used to make frit, a more reliable mix of sizes is produced with a flat plate in a square container. We know this because we sift and sort all the frit we make.

This isn't argument. It's facts based on extensive experimentation.
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

i advised them of a way to make a simple, cheap frit crusher. latter on in the tread, a person joined in on the tread who was trying to sell their frit crusher and started behaving in a very inappropriate manner. the moderators deleted 5 of their 6 posts so my advise about stainless was WRT their posts and seems a bit out of context now. most frit crushers that i see for sale are made of stainless steel.

here is what i said the 2 times in this thread that metal flakes came up.

the 1st time

some metal may have flaked off the first few times i used it, but i don't get any now

the 2nd time

in all the years that i have been using my chrusher, i have never had any metal flakes in my frit.

that is my experience.

Last edited by Mark Wilson : 01-15-2008 at 02:02 PM.
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroness
Some people prefer to use wet glass to minimize the dust hazard.

I think many more have specific use for the fine/powder material and have found other ways to control the dust. The percentage of dust produced can to a great degree be controlled by how you make the frit. Putting a cloth sleeve over your frit maker works perfectly to keep all the dust inside. I'll be shortly posting instructions and photos on Glass Campus on how to do this (with any design frit maker).
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in MN
Another word of caution about the coffee mills (the ones with whirring blades): Keep an eye on those blades. One day I was happily whacking heated and chilled rod ends into frit and I noticed dark speckles in my frit. The blades were disintegrating! Oops!

Judy in MN
Judy, I had that problem too, but I think you were mistaken about where the real contamination was coming from. Coffee grinders are usually plastic containers with blades inside. Blenders usually have a rubber gasket at the bottom. If you want to try again I'd suggest this, which I have used to make many pounds of clear an d other color frits.
1. Buy a cheap blender with a glass container - I'd suggest a cheap Oster, maybe $30.
2. Remove the rubber gasket from the bottom and instead put a thick bead of Glass Tack(glue) where the gasket was and in the threads. Screw on and commit yourself to vacumming out(Hepa vac, always) and wiping by hand with moist paper towel.
3. Use clear silicone rubber to glue on and seal the small opening cup most blenders have in the middle of the lid.
What you will find is that it takes several batches of frit making to even take the sharp edge off the blades and the glass container will have minimal frosting from the frit. So only microscopic contamination if any.
The plastic lid?- glass rarely or barely hits it, so it doesn't add any contamination either. I find the lowest speed works better than the higher - the higher just seems to keep the frit swirling around like stuff in a tornado.

For anyone making frit, I'd suggest a good to decent HEPA filter that is dedicated for the frit making area and that you uncap the grinder(ditto for frit pounders and pouring them out) directly in front of it. I use a "WIX" brand one - the filters are cheap enough I change them every 2 weeks or less.

For anyone using massive amounts of frit (me), I would suggest you consider saving your pennies and buying direct from Bullseye if you use COE 90. Once you get to $800 IFIRC, the discount goes to 50%. So a pound of most frits is roughly $10.50/lb. And no powder on your fine and larger frit, which leads to cloudiness in many compositions. And fewer concerns of silicosis.
And depending on types of work you are doing, you might not generate nearly enough clear glass scrap to meet your frit needs. I certainly don't.
Also for COE 90 folks, UROBOROS frit in 4 lb containers can be had for ab out $10-11/lb in their 4 lb. containers. I've had zero compatibility issues with Bullseye glass over hundreds of compositions.

I'd fully agree with the folks that suggest you buy or build a piston type frit crusher with a handle that can take getting hit with a hammer(I use a 5 lb. mini-sledgehammer) - placed on a solid surface(concrete block?) it only takes 2-3 wacks. More wacks don't get you anywhere, as the glass has then packed together and is really quite strong. Pumping the piston up and down by hand is highly inefficient and is pumping out plumes of glass dust on every stroke like a bike pump. Silicosis sounds like it really sucks - wear a respirator no matter how you do it.

If using a blender you can stack pieces up to 2" square and set them on top of the blades, then hit the button - the pieces fly up and never jam up the blades. IF you just dump them in the blender can't start against a chunk of glass. Blenders are really not that strong.

Last edited by Edpal247 : 03-09-2018 at 10:23 AM.