Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Daily, Monday, August 13, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Don

Good morning all. I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I finally got a chance to try out my Lightning Bug that I won as a door prize at the last GNPA Photo Expo several months ago. Still learning the settings, but it was fun to try it last evening as I saw some lightning in the sky some distance away. This was the best of the lot.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
        Immortalized forever
        With silver and light"

Anonymous

Hi Mark.

That’s a nice shot. So is the Lightning Bug some sort of hardware that helps capture shots of lightning?

I was going through old photos (some as far back as 2004) to regain some hard drive space, and (of course) got sidetracked; this time trying to combine two differently exposed images into one with higher dynamic range. Didn’t work out great; this is the best I could do…

OGIM.

Rich

Pretty cool Don! That is quite a piece of equipment! Have fun with it!

I think it looks great Dave, nice dark BG with a little detail makes the flowers pop!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Greenhill

Don, that’s one top lightning shot, awesomely dramatic.

The one only other lightning shot I took was in Tasmania at a beach at low tide. On that occasion
                    I had time to employ a tripod and set the camera to bursts of 10 frames each until I knew that I had captured
                    a few flashes of which this was the best. Please note the distant figure, which is the fearless Sandra flirting with fate!

Archives, 2003

MY FLICKR
                    OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
                    The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Greenhill

Dave, I would say the combination worked well. :thumbsup:

MY FLICKR

Anonymous

My apologies, Don, for misattributing your lightning photo to Mark. DOH! :o

And Mark, you came through with a fine lightning photo after all.

Thanks for your reactions to my floral.

Rich

[B]Don[/B]

Please note the distant figure, which is the fearless Sandra flirting with fate!

She is one lucky woman! Don’t tempt it again please!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                                Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                                Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Please tell me more about this lightning bug, Don? {edit, I have googled it but I’d still love to hear more from your use of it.}

Water is one of the best places to be standing when lightning is about. I’m not at all sure why but as seen in the shot, the lightning never seems to reach the water.

Greenhill

She is one lucky woman! Don’t tempt it again please!

Sandra has survived two near death experiences. Angels are immune to lightning. :angel:

MY FLICKR

Please tell me more about this lightning bug, Don? {edit, I have googled it but I’d still love to hear more from your use of it.}

Water is one of the best places to be standing when lightning is about. I’m not at all sure why but as seen in the shot, the lightning never seems to reach the water.

I’ll retract the never from the above statement if others who read it seem to believe that I meant that lightning never strikes water. In fact, lightning is more likely to strike anyone standing proud of the water, being the highest point.

Luck appears to be the only thing that gets one back inside after standing out in a lightning storm.

dewarp

Three good images there folks. Well done.

That’s a new one for me Don – never heard of the “Lightning Bug” before. Interesting. It’s a bit expensive though. I don’t believe I have one decent lightning shot and where we live these day lightning is rare. So I won’t be getting one.

regards – Peter

Don

If you googled it then you know basically how it works. Very simple to operate, so far. It sits in the hot shoe of my camera with a cable attaching it to the camera. The cable plugs into the same socket that a remote control uses, so when the device detects the infrared that happens just before the “flash”, it opens the shutter. The cable is geared to the camera you use. When I used it the other night, I set the camera on a tripod, attached the Lightning Bug, and waited for the lightning to happen. There are 3 control buttons on top, one for power, and two for adjusting sensitivity up or down. I did determine (after the fact) that I probably did not have the sensitivity set high enough but I will not make that mistake again. Overall it will be a fun toy to play with when the opportunity presents itself, which is not very often. I’ve had it for several months now and this is the first time I have really been able to try it out.

It’s a bit expensive though. I don’t believe I have one decent lightning shot and where we live these day lightning is rare. So I won’t be getting one. regards – Peter

Yes, it is a bit expensive and I probably would never have bought one either. I had not heard of it before I won it as a door prize at a photo EXPO. But I’m glad I did. :)

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                                            Immortalized forever
                                            With silver and light"

If you googled it then you know basically how it works. Very simple to operate, so far. It sits in the hot shoe of my camera with a cable attaching it to the camera. The cable plugs into the same socket that a remote control uses, so when the device detects the infrared that happens just before the “flash”, it opens the shutter. The cable is geared to the camera you use. When I used it the other night, I set the camera on a tripod, attached the Lightning Bug, and waited for the lightning to happen. There are 3 control buttons on top, one for power, and two for adjusting sensitivity up or down. I did determine (after the fact) that I probably did not have the sensitivity set high enough but I will not make that mistake again. Overall it will be a fun toy to play with when the opportunity presents itself, which is not very often. I’ve had it for several months now and this is the first time I have really been able to try it out.

Yes, it is a bit expensive and I probably would never have bought one either. I had not heard of it before I won it as a door prize at a photo EXPO. But I’m glad I did. :)

Well they did tell us how it works. Doesn’t sound difficult to make.

Greenhill

It would be interesting to calculate the odds of being struck by lightning or being bitten by a snake. I’m not saying that it can’t or doesn’t happen once in every blue moon, but considering the number of people who at any given time will be exposed to lightning, or go bush walking in summer, it is obvious that the risk is quite minimal. I know there’s a great deal of hysteria about being hit by lightning, or being bitten by a snake. As Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “Only thing we have to fear is fear itself”. How true.

MY FLICKR

It would be interesting to calculate the odds of being struck by lightning whilst standing out in a thunder storm. I’m not saying that it can’t or doesn’t happen once in every blue moon, but considering the number of people who at any given time will be exposed to lightning, and the number of people who go bush walking in summer, it is obvious that the risk is quite minimal. I know there’s a great deal of hysteria about being hit by lightning, or being bitten by a snake. As Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “Only thing we have to fear is fear itself”. How true.

All fair points. I’ve never suffered from any phobia at all other than an inherent fear of other people’s fears. Though I admit that there isn’t room for fear when caught within the zone of influence of a lightning strike. Having been there and done that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.