Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bartc

12″x9″ Ceracolor (cold wax paint) on Canson Watercolor Board, en plein air at China Cove in the famous Point Lobos State Reserve in Carmel, CA.

Helen

I love it. I’m guessing the foreground is texturized.

"I get up, I walk, I fall down, meanwhile I keep on dancing." Hillel

Cyndi L

Cold wax paint! That’s gorgeous :heart:

Bartc

I love it. I’m guessing the foreground is texturized.

Not texturized at all. I tend to paint rather thinly, so you can see some of the paper’s texture coming through (my camera emphasizes this for some reason.)

Bartc

Cold wax paint! That’s gorgeous :heart:

Yes, cold water-soluble wax paint called “Ceracolors” by Natural Pigments. (There is another brand more in Europe that I haven’t tried called “Cuni”, but same idea.)

Natural Pigments does incredible work researching and replicating ancient methods and materials. Apparently, a lot of wax painting was done this way in Roman era formulated as a water soluble paint, not the heat requiring encaustics most people play with today.

This lovely material is richly saturated, buttery, truly water soluble, can be reopened like water paint until it is “fixed” with heat (hair dryer). You need no special tools at all. It likes a more absorbent surface, like watercolor. But in effect you can imitate just about any other medium’s looks: watercolor, acrylics, oils, and even sometimes looks like pastels! Amazing stuff.

I keep trying to encourage more people to try this lovely and versatile medium.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.