WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Today's portrait practice from life (March 11th)

Hello all,

had a model here with me today. I kept away from the oil paint and tried to really draw carefully today. So we only got 2 drawings in 4 hours (minus pauses). Both are only Willow Charcoal.

#1 Model was reading here

#2 Switched to artificial light here. I like that better, but I guess for many models it might be uncomfy to be together with a dude in a darkened room. This is an experienced model, who is an artist herself, so she understood and was fine with it.

The first one actually has the better likeness I think ... the second one to my eyes a better overall appearance.

C&C always welcome.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 03-11-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: medium info added
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Today's portrait practice from life (March 11th)

I don't see them as not alike, but rather different views of the same person. The first is immersed in her book, the second, aware and watchful. The strong shadow and her features suggest she is a strong person. I like both, and see how a person (me) would "like" the second one more, choose it to buy, rather than the first...There's more personality in the second. Well done.
Crafor
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Dana Design

Both sketches are too harsh, IMO. There is no sublety to the forms. Too many darks against lights and not enough greys to turn the form of the face. The second especially makes her look quite angry rather than contemplative.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thanky you crafor, glad you like it

Thank for you input Dana . I just try to draw what I see and indeed I have problems with sublety of the forms. I'll see to get to it next weekend with the new models.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

You are really making some progress now Sascha the structure of both drawings is good. And you are drawing what you see. You probably have the spot light quite close to the model which is giving you good form and nice reflected light. If you want to reduce the strong core shadow just move the spot back a bit. But using it the way you are it gives you something positive to draw.
Don’t know if you have it but Dover Publications have a series of slim books on drawings by the masters. The one that would interest you is “Sargent Portrait Drawings” 42 Works by John Singer Sargent. Most of them are charcoal drawings. The light is different from portrait to portrait, presumably he was posing the models in different locations and using what ever light was available. They are all beautifully inspiring and teach so much.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.