Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing What is the best flooring for the studio of an oil painter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bluebird70

I am redoing the flooring in my home studio. I need something beautiful but tough at the same time. I am at a loss as what to try. Tile is too hard on the feet and back and the grout is not easy to clean. Hard wood is beautiful but too delicate. Any suggestions?

Judith Anderson
        “If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.”
        ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

J Miller

I like high quality laminate. Looks like hardwood but much tougher and easier to clean.

Jim

Jeff Dewey

I have polyurethane covered hardwood floors. I am not particularly neat and spills occasionally occur but can be cleaned or scraped up. I like both the look and feel of the floor and prefer it over a laminate.

Aspsusa

I like high quality laminate. Looks like hardwood but much tougher and easier to clean.

Someone once told me that the trick to buying high quality laminate is to opt for varieties meant for public spaces – much more durable.
                    (There’s some kind of scale for this, but it might well be totally different in different parts of the world, so I won’t even try to remember or google this.)

The floor in our small art supply shop is laminate of this type. It was put in by the previous tenant, an art gallery, no idea how long ago, maybe 7-10 years?
                    Anyway, when we were fixing up the place to open the shop we did nothing to the floor except wash it. Once the walls were painted, but when it was still empty, a friend of mine looked in: “Oh, what a nice new floor you have!”, she said.
                    Nope, it was the same floor she had seen before just as the gallery had moved out, it was only washed :lol:

La_

i’ve got, and like, knotty pine ‘walling’ – it’s not meant for floors (flooring), it’s suppose to go on walls (walling, yes, i made up that word), but i put it in my studio and bedrooms and it’s warm, durable, cheap and has lasted now for 15 years. tongue and groove.
                        i’d do it again

la

DylanF

My studio has linoleum floors. Once a year I move everything and clean them. There caked with oil and acrylic paint by then. I just soak it in amonia for about half an hour and everything comes right up.

ntl

Are you talking of real, honest to God linoleum, or vinyl or some other product?

Brayzen

A great big drop cloth … :thumbsup:

chewie

not sure I know the best, but i have cement floors and painted them with garage floor paint. it has chipped, scuffed, and in general, looks pretty ugly and I’ve only had it less than 5 years. so at least I can tell you what not to do!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
                                        --- "Interview with God" (author unknown)
                                        ]

Edradour

I tend to use a tarpaulin (reinforced plastic sheet about 5′ square) that I bought from a local garden center.

Robert A Stuart
                                            My Website: rstuart.com

Cheap, spill resistant.

Just don’t let it become a trip hazard.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

JamieWG

I did a nice, light laminate in both studios. I buy area rugs for easel areas. They look nice, are not too expensive, and you can toss them after many years of studio use and save your floors! I do use dropcloths in some areas when working on something messy (like drippy acrylic, etc.).

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                                [/url]
                                                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

sharon.art

An inexpensive area rug. I always protect the floor with a rug of some kind under my easel, then I can always throw it away if necessary, though I’ve never found it necessary yet. LOL. :cat:

Dave Owen

I have a dull red quarry tile floor with absolutely loads of splattered paint on it. It was in the place when I moved in and has been there for over 60 years. Apart from a little foot traffic wear in the doorway and the paint splatters it’s in remarkably good condition still.
                                                        I move and clean the paint off every year or so but I am just as happy with it covered in paint.
                                                        It’s my work area and I am not bothered what it looks like so I don’t have to worry about it from that point of view.

I do however keep everything nice and tidy and if it were not for the paint on the floor most people would think that I did nothing in there.

Nature is the painter,
                                                        we are simply the scribes who document it
                                                        for the people of today and the historians of tomorrow. Anon.

Gaiden

you should take a look at resin floor.
                                                            it’s like a varnish to spread on the floor: it’s leveling, very strong, easy to wash and you can find it in every color/texture/smoothness you want.
                                                            an eternal floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qua8YryMxs

http://www.resinsurfaces.co.uk/products.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.