WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 12:10 AM
Sacramento

Hails from United States
Re: Facing the Matterhorn

One other thought. Should there be some gradation in the sky from right (lighter) to left (darker) since the sun is on the right?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Thank you very much, mmattalo, for the highly encouraging comments. Much appreciated. I'm pretty much finished with this one, I reckon, but you just never know.

Thanks a lot, Patricia, for the generous comments. Appreciated. I did wonder about adding a splash of colour, either pink or yellow, but decided against it in the end. Nothing's carved in stone, though.

Best to both

B
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Ah, Patricia, I've just seen this second reply. I used three source photos for this painting and one of them showed just a trace of difference from left to right, and I did look closely. The other two had a definite shift but the sun was visible in one. It's something to mull over but at this stage I'm happy with it as is. I think I'll call this one done because I'm at that humming and harring stage.

Thanks for dropping in a second time to comment. Deeply appreciated.

B
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

That is a lot of snow about 2/3 of the way up the mountain.
Do you have a reference photo?
Regards
Andrew
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 08:56 AM

I just want to point out that most photos and climbs are taken in the late summer/early fall, but there is a world of winter hiking if you have the gear when there is snow all the way to the base of the mountain, and these hikers appear to have what they need.
There are usually only a couple of months when the snow has melted enough for people to use the regular trails.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Thank you very much, Andrew and Sevan, for the pertinent questions and points. Yes, I used three reference photos and they all showed snow from the base of the mountain to the top, but they do look like winter photos. As Sevan rightly says, the conditions vary enormously from winter to summer, but even in the summer the Matterhorn is covered with snow at the higher altitudes.

Sorry about the tardy response but the festive season got in the way and then I picked up a shocking virus. Back on my feet now, though.

Best to both

B
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2020, 02:58 AM
Illinois

Hails from United States

You must have started quite a long time ago to have technique that developed!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:21 AM

Thanks, James, for dropping in to comment. Appreciated.

I started painting and drawing at school, many years ago, and I haven't stopped since. Oils are a fairly recent addition, mainly because of the cost and my lack of confidence, but I've been using them for about three years now. I've moved up to artist quality oils and find the colour saturation/intensity to work very much in my favour. So, keep at it.

B
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 01:00 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemax
I've moved up to artist quality oils and find the colour saturation/intensity to work very much in my favour. So, keep at it.

Don't throw away your money, and more importantly, your time, on cheap materials. I had a couple pictures that were vibrant yellow go muddy brown after about eight years, and the last thing you need is the recipient coming back to haunt after something that could have been prevented goes wrong! A famous example of this is Georges Seurat's La Grande Jatte painting, where the same thing happened. The problem is especially noticeable with yellows and whites. This is when the oil used in the paint goes dark, and the damage is not reversible!

Last edited by artistjames : 01-26-2020 at 01:55 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Just been to the art shop, James, to buy some gloss varnish and a variety of oil paints. I had your comments in mind at the time and made sure I bought artist quality. It's the long term that counts.

B
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 01:37 PM

You know, I agree, it's a great painting that makes you feel the remote adventurous outdoors. Humbly, I think the distant mountains are the same values as the shadowed side of the Matterhorn. Make them 1, 1.5 shades lighter, and think you'll get an extra pop.

All the best, thanks for sharing it, inspirational.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 04:39 AM

You've got me thinking, ac, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll take another look at the values on those background mountains to see how I feel. Appreciate the feedback.

B