WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Origami work with two triangles

I was suggested to post this here although it doesn't mix media nor uses unorthodox materials.

To be honest, I didn't materially make it, but I was the "master mind" behind it.

In just ten minutes, I guided twelve companions that don't particularly practice origami. They folded two duo-color paper triangles, each person made a single fold on each one of the two sheets and passed it on to the next person. I then placed the two triangles in my origami Shadow Box, and hang it on a wall for them to see what they had created.

As they folded, we all listened to an audio file with excerpts from interviews I had done about the emotional ties between origami figures and the people who have taken care of them (kept them) for some time.

Let's call this a small artistic intervention with material and spiritual results. I invented the steps to fold this work, but I have to find out if it had been done before... I have no idea. I'll ask around.

Last edited by Gerardo G. : 12-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:47 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: Origami work with two triangles

What an interesting experience this must have been...I've *never* heard of anything quite like it. The closest I can even think of is the Exquisite Corpse, where each artist adds to a drawing with the paper folded in such a way that they can only see the very edge. Do you think you'll do this again? Any changes you would make to how you conduct the experience? Thank you for sharing it with us!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

This is very unique, Gerardo, and thanks for sharing!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi L
What an interesting experience this must have been...I've *never* heard of anything quite like it. The closest I can even think of is the Exquisite Corpse, where each artist adds to a drawing with the paper folded in such a way that they can only see the very edge. Do you think you'll do this again? Any changes you would make to how you conduct the experience? Thank you for sharing it with us!
Thank you for your kind words Cyndi. birdhs–on the abstract and contemporary art forum–also mentioned to me exquisite corpse, although she was referring to the whole project of which this piece was just a small part and she was talking about the creative writing version of that game instead of the drawing one .

I would love to do this again... someday. Only thing that I missed was having a brief moment after exhibiting the piece on the wall so we could also share our thoughts and feelings regarding the activity. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, this was a small part of a bigger project so there was no time for that.

I have been thinking of similar activities where the collective making of origami isn't done through someone that teaches and a group of people individually following the steps with their own paper. It just feels so "traditional education". Know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
This is very unique, Gerardo, and thanks for sharing!

Thank you again KreativeK .

Last edited by Gerardo G. : 12-13-2019 at 06:06 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 09:32 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

I know exactly what you mean about "traditional education". There's nothing wrong with it, especially in a workshop for beginners, but if you can bring more to the experience like you have...well, that's just fantastic! I love the path you're taking
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 09:10 PM

Thank you very much CyndiL. I feel VERY flattered with your words !

Happy holidays.