Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Little Spanish sketchbook and some botanical studies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    cairomum

I spent a blissful summer in Spain where I kept a little sketchbook. I am also including a few botanical studies here too as I am currently doing the Distance Learning Diploma course with the Society of Botanical Artists. As my botanical sketchbook will be marked as part of the course, I can’t really share it yet, but these are a few non-assignment studies that I did alongside the plein airs in Spain.
        The small sketchbook is Derwent (Uzmaki Gate). It’s a nice size, A5, and the paper takes watercolour quite well… but the paper is quite yellow and took a while to get used to. The botanical sketches are A4 size.

This is the view from our balcony… I never got around to adding colour.:)

Cairo

cairomum

And of course, there was the beach just outside

My daughter and I went searching for shells but there wasn’t a great selection. I did find a nice feather though!

We visited the Bonsai museum… but it was too hot to sketch in, so we sat outside to sketch (my daughter also sketched whilst the other fed the ducks)

Actually we went to this park quite a bit to feed the ducks, and the turtles in the pond which was a novelty!

cairomum

Sometimes we went to Marbella old town where there was always a seat in the shade and a pretty view.

I liked this tiled sign… I took a photo of it and painted it at home.

cairomum

I went out with the girls to Selwo- a safari park nearby. We sat in the restaurant at the very top of the mountain and I bribed them with ice cream whilst I painted. They really wanted to go and see the animals (the lions were just below us)

As we walked back ( across rope bridges) and through the different areas, I couldn’t help collecting a few seed pods which I painted in my botanical sketchbook later

Another day, we drove up to Mijas- a tiny picturesque village in the mountains where they have donkey taxis. Okay, so they don’t really go anywhere- just round the town- but the girls loved them!

cairomum

Sometimes, I just painted at home in the evenings

One of the walls on our balcony has wonderful Morroccan style tiles… so whilst they rest of the family watched Xfactor, I doodled. It is wonky as I didn’t use a ruler, tut, tut!

… and more botanical studies

cairomum

One day we watched some young girls do a dance… I took a photo and did this at home. It’s my least favourite sketch in the book- I prefer painting plants to people!

My favourite place is a small park right in the centre of Marbella, full of huge trees and quiet corners

And finally, I couldn’t resist these lovely magnolia seed pods…. I was very naughty and picked them off the tree.

Back in Egypt, I was lucky to catch the last of the poinciana tree flowers, so I’m including that sketch here too

Thanks for looking!
                            Cairo:wave:

CaroleA

C.M. ~ Your botanicals are absolutely stunning. Your shells and feather are as well. I think you should probably be teaching your botanicals class.

I was in Marbella a few years back and wish I could have gotten out to see more; unfortunately my husband got very sick while we were there, so I was reluctant to leave the resort for very long at a time, only to walk to the market. It was beautiful; maybe we’ll go back one of these days.

Anxious to see more from you. You are an inspiring and accomplished artist.

Carole A

denyalle

This is such a great book, makes me want to go back to Spain even more than I did before! :)

~Denyalle

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
                                    (Picking jaw off the ground!)

AMAZING paintings and botanical paintings. EVERYTHING is amazing!!!!!!

Thankyou artist's of past, present and future for the wonderful inspiration and determination to make art what it is - a place, a home, a unique destination that changes daily!

Beautiful Butterflies Studio

virgo68

I’m with Stacey – there are so many WOW factor paintings here! Forgive me though, I love your botanicals best – I am particularly partial to Botanical Illustration and would love to do a course (one day I might bug you for some info about your course ;) ) Other than the botanicals, I rather like the donkeys, your colours are beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us :)

:eek: [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Jackie

JTMB

Wow, these are just exceptional! Love them all. Your perspective in the architectural subjects is really well done.

John
                                            C&C always welcome.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.

Debby

Oh my, these are so, so awesome. The botanicals are wonderful.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Jakesgram

Cairo – Stacy has it right! There aren’t enough WOW’s to cover how beautiful your work is. Thank you so much for sharing it. This is truly a journal for you to treasure.

Jean

Jean (aka Jakesgram)

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

vhere

your botanical stuff is great! my favourite is that irridescent blue feather, which you’ve caught beautifully

robertsloan2

Cairo, these are incredible! Both the architecture and the botanicals are so striking, so real and natural. I love your style, your polished skills and great sense of color and composition. The dancer didn’t come out badly even if she was difficult for you – they’re all fantastic.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                                            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                                            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.