Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art Homage to Katie Black

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Trier

This was done in gratitude for the kind and generous support that Katie Black has given me in making it mostly through the umbra, to the point of where maybe I can rejoin WC!.

Katie shared with me some of her wonderful paintings, and one of them inspired me to try to capture what I felt about it.

Don’t blame Katie for the weirdness of my picture, as is entirely my fault and out of keeping with soft beauty of Katie’s painting.

Technical Notes:
        Title: ‘Katie’s Red Beach Ball and Blueberry Bushes By Pond On Planet Zelda’
        18 x 21 in – Mixed Media (oil pigment sticks, acrylic and gouache) on plastic sheeting (big mistake)

The plastic sheeting had a folding crease that I thought I could correct after I painted on it; no. I can’t. It is very noticeable at the horizon and impossible to edit out of a photo of the painting.

I look forward to checking out what you good forum people have been doing and participating as best I can.

C & C more than welcome –

Regards
        trier

CarlyHardy

The flow and movement in this really captures the eye. I can’t imagine the challenge of working on plastic but you seemed to have managed it well.
            carly

Trier

Thank you very much Carly!

So far its a losing battle, but the possibilities of being able to use the plastic
                intrigue me for some reason (probably because I am cheap), so I will keep trying, off and on.

Regards,
                trier

Hairy wolf

Firstly, great to see you here again!!
                    Secondly, this is a wonderful piece. Very Trier’esque!!

Trier

Thanks a lot Hairy!

Great to be back.

Regards
                        Trier

Welcome back Trier!
                        Love her work and yours too! I think she is still on this site but in other forums.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Trier

Many thanks Kay, your welcome is greatly appreciated.

Regards
                            Trier

Greggo

So glad to see you again posting.
                                I always enjoyed your paintings.
                                many of your earlier works have a stain-glass effect to them, this one seems a bit dark/muddy. Perhaps a few more light bright highlights would sharpen it up a bit.

Looking forward to more from you!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Trier

Hey greggo! Great to hear from you.

Very glad you checked out my return effort, and you are right, as usual, in noting the muddy aspect The original is not that dark, but because of the plastic substrate, a photo will show glare and burned out reflections under normal lighting; and in this instant photo, using subdued lighting, it has a dark film like a glaze overall.

I will try to get a closer to real life photo, and if I luck out I will repost because it bothers me not to get closer to the original.

Regards
                                    Trier

Trier

Couldn’t resist trying some quick & dirty tweaking of the posted photo before

turning in and I think I made a little progress. It will do until tomorrow.

Hope you all see a good difference.

Greggo

this is much better!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

trufflecat

Fun times: – you and Carly both back at the forum. Welcome back! This painting certainly looks like ‘you’, especially in the reworked version. I really like it. Keep it up so we can see more.

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                                                trufflecat

Speaking of Katie Black, maybe we’ll get lucky and she’ll come back too!

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                                                    Trier

Thank you Susan.

It’s good to be back with you and the rest of the good people here. I plan to keep it up as long as I am able to.

Jon

Good to see you posting again and what a compliment to Katie, too.
                                                            I like the extra pop of color you have added in the second image.
                                                            Keep painting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.