Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Tools and Materials My Senneliers, My Lovely Senneliers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Art_Rabbit

I need a strategy and some advice. First of all, I’m one who struggles with the rest of life, and ADHD, and spreading myself too thin, wanting to do many creative things. That’s something I just have to keep working on, gaining discipline and focus, and is beyond the scope of this post, but it’s background.

The specific thing I want to ask is a question that might help me not be nervous about plunging in with my Sennelier (regular size) pastels. I invested in a selection back in 2005 (yes, you read that correctly) from open stock chosen based on my color preferences. I wanted to play with my mid-grade pastels before plunging in with the expensive Senneliers. Life got in the way.

Last week I ordered a few more colors to fill in gaps, as I’d ordered a portfolio from Blick and had a few dollars to spend to get free shipping. So I opened the box with my original color selection for the first time in several years. I am thinking Bucket List, it’s just stupid not to start using these. But they will go fast, so I’m torn between wanting to be loose and creative vs. really trying to produce something I’m happy with as an end result.

So here’s my practical, objective question: Would it work to do an underpainting with my mid-grade oil pastels, upon which I would then do the “real” artwork using the Senneliers? I am one who fills the canvas; I don’t gravitate toward a figure or scene against an open ground of my substrate. My style leans toward Abstract Expressionist and nonrepresentational, but I’m open to some recognizable elements, probably stylized.

It’d really help if I felt that filling the space with an underlayer using the less pricey materials wouldn’t compromise the integrity of the finished piece. I mean, I doubt it’ll be going in a museum after all; if I were at that level of professionalism I wouldn’t have to wonder about materials OR affordability thereof! ;)

So – advice please! Thanks in advance!

terriks

Hi, Art Rabbit! :wave:

Absolutely, use your mid-grade OP’s to get the first layers down, or your underpainting. I do it all the time, and so do many of us here. Senns are our regal lady of OP’s, but they are costly, and we’re all in the same boat as far as that goes.

I have a set of Cray-Pas Expressionists – student/mid-grade, I think – and they get their best use as underpaintings or filled out OP sketches. They’re very inexpensive but fair quality for the price. I then move on and do more layers with Mungyo Gallery Soft Artist Grade, filling out the bulk of my paintings with those. My precious Senns are reserved for top layers, flourishes of white, or just certain special Senns colors that no one else can replicate.

There’s no harm in trying to get them to last. They feel beautiful when they glide over the other OP’s. So just enjoy them, and have fun – we’d love to see you post your work in the Studio, too! :thumbsup:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Art_Rabbit

Hi, Art Rabbit! :wave:

Absolutely, use your mid-grade OP’s to get the first layers down, or your underpainting. I do it all the time, and so do many of us here. Senns are our regal lady of OP’s, but they are costly, and we’re all in the same boat as far as that goes.

I have a set of Cray-Pas Expressionists – student/mid-grade, I think – and they get their best use as underpaintings or filled out OP sketches. They’re very inexpensive but fair quality for the price. I then move on and do more layers with Mungyo Gallery Soft Artist Grade, filling out the bulk of my paintings with those. My precious Senns are reserved for top layers, flourishes of white, or just certain special Senns colors that no one else can replicate.

There’s no harm in trying to get them to last. They feel beautiful when they glide over the other OP’s. So just enjoy them, and have fun – we’d love to see you post your work in the Studio, too! :thumbsup:

Awesome! :clap: Thanks so much! I think I have the Expressionists – I know I have some Mungyos for sure because they’re in the box with the Senneliers. I’m pretty sure I have other oil pastels in different grades, just need to look through the rest of the shelf from which I pulled the Sennelier box. It will feel good to get back to them and I can even practice with some of the cheapie sets to get warmed up and loose. :thumbsup:

terriks

You’re very welcome!

I can even practice with some of the cheapie sets to get warmed up and loose.

That’s probably a good idea, if you’ve been away from them for awhile. Play with different brands, even paper if you have some. Sounds like you’re set up and ready to go.

Have fun! Hope to see some of your work in the Studio! :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Art_Rabbit

You’re very welcome!

That’s probably a good idea, if you’ve been away from them for awhile. Play with different brands, even paper if you have some. Sounds like you’re set up and ready to go.

Have fun! Hope to see some of your work in the Studio! :)

Thanks :) Hope to have some things soon. Next time I place an order I want to get some of the specialty paper for oil pastels, and fixative, to try.

Mira

Hi Art Rabbit! :)

You are not alone – lots of artists are afraid to even touch Senneliers as they will go fast…
                            But there are some artists here who use Senns almost exclusively – fishfan and Sarah. Then I think Becky uses two most expensive brands of OPs – Holbeins (they last longer than Senns but they are thin sticks) and Senneliers.
                            But I have to say all of them have been working with OPs for a long time so they know what they are spending the Senns on and what result they can get.

So your suggestion and Terri’s suggestion sound most sensible: underpainting with cheaper harder OPs and Senns on top. You’ll get the feel of them and eventually you will find out how much Senns you actually want in a painting :) Some paintings only require final touches with Senns while other paintings need lots of Senns :)
                            I haven’t had much experience with Senns but here is what I did once: I took a small piece of paper (smaller than A4) and did a painting using only Senneliers. I wanted to get a feel of them and understand why other artists admire this brand so much. It was a completely different thing than just using Senns for final touch-ups and highlights. I enjoyed it a lot. Though I don’t dare to do full paintings with just Senns (nor do I have or can afford that many).

So yeah, give it a go! Looking forward to hearing about your experience ;)

PS: did you mean “Sennelier Oil Pastel Card” by mentioning special OP paper? As far as I know, some of our artists were disappointed with it. And it’s pricey… There are better options, both expensive and not. An awesome (but costly) choice is Clairefontaine Pastelmat. Otherwise any thicker paper with slightly textured surface will do. Regular pastel paper like Canson Mi-Teints works too. Thick craft paper is another option.

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

SarahY

You are not alone – lots of artists are afraid to even touch Senneliers as they will go fast…
                                But there are some artists here who use Senns almost exclusively – fishfan and Sarah.

Yep. I think Neopastels cost more than Senneliers, though. The sticks are more expensive, smaller, and you have to paint them on a lot more thickly to get a smooth, even coverage. Getting Neopastels to spread is a pain in the bum. I can easily use nearly a whole stick in one painting, this is not the case with Senneliers which spread really easily. Put a scribble down in Sennelier, smoosh it out flat; easy and cheap in comparison to Neopastel. I also wouldn’t bother painting in the Zorn palette, which uses only four sticks, in anything other than Senneliers because all that colour mixing with Neopastels would wear my fingers to nothing. So Senneliers do have some unique properties that other oil pastels simply don’t.

PS: did you mean “Sennelier Oil Pastel Card” by mentioning special OP paper? As far as I know, some of our artists were disappointed with it. And it’s pricey… There are better options, both expensive and not. An awesome (but costly) choice is Clairefontaine Pastelmat. Otherwise any thicker paper with slightly textured surface will do. Regular pastel paper like Canson Mi-Teints works too. Thick craft paper is another option.

Sennelier Oil Pastel Card is the Worst. Thing. Ever.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Mira

Yep. I think Neopastels cost more than Senneliers, though. The sticks are more expensive, smaller, and you have to paint them on a lot more thickly to get a smooth, even coverage. Getting Neopastels to spread is a pain in the bum.

Yes, Neos are more expensive. I used to think they should last longer than Sennelier (even being smaller) but what you say about spreading them… I didn’t know that! I don’t have many Neopastel sticks and don’t use them much (and can’t say I like them that much either).

So Senneliers do have some unique properties that other oil pastels simply don’t.

Yes, absolutely!!! :heart:

Sennelier Oil Pastel Card is the Worst. Thing. Ever.

haha, I think your review of the Sennelier OP Card was the first one that came to my mind :lol:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Art_Rabbit

Thanks everyone for even more very detailed and useful information. Especially regarding the Sennelier oil pastel card which was indeed the one I had in mind. And for the suggestion of alternatives. I have miscellaneous papers I’ve used before which should be suitable for the warming up and experimentation stage, so I won’t be in a rush to buy substrate immediately.

I had not heard about the Zorn palette so I Googled it. It’s interesting to discover all sorts of things about undertones, different pigments’ properties, and so on. I also work with acrylics, Golden being my brand of choice, and I’ve learned a fair amount from their newsletters and website. I gravitate toward saturated high chroma colors, and often in acrylics I start out with some thinned liquid paint in CMYK mode and let it blend and suggest what to develop – nonrepresentational flying by the seat of my pants. :cool:

With oil pastel I might have more of a planned approach – or I may not. But the medium works in its own way. (And then there’s mixed media but I’ll stop here for now.) When it does come down to maybe deliberately choosing an OP substrate for a particular effect, I’ll know if I want something more or less textured, maybe a painting board coated with pastel ground, whatever.

Thanks again for the good ideas!

Mira

Looking forward to seeing how OPs work for you, Art Rabbit! :cool:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.