Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ArtsyCrafter

So, I’m new here and a self taught arts & craft hobbyist who enjoys painting with acrylic craft paint. So, I’m not that knowledgeable in the “art world.”

Anyway, I recently discovered this fun diy scratch art method on YouTube. You mix black paint (I just use my acrylic craft paint) with a little dish soap and paint over oil pastels or crayons on thick paper (I’m using cardstock paper and student grade soft oil pastels). After it dries, you can take something with a point to scratch your design.

My question for all you people who know more about art than me is if there is a way to seal it? I’ve googled and found that you can’t really seal oil pastels, but I’m making it to put on a home made card for my cousin’s wedding. I’m not wanting it to last forever, I just am hoping to prevent unwanted scratching from happening after I’m finished with the design. I tried spraying a scrap piece with Modge Podge gloss acrylic sealer and while it made it nice and shiny, I was still able to make scratch marks after it dried. Is it the dish soap that interferes or is it because there’s acrylic paint on top of oil pastels?

Thanks for any suggestions or explanations

Cyndi L

Good morning and welcome to WetCanvas! There’s actually a channel that might be a better place for your question. It focuses entirely on Scratchboard art!!
            https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?s=&channel_id=64

ArtsyCrafter

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I stopped scrolling after seeing Mixed Media, so I didn’t realize there was a specific section for scratch art. That’ll teach me not to look at all the options. Ha

Welcome and best of luck!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.