Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art WIP Spitfire in oils

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    neillydone

Work in progress of a Spitfire from the Biggin Hill hangar in the UK, oil on canas paper 10in x 7in.

[ATTACH]867189[/ATTACH]

It’s from a photo so I’m aware the fuselage has a bit of a strange shape near the viewer and I need to adjust the direction of the radio mast as it shouldnt be vertical.

C&C welcome.

Neil

Looking forward to its completion…

Gray539

Good start, neilly. Photo’s can give you distortions.

neillydone

I’ve done a but more work on this now, would appreciate any critique whether there is enough difference in tone – I’m thinking that the rear of the fuselage should be much darker…still need to fix the curve under the wing root.

[ATTACH]867219[/ATTACH]

Neil

Trumper

Hi I hope you don’t mind i have found one of my photos and flipped it to match the angle.

Sorry about the awful editing ,it really is not my thing LOL :).The fuselage needs to be rounder ,yours looks flat and also tapers down towards the tail.The Spitfire is a pig of an aircraft to get the angles right ,good luck :thumbsup:

[ATTACH]867337[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]867336[/ATTACH]

NeilF92

The letters and roundel would help show the roundness of the fuselage if you paint light into the top halves and shade the lower .

neillydone

Hi I hope you don’t mind i have found one of my photos and flipped it to match the angle.

Sorry about the awful editing ,it really is not my thing LOL :).The fuselage needs to be rounder ,yours looks flat and also tapers down towards the tail.The Spitfire is a pig of an aircraft to get the angles right ,good luck :thumbsup:

[ATTACH]867337[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]867336[/ATTACH]

Hello everybody

thanks for the tips – thats really helpful! been a bit of a hiatus at present but the photo is useful reference!!

Sparticus

I’m liking your composition and idea of the Spit in the hangar. Will it be a morning scene? Good start.

https://spartidesign.myportfolio.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.