Home Forums Explore Subjects Marine Art Victory at Sea, Rule Brittania?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pinguino

Not really about art, unless you consider film-making to be art (pause for dramatic effect)… This one is for the older readers here.

In the early 1950s, there was a US television show featuring American naval war footage from WWII. It was called Victory at Sea. A few years later much of its was compiled into a single movie.

In the era circa 1960, when I was a boy, I recall seeing the occasional Victory at Sea episode, or rather just the tail end of it, in early-morning television. In that era, the few networks would show miscellaneous low-cost things in the early morning or late night (such as Farm Report, in an urban area).

But if my memory serves me correctly, the closing of Victory at Sea featured a battleship firing cannons in the background, as Rule Brittania played. But Rule Brittania was never an American anthem; it is British.

I haven’t found any reference to this on the Internet. Any of you marine artists happen to know? Perhaps my memory is merging two different things.

I also remember Jon Gnagy… Had his drawing kit. One of the scenes was of a Mississippi Riverboat at the dock.

vegaskip

Go to You Tube, enter Victory at Sea series. As easy as that.
            Jim

Pinguino

Go to You Tube, enter Victory at Sea series. As easy as that.
                Jim

Not that easy. Although the complete series is indeed on YouTube, I did not see the expected footage in Episode 1, nor did I see any musical credits to anyone but the American NBC Orchestra and American music composers. Not going to look at all of them to see if perchance the footage appears at the end of a particular episode, especially due to long download times.

However, I just learned that at a place I often go for beer after soccer, an elderly ex-Marine (fought in WWII) comes in at a different time. I’ll go when he’s there, and ask him. If anyone has seen all those episodes, maybe even has the set on DVD, he would.

vegaskip

Not that easy. Although the complete series is indeed on YouTube, I did not see the expected footage in Episode 1, nor did I see any musical credits to anyone but the American NBC Orchestra and American music composers. Not going to look at all of them to see if perchance the footage appears at the end of a particular episode, especially due to long download times.

However, I just learned that at a place I often go for beer after soccer, an elderly ex-Marine (fought in WWII) comes in at a different time. I’ll go when he’s there, and ask him. If anyone has seen all those episodes, maybe even has the set on DVD, he would.

I doubt if you will find anywhere on the net that will show the last few minutes you want without fast forwarding to the end. You gave the impression that you were unable to find the series anywhere on the internet. I pointed you in the right direction for the series,
                    By the way the British Pacific Fleet fought alongside the US. Maybe there was an episode where it was mentioned and that’s why they played ‘Rule Britannia’. We did have several BB’s there, and even a French one.

Jim

Pinguino

What you say is indeed quite possible. I note that the film footage includes various sources, among them the Nazis. Everybody had cameras on board or on land, it seems.

But I think my best bet is to ask the ex-Marine. I’m told that he’s the kind of guy who never stopped fighting the war, as they say.

I asked here at WC, guessing that some of the marine artists might be fans of that old series, and happen to know the answer from memory. Guess not.

Ted B.

Victory at Sea covered both the British efforts and the Americans’, even the Aussies. The music score was written by Richard Rodgers of Rodgers and Hammerstein using original and popular motifs. It was so in demand he reworked some into a concert suite, and several excerpts became pop songs with lyrics.

The entire series on YouTube;
                            https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMOJ05TrdIZA7pNQa5YjrHuPIDPdHPIod

Radical Fundemunsellist

hmshood5

I have the whole series on DVD. I’ll have to look.

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                                www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.