Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio GOUACHE CORNER Paint-a-long Portraits — Pets and People

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    rozzi

Hello everyone :wave:

It’s been a while since I’ve been here but I would like to get back into gouache a bit more, particularly sketching. My particular interest is in portraits at the moment but that could change at the drop of a hat :lol:

I’m posting some inspirational portraits and if any of you would like to join me I would welcome you with open arms.

There is a wealth of information and inspiration out there on the web but some of the best are right here on Wet Canvas.

While trawling the net I found this link[/URL] in the archives on portraiture with gouache.

and from our Deborah Secor

One from Annie aka doppler

One from Ralp Parker aka Old Tex

A portrait by Meg Lyman

With the step by step here[/URL]

One from 1880 – Mary Cassett – self portrait

Interesting the difference in the way you can use gouache.

I will post some more links when I have more time to find them. Or if any of you have some good links pleas post them here too.

I have done a couple which I painted for Weekend Drawing Events using gouache with other media……not in the same league as the above, but hey, it’s fun!! The 2 hour time frame is good for me so I don’t procrastinate too much, but I can always go back and do some more. I find gouache is easy to work over if I leave it a day or so to give it a bit of time to set.

First one is in a Strathmore watercolour sketchbook over a grey watercolour wash and 8b pencil.

Then I experimented on canvas painted with acrylic and finished with a spray varnish.

Last weekend was a photo ref from scattykat. Started out as a pen and ink sketch on some old glossy paper but it was a disaster so I threw some gouache over with a waterbrush. Gouache dries nice and quick so I finished it in 20 minutes. Fun when all is lost anyway!!!

Now, you don’t have to paint portraits ………. but it would be fun to see some.
        Paint anything you like, just come and join me.

Comments welcome and critiques greatly appreciated :D
        Ros
        My Blog ***My Flickr Site***Instagram

M.L. Schaefer

Ros, what a fabulous idea and wonderful examples!!!! :thumbsup:

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

rozzi

Thanks Margarete.

I should have included in the title Portraits, People and Animals Because I know a lot of peeps like to paint cats and dogs. I’d love them to join in too.

I did a sketch today for WDE and I will continue my gouache theme. This one started out as a brush sketch in Opera Rose watercolour. I love that colour and have never used it before but it was the perfect colour for the scarf.

Started to add washy gouache in places then thicker in others.

A bit more still quite thin layers at this stage. I’m stopping at this point because I’m starting to fiddle, and the advice is when you don’t quite know what to do next…. don’t.

Ros

Mary Y

Hi Ros,
                    What great examples and a very interesting article by Rob Howard .I have never tried to paint a portrait ,are you going to do a WIP? I’m off to dig out my gouache.

Mary

rozzi

Hmm mm ….. a WIP? I’ll have to think about that :lol:

I would love to see your first portrait Mary. But a cat would be good too :cat:

Ros

fivespices

Ros;

Very lively and fun sketch. And thanks for leading the thread.:thumbsup:

Here is color mixing exercise after one of Bouguereau sketch.

It is going to be fun to study with you, Ros.

Kim
                            C&C always appreciated

M.L. Schaefer

Yay!!! I just started my very First Gouache!!!! And it’s been FUN! And it’s been Fast! And I hope to have it done to photograph tomorrow!

Mine is a topsy turvey Gouache. I knew I was going to do a Gouache Painting this month for Gouache Corner, so I had my paper cut and ready, and I have dozens of ACEO sized cats already drawn!

I washed the paper all over with White Gouache, and it’s been drying for about a week. Then I decided to use my watercolor skills (?:) ) to paint with Gouache. Building up from light to dark, and/or mid tone to light/dark. That way I could add lights, add darks and keep it clean looking. The eyes for instance: Lemon Yellow and I mixed my own olives, and built it up from the yellow. I am limited, very limited in tube colors, but I must say using White Gouache and Black Gouache has been so much FUN and so freeing!!!!:lol: I need a pupil in the eye, and tone down the black lines, or go from gray cat to black cat. But the first layers are getting down, very quickly!

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)

rozzi

Ros;

Very lively and fun sketch. And thanks for leading the thread.:thumbsup:

Here is color mixing exercise after one of Bouguereau sketch.
                                    [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2015/60973-image.jpg[/IMG]

It is going to be fun to study with you, Ros.

Kim
                                    C&C always appreciated

Oh Kim, this is super. Great skin tones and very good control with gouache.

Thanks for joining the party. You are obviously much more experienced with portraits than I am. Mine are just really sketches, something I can do quickly with my short little attention span :lol:

I’m looking forward to studying with you.

Ros

rozzi

Yay!!! I just started my very First Gouache!!!! And it’s been FUN! And it’s been Fast! And I hope to have it done to photograph tomorrow!

Mine is a topsy turvey Gouache. I knew I was going to do a Gouache Painting this month for Gouache Corner, so I had my paper cut and ready, and I have dozens of ACEO sized cats already drawn!

I washed the paper all over with White Gouache, and it’s been drying for about a week. Then I decided to use my watercolor skills (?:) ) to paint with Gouache. Building up from light to dark, and/or mid tone to light/dark. That way I could add lights, add darks and keep it clean looking. The eyes for instance: Lemon Yellow and I mixed my own olives, and built it up from the yellow. I am limited, very limited in tube colors, but I must say using White Gouache and Black Gouache has been so much FUN and so freeing!!!!:lol: I need a pupil in the eye, and tone down the black lines, or go from gray cat to black cat. But the first layers are getting down, very quickly!

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2015/134492-DSCF1633.JPG[/IMG]

Margarete

Yay! ! First gouache :thumbsup: It is fun isn’t it? Your start is fabulous with your obvious skill in drawing and watercolor…… and colour mixing. That eye I great. I’m really looking forward to seeing the progress on your kitty.

I sometimes start with a layer of gesso, usually to cover up a bad watercolor, and I really like painting on that surface too.

Ros

Deborah Secor

I had some fun a while back learning how to paint portraits in gouache. I was interested in how different papers made such lovely textures, to varying effects.

I love working on Pastelmat paper! I know that sounds weird, but honestly you ought to give it a try if you can find some. It loves water and is very soft and thirsty. If you use it, be sure you have a blender brush or you’ll get tide lines when you go back in. I painted these two on it:

[INDENT][INDENT]

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

These are on Arches 300 lb. cold press watercolor paper, which gives more typical texture to the paintings, if you like the look:

[INDENT][INDENT]

These two look different because they’re larger.

And I thought I’d throw in these animals, since Ros mentioned painting them, too.

These are 4×6″.

And this is 5×7″.
                                            [/INDENT][/INDENT]

And this one is on Bristol paper, which lets all the paint stay on top of the paper, showing all the lush strokes:

[INDENT][INDENT]
                                            [/INDENT][/INDENT]

(By the way, many of these are small paintings, 2.5″ x 3.5″, so I don’t show them large! It makes them look too odd.)

Anyway, just thought I’d share. Have fun!

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                            Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                            Gouache Blog

M.L. Schaefer

WOW, Deborah, these are so beautiful! and it was so wonderful to have you posting! Hurrah to that!

Margarete

M.L. Schaefer

Almost done! I’ll have to deepen the colors in the little cat (due to the darker background – I should have stuck with the white background?) plus add whiskers (the hand shaking part – I have to wait until the background dries rock hard) and a lot of work on the ears … Then done! I’ve learned a LOT, and have much more to learn! Gonna save my pennies for more colors…plenty of blues and purples, sadly lacking greens/yellows! I did learn I love Gouache!

So far:

Margarete

rozzi

Deborah…….. wow:clap: :clap: I just love looking at your paintings. I could look at them for ages. Thanks so much for posting these, specially as there are some I haven’t seen before. And thanks for your tips on papers. I should try some different papers as I have some pastel papers here,not sure of the brand though.

Ros

rozzi

This is beautiful Margarete. You have done a great job – those eyes are amazing.
                                                            I think you are right though, it would have stood on its own on a white background so a few darker values will enhance it even more.
                                                            When I paint whiskers I use a rigger brush with inky consistency and paint them quickly, away from the face so that the lines thin out towards the tip. Have a few tries on scrap first.

Ros

DC56

Rod great website, thank you for sharing.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Like emotion, color speaks to the soul."

Comments along w/ critiques always welcome, DanaC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.