Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Zero ventilation, oil painting safety?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    clifop

I know this topic is covered often but I couldn’t find an answer by searching through the forums.

Currently I’m using water mixable oils in an 8′ x 10′ room with no possible ventilation. Should I be concerned for my health?

Also I’m considering switching to traditional oils. Would it help to buy an air purifier to make up for the lack of ventilation?

Thanks

– new guy

DaveGhmn

Welcome to WetCanvas.

Most of the time, it’s better to use Google’s ‘site:’ keyword than to use the search here. In other words, in Google, type in: oil paint ventilation safety site:https://www.wetcanvas.com

A residential air purifier of the type that uses filters, HEPA or otherwise, won’t remove hydrocarbons or other airborne solvents. Neither will those passive ‘purifiers’ that use mumbo-jumbo methods and have no fan. A commercial system that’s EPA-rated for VOC reduction will cost as much as (or more than) adding a means to pipe fresh air to the room via ductwork.

Judging a Manet from the point of view of Bouguereau, the Manet has not been finished. Judging a Bouguereau from the point of view of Manet, the Bouguereau has not been begun.

--Robert Henri, The Art Spirit

Welcome to WC and the oils forum! :wave: If you are using solvent then you need ventilation. The paint isn’t a problem.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

clifop

Thanks for the replies.

I’m currently renting in a condo so adding duct work is not really an option for me.

So if I can do solvent free – traditional oil painting, the lack of ventilation won’t be a problem? That’s good to know.

Aires

You should be safe using water mixable oils or acrylics in a space like yours. It is when you get into solvents (like mineral spirits or turpentine) that you get into trouble. A good illustration is that nursing homes usually allow painting classes as long as no solvents are used. It is possible to use traditional oils without using solvents – there are many discussions about that on the WC forums, just search under solvent free oil painting.

AnnieA

Hi and welcome to wc! There is a non-toxic solvent, spike lavender oil. It is expensive, but far less so than an air purifier or ductwork.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                        [FONT=Palatino]
                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

cb3

Google Solvent Free Oil Painting for ideas. Here are a few links.
                            Also if for some reason you need to use a solvent you could always take the painting outside or in a garage until the solvent flashed off then bring it back inside to finish painting. Long story short – no ventilation, no solvents. Turpentine, Mineral Spirits, Odorless Mineral Spirits, etc. all need good ventilation.

Just a few links to get you started:
                            http://danielrigos.com/blog/tag/solvent-free-oil-painting/
                            http://www.amien.org/forums/showthread.php?1582-Solvent-free-oil-painting
                            http://rourkevisualart.com/wordpress/2006/12/29/oil-painting-without-solvents/#more-237
                            http://www.artpurveyors.com/nosolvents.html

Hope this helps,
                            Chris

Anonymous

The elimination of solvent from paint mixes is actually very simple and easy, I do it all the time in the winter, who has adequate ventilation then? not me, I don’t. For medium, just use an oil, walnut is a nice thin one, walnut alkyd for faster drying. Avoid thick brands of oil paint and learn to love the oily ones, graham, rembrandt, winsor newton, and lukas berlin all work fine for me.
                                Cleaning brushes and materials is more of a problem but here is what I do when i am going solvent free. wipe off palette etc with some of the same oil. dip brushes in some of the oil and wipe off as much as you can either on a canvas or rags, phone book whatev. or else just use a disposable palette. Then lather brushes very thoroughly with a bar of ivory soap to clean them well. When it gets to the cleaning part it makes me so glad that I learned how to paint with only a few brushes at the most, it makes cleanup really simple. Water mixables make it even way easier. There you have it, oil painting without any solvents, end of story, ..done.

clifop

Thanks people. I’ve decided to take the plunge into traditional oils. I bought about a dozen Winsor Newton oils and walnut oil.

If its as simple as thinning and cleaning with walnut oil and water and soap, why would you even bother with solvents? Am I missing something here?

crafor

No, or rather yes. You are missing inhaling the toxins of the solvents. Solvent free is a good way to go. For more information, check the AMIEN website.
                                        Crafor

Aires

I personally think cleaning with thinner is faster – but who cares, clean is clean however you get there. Besides, I do think oil keeps bristles flexible with less shedding. Both methods of brush cleaning work, your choice.
                                            Now that you’ve made a choice of type of paint, happy painting!

Brian5701

If you want to go really simple, just paint with palette/painting knives. No washing at all – just wiping onto a rag.

Red 9

Thanks people. I’ve decided to take the plunge into traditional oils. I bought about a dozen Winsor Newton oils and walnut oil.

If its as simple as thinning and cleaning with walnut oil and water and soap, why would you even bother with solvents? Am I missing something here?

Well it’s most technical stuff like using straight solvent for under layers to speed up drying and prevent cracking. But honestly I wouldn’t worry about that stuff yet, just use the walnut oil, it’s wonderful!

sharkbarf

I paint in a large studio, but no ventilation.
                                                        I recently switched mediums to Stand-oil. It is very malodorous so I keep a lid on it. In the past few days I’ve been getting headaches that feel like migraines and I’m starting to think it’s from this switch.
                                                        I’m going to stop using it for a few days to see if that helps. And go get some walnut oil.

Critique Please!!

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford

Stand oil is just thickened linseed oil, It is not toxic in fumes or otherwise.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Zero ventilation, oil painting safety?’ is closed to new replies.