Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Sunflowers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TomMather

My city plants fields of sunflowers every year, which are always big attractions. This year they planted a field in our new downtown park. I joined a local plein air group in painting sunflowers at the park last weekend and it was rewarding although very hot.

I completed only one painting plein air as it was too hot and sunny to stay out much longer. (I was hospitalized for heat exhaustion about two weeks ago!) However, I’ve started three more paintings from photos that I took at the sunflower fields. The first painting shown is my 8×10 plein air version, and the others are all studio paintings in various stages of completion. The plein air experience helped me better gauge colors and values in my studio, but it’s almost always easier for me to work out compositions in the studio.

I can understand why Van Gogh liked sunflowers. They are not only colorful but fun to paint.

Outstanding! Excellent images. I, too love sunflowers.

I like that your plein air work informed what you did in the studio. Looking intently outside does seem to give a jolt to work done at home? Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dorrart

Very nice. The powerful graphic designs border on abstraction. I like the paint handling and color, especially that sky. The way you’ve applied it so flatly yet it positively vibrates, I sense an underpainting tone in it.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Reddyman

Tom….beautiful colour transitions of these wonderful floral scenes…sunflowers always make such superb compositions and these are no exception. Excellent work.
                John

CaliAnn

Love sunflowers too – love the paintings – beautiful job on them

TomMather

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone!

Arnie

The sunflower yellow is just right, and petals very natural. Good movement also.
                            Arnie

sevan

I never know what to expect with sunflower paintings. These blew me away, and you made them your own. Love that style.

RandyP

These are great! My favorite is the third one because I like all the shapes created by the sunflower against the sky.

Randy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.