Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Low angle lighting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

The first of these is a view of our property. The dominant tree has been described by a neighbor as the biggest weed in the neighborhood. It disperses thousands of seeds every year, leaving home owners in the area to pull up saplings. The tree is in the parking strip and belongs to the city.

The second is based on an AARP ad. It caught my eye so I gave it a try. I substituted a walker with mutt for a bicyclist. Great practice.

C&C Welcome, Gary

The Biggest Weed – 8×8 oil on Gesso
    [ATTACH]866783[/ATTACH]

AARP Ad – 8×10 Oil on Gesso
    [ATTACH]866784[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Ohiohawk97

You certainly made the tree look outstanding in the painting Gary. I really like the way you painted the van as well. Great job with the atmosphere in the AARP painting. The eye gets sucked all the way back. Love the backlighting in the sky and you did a fantastic job with the figure and dog.

Wes

CaliAnn

Both are lovely. I LOVE that first one! That giant weed is awesome, though I imagine a pain in the youknowwhat to the neighbors! The van is so well done. Love the sky and the figures in the aarp. Are these ones you intend to do bigger?

oldnmartist

Charming small paintings.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Thanks Wes, Ann & Oldnmartist. The tree is very attractive and its tiny flowers attract lots of bees. It is just that one must be vigilant not to live in a whole forest of them. I am sorry about the glare in the 2nd. It was the best view of many bad choices.

I am enjoying my return to small oils. Unless I stumble on something that I really like, I will likely not paint these in a larger format. These are painted on the Guerrilla Carton Paper and will go in a folder. I like to think of the folder as a loose leaf journal.

Thanks again, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

RandyP

Great work, Gary! I had to laugh at the name of the first one, especially after your description! I have one of those in my front yard thanks to my wife not letting me pull it up many years ago. It was growing in the same place where we lost an oak tree thanks to a storm, so she made me leave it. Now it drops berries and leaves all over the driveway constantly. The leaves aren’t bad, but beware parking under it when the berries begin to fall. A problem compounded by the birds eating the berries and roosting in the tree. A car left over night is peppered the next morning. :)

Randy

Skyenorth

Hi Gary, what kind of tree is this? I like the way the light lights up the back of the van and the tree, also the simple foreground of the road and it’s attractive pink colour. The sky is so nice in this one too. The second painting has me gazing off into the far distance to that lovely sky. It isn’t fussy just nicely painted so everything looks very fresh. Well done!

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                        Winston Churchill.

Pinguino

Nice lighting. In particular, I see that you incorporated some green into the low sky. On another WC thread, some of us were discussing that phenomenon, although in a slightly different context.

Thanks Randy. Maybe I should just be thankful that only seeds fall from my tree.

Thanks Caroline. I am afraid that I do not know the type of tree. It was fun to try these unusual lighting paintings. The pink glow in the first is the beginning of fire season in the American West. We will have beautiful sunrises and sunsets through most of the summer but at a cost.

Thanks Pinguino. If I saw the green in real life I might suspect that it was the eye searching for the complement of the red in the sky.

Thanks, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Bizzibee

Gary, I love how you lay down your paint. You seem to know exactly what you want to achieve and the results are always super. The tree in the first rightly deserves centre stage and I always love to see your vehicles.

I love the light in the sky in the second and the varied fg, set against those dark trees. That dog looks determined to take it’s owner for a walk!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks Bizzibee. Laying down paint is the joy of oils for me. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dcam
                                    Reddyman

Gary….both of these are just super.
                                        I think we can all agree that we all have been acquainted with the neighborhood ” menace tree” but they do account for such great focal points and you did it proud in your beautiful painting. Beautiful use of varied greens as always along with nice subtle light reflections throughout.

I must agree too that your second piece pulls me right back into the scene….just wonderful work on both

John

Thanks Derek for your kind words of encouragement.

Thanks John. It was very green in Utah this spring due to wet weather. Things are beginning to change and that does make for easier painting.

Thanks again, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

JoL56

Wonderful paintings!

Joachim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.