WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:00 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Art Supply Addicts Anonymous - 2017

My last-minute excess... second Blick order of the month, no kidding! Glad to have the camera running again!

Left to right: Richeson "Clay" color pastel board on gatorfoam. Pastel Horses Walter Foster book. Three brushes on the book, a big synthetic squirrel from Princeton, a 1/4" synthetic bristle from Princeton, a real squirrel size 2/0 quill from Isabey. Also box set of Pentel Arts Color Brush Set, one water brush and three preloaded black, sepia and gray ones. Cats Sketchbook is a satisfying one with lots of media included and some classical examples as well as modern projects, sometimes drawn from them. Below the books, 4 "Gelly Roll" pens in white. Last to the right, a 7" x 10" Strathmore Aqua watercolor block, cold press.

What a haul. I wound up broke, actually broke right now, but it doesn't matter. I'm not doing anything else in December anyway.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Last minute Christmas orders coming in.......

W/C : Daniel Smith 15ml Buff Titanium - never used this before, been painting at the beach lately and think this will be a good sand/stone base colour
Sennelier 10ml Naples Yellow Deep - as above. Made with PBr 24, no PW in it, beautiful yellow/gold ochre colour
Daler Rowney Artists W/C 12 x 1/2 pan Sketch box - never used this brand, love the heavier bi-fold metal box!
Golden's Q'or 12 colour Introductory Set - never used this brand before either
Dr PH Martin Hydus watercolours - Set 1 colours - never used these before, different mindset to tube/pan colour
Jackson's Icon 3 brush set - synthetic/sable mix

Oil: Daniel Smith Water Soluble Transparent Blender - 'colourless blending' medium. Not used this before
Talen's Cobra Water Miscible Oil Colour: Ultramarine - not used this brand before, luscious blue!
Jackson's Aqua Oil: Buff Titanium - not used this brand before, very reasonably priced
Schmincke Medium W Gel - converts traditional oil paint to water soluble

Should NEVER be reading this forum before gift time!!

Hope everyone has a great Christmas.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 04:47 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

On the contrary, always read this forum before gift time! Maybe your loved ones will take the hint and reciprocate!

Love that haul. Well set up for watersoluble oils and especially watercolors. Looks like a great haul! I love those heavy metal sketch boxes and sets that come in them, they are so easy to use and handle. They also stand up to feline intervention. I never tried the Hydrus watercolors, they looked intriguing. Those are the ones with lightfast pigments, right? They also make Transparent watercolors in little square bottles that have glorious colors and are dye-based, thus fugitive and used for illustration.

I got to see the illustration ones in action and mixing color was easy with them, my illustrator friend had a chart with "one drop of this, one drop that, three the other" formulas to create just about any hue. He used them freely and got beautiful effects from them. If the Hydrus work like those, they're very intense when used full strength.

On the oils, Ultramarine is so cool - you've got one of the best comparison colors with that. And the most useful, it's such a good mixer.

Oh wow. Now I'm really thrilled for you on the Hydrus set. They can be used in technical pens without clogging. There's probably a lot more things you can do with watercolor in that form than you could do with pans or tubes, stuff that takes liquefying them first. Spatters, blowing, calligraphy with dip pens, using it in fountain pens. Watercolor that won't clog pens. That'd be awesome.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 12-23-2017 at 04:55 AM.
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast

Looks like you both will have a fun christmas.

Robert, the book about ponies in pastel is now on my shopping list!

ic, great haul! All those watercolours...

You have both bought Qor. I am interested in hearing about your experiences with them. Some reviews says they are a bit harder to rewet when dried on the palette or in pans. Is it true? Are they bright?
  #140   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

I bought this set of White Nights watercolours in my local art supplies store. I had before that ordered 7 of the new colours.
These full pans is a new model that looks more like other brands.

Last edited by Minerva C : 12-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 06:32 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

White Nights is good watercolor! It's the same as Yarka Professional, artist grade watercolors at quite a modest price. I'm surprised they come in half pans, but your palette has room for more colors in it at least. I've got one of the 24 color assortments but get so tempted to get the other two, so as to have their full range. They're quite strong, easily rewet and full of light. Very good watercolors.

Nice spectrum range of full pans too! Love that Indian Yellow, it's very strong.

The first thing I did with my QoR was put some of it into my teeny tiny 2" x 4" travel palette, the pretty blue one. I have no trouble rewetting them. They come up easily to a wet brush or water brush and retain that dazzling brilliance. They do seem a bit more transparent and a bit lively, sort of like Inktense that way. I like them enough I'd probably get more and add to my horribly huge watercolor collection.

But then what I really need is a monster palette to hold all the colors and a complete range of Daniel Smith watercolors. That'd be a trip. Something to dream of. Will probably happen gradually over a decade or two. The monster palette will need to be created by a crafter.

Another happy note... a supply I got quite some time ago turned out to be so handy and useful I never leave it behind. I got a light blue Tikky mechanical pencil on sale from Blick. Just tossed it in to bump the order up to another discount level. Well, I'm impressed. That odd little pencil has wound up being the most convenient mechanical pencil in my collection. It's just an HB with skinny leads, but for under-sketching with watercolor and journaling it's perfect. I use it all the time. Not expensive but dead useful.

To my happy surprise, one of Kitten's horse shoeing clients gave me a Christmas present - a hardbound sketchbook! Not mixed media, just regular paper, but I started it off with four pages of sketching their critters. That touched my heart and I've now got it handy for all kinds of sketching. It came with its own pencil neatly tucked into a loop at the top. The pencil has a white vinyl eraser. Whoever designed that was brilliant, because Pink Pearl erasers have destroyed more sketches with streaks of ugly pink rubber.

So naturally I'm playing with that one with dry media and pens, but the first four pages have to stand as pencil done with the native pencil. I was thrilled.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 12-27-2017 at 06:37 PM.
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for information about QoR. I ordered a couple of days ago when I found them at a decent price.

Yes those watercolour collections... Watercolours are so appeeling.

The best eraser I have ever used are Pentel Ain and they are not even expensive. I pay 1 €. They are soft, don't leave any eraser on the paper and really erases all pencil from the paper. I bought some more before christmas and a Derwent battery eraser with a set of refills to use for detail and coloured pencils. It works great on coloured pencils.

I could not resist this set of the new Derwent Procolour with a pencil wrap but have not had the time to try them yet.

On Black Friday I ordered this set of Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolours. There is not much paint in the pans but I like that they are huge and will be good for filling with regular watercolours from tubes when they are empty. I have just made a chart this far and they was nice.

Last edited by Minerva C : 12-28-2017 at 05:37 AM.
  #143   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva C
I have bought F C Pitt Pastel Pencils and Hahnemühle Ingres pastel paper. Don't know anything about them or if this paper is suitable for the pencils. I bought them to try out.

An update on this FC pastel pencil set. I was a bit surprised to find that this is a landscape set. It does not say so, but there are not the regular colours for a 12 colour set. I was not planning to use them for landscapes so if I will draw with pastel pencils I will have to buy some more pencils. That was not the plan. Lovely selection of colours for landscapes though
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 PM
western New York

Hails from United States

I bought some more things on clearance:

4 WN University 1" brushes @ $5 each.
6 WN Cotman 3/4" brushes @ $3 each.
9 FC PITT Big Brush pens @ $1.95 each.
2 Dr. Ph Martin's India ink 12pks @ $10.95 each.
6 sheets of Arches 300lb. HP paper @ $1.65 each.
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:34 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Minerva, so cool! I like that Kuretake set, big giant pans look like they'll be a lot of fun at first and when you reuse them. Very cool for doing big loose paintings with a large brush. I've heard that Procolour are a bit like Prismacolor Verithin, pigment rich but firm rather than soft like Coloursoft. Good that they're artist quality, read up on them a bit. Let me know how you like them. Very cool erasers and electric eraser especially.

Too bad about the landscape set, but it's nice that you got some good colors in it. Hope you can get a regular 12 color set too, there probably won't be much overlap if it's like most landscape sets. You could always check the color lists to see if there is any. Still cool for landscapes though! And birds!

Marksmomagain, way cool! Oh neat you got both color sets of Ph Martins India inks, that's so fun. I have both sets too but in the larger bottles, gotten years apart. love that heavy Arches paper, stuff is like board or something, it's so heavy and stands up to anything. Neat brushes too. Stocked up on brushes looking at that, you like flats i guess! I like the Pitt Big Brush pens a lot. I have a set of 12 of those and they're great.