WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Pen and Ink Help Desk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#331   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 AM

Re: INKTOBER - for those who would like to share their work!

Potatocake - Exceptional Walking Dead drawings, especially "Stretch."
eeglug - Love your "Jolt." Nice callback to the earlier drawing of the guy with the jar stuck on his head.

Just one more drawing to finish up this afternoon. Can't believe we're at the end of the month already...it really flew by! I do think it helped me improve, and I tried some things I wouldn't do normally, so that's always a good thing. It's been fun, but my drawing hand definitely needs some rest.
  #332   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 10:50 AM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Great work Sheila and Ron. And thanks to everyone for the comments on my work!

website ,instagram
  #333   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Regarding lessons learned, I think 2017's inktober was the big leap for me for a couple of reasons: my first time doing it and I really developed the whole "story cartoon" style I use. I did my own thing, not following the prompts. Also my regular life was a little slow at that time last year so I had a lot of time to do more elaborate works.

For this year, my regular life schedule was busier and I was out of town all last week which made things difficult. I followed the prompts, which were all sketched out beforehand in pencil the month before. If I do this next year I'm not sure if I will follow the prompts - I might prefer to do something different from everyone else. I think when I draw everyday like this my hand loosens up a bit more and I don't have to warm up as much before tackling a final piece. I've been wanting to incorporate more use of areas of heavy black in my drawings and this inktober was only a partial success in that direction.

(Believe it or not, I've done work that's even more taxing on my drawing hand than the daily grind of Inktober when I worked as an animation assistant doing frame by frame drawings. That work is a real endurance tester...I had to wear bandaids on my index finger and thumb just to hold a pencil, it hurt so much.)

I did explore a bunch of different tools/materials this year. I think my favorite discovery was the Kuretake Bimoji brush pen. (Kuretake Bimoji Felt Tip Brush Pen for Manga/Calligraphy, Superfine Tip (XT1-10S)) It's a bit expensive but I love this pen. I used it quite a bit this month along with other pens and my old dip pens as well. Ideally I'd always use dip pens but the need to keep cleaning them is a real pain...but they are cheap and achieve a really crisp fine line, when properly maintained. Anyway the Kuretake pen is an awesome but pricey alternative.

I also used Prismacolor gray markers throughout and I really like them a lot.

Lastly I committed myself to using a Stillman & Birns Epsilon sketchbook. I accidentally ordered the wrong size book - I wanted the 7x10 but instead ordered the 6x8. I decided to just deal with it. It was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing when the drawing was just a simple idea in the middle of the page and a curse in some of the more elaborate scenes. I found myself having real troubles drawing at the very edge of the page or near the spiral spine of the book.

The community was a ton of fun, so many good pieces. It's very inspiring to see what others are doing and seeing fresh works on a daily basis is so great. The variety of styles was really refreshing and it definitely helped motivate me to carry on. A big salute to everyone who joined in this year!

website ,instagram
  #334   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Great work everyone!
10/31/2018

The activity just helps me get faster, and to trust that I can improve a rather weird looking pencil drawing with the way I apply my ink.
  #335   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

Kay, Michael, and Ron...Thank you for commenting on my work.
Wonderful work by everyone both in terms of creativity as well as execution. It has been a pleasure to visit this thread.

I am posting three sketches that I made today. I plan to do a few more after posting these.

Two of the sketches are of the Benares Ghat, one from the land side and the other from the river. The third sketch is of a sadhu or holy man, and there are plenty of those around Benares. All three sketches are based on photos taken by my wife on a very recent trip to Benares.

#336   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 05:47 PM

Last two. Happy Halloween!

Day 30: Jolt
Attachment 860791

Day 31: Slice
Attachment 860792
Attached Images

#337   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

I thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone's work for Inktober! Thanks for sharing!

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #338   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Day 31 - Slice

Maureen, thank you for hosting! This has been a lot of fun, and I feel it has helped me improve quite a bit, even though I missed a few days here or there. I feel a lot more comfortable using ink now, too.

Kay, I liked your idea of using gray ink in the fountain pen (since I already have a couple of black pigma microns), so I ordered gray ink plus a converter. My only question is, if I remove the blue ink cartridge, is there any way to save it for use another time?

Michael and Kay, thank you for your kind comments on my work!

Jan, I'm glad you came across this forum and thread. It would be great if there could be an inktober every month! But I know I'd never be able to keep this pace up, at least not with my current life's schedule. I'm already looking forward to participating again next year, and I hope you will join in, too!

Thank you to all the cool friends here in this thread, I'll miss being able to check in and see your newest additions. A few final comments:

Kay, enjoyed all your posts, although I must say the reflections on that coffee pot were amazing
Michael, I found myself looking forward to seeing what your creative interpretations would be for the topic of the day!
Ron, your violin girl's expression is perfect, and that's one of my fave pieces of yours
Weles, very creative, especially on the double glasses!
Attorney, more good figures as always. I especially enjoy the one from Oct 28, that for some reason looks Egyptian to me, even though I'm pretty sure it isn't!
Kemical, I love your giraffe, and I'm hoping you never send me a package, now that I see what is inside of your gifts!
Balaji, your gestural piece was really interesting!
Bonnie, it's fun when you post all your images, because it's like getting a big bag o' treats all at once
Potato, cool drawings, and the chain you drew on that one zombie piece is superb
Sheila, what a clever idea for a tree!

Great work everyone! See all of you around the forum sometime!!
  #339   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Great mix of styles and subjects.

Well done everyone!

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #340   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 06:14 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

arttorney, that's just lovely!
Balaji, always splendid images of places I'd like to see.
Kemical Reaxion, appropriately halloween-ish pieces
monarch, a wonderful blue loaf - I've loved all your works.

Here's my last: Day 31 Slice. A creepy one for Halloween

website ,instagram
  #341   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Poland

Hails from Poland

The last one:

So this is it, Inktober's finished. And I can't believe I actually survived the whole 31 days, 31 prompts and 31 stories.
This has been an amazing experience - seeing how I can finish the drawing even though sometimes I didn't even know where to start.
The lesson coming from this commitment is to just do it and see what it turns out to be - at least that's the most important lesson for me, as I feared the lack of skill, the lack of ideas and the lack of time. Now I realize how limited I was by all those fears.

On the other hand I thought IF I finish the whole month (which I didn't really believe I could do untill I started drawing the last one), I will fell much more proud, or delighted maybe, but I feel fulfilled the most. I've shown myself I can do stuff too

Your works guys are all incredible. I wouldn't even dare to choose a favourite, because I love them all.

I kept scrolling through the whole thread over and over again just to look at all your beautiful creations - just looking made me search for something leaving a mark on paper.
I'm looking forward to next year's edition already.

One more thing: I don't think I would be able to finish the Inktober without your inspiration and motivation, So thank you all for inspiring and motivating every day, both with awesome works and kind words.
  #342   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 10:36 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

monarch, I just took out the blue cartridge to save for later as I really didn't like it.

Oops, forgot to post mine for 'Slice', so here it is 5x8 using Micron 01 pen and Staedtler pigment liner on cheap sketchbook, painted on a 15 minute break from life (paring knife from the dollar store).

BBL to comment on all the ones for today.
  #343   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I always enjoyed Wet Canvas and learning from others' methods. Someone, please, keep kicking me in the pants to keep active! I love drawing and writing but I always end up doing some laborious paperwork and forget to do fun things to keep my heart and soul happy!
I'm very inspired by everyone's work and I've always loved the cultural differences in the drawings.
Happy Halloween!
Sheila aka Road Less Taken

-Helen Keller
  #344   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Inktober is complete! Even though I didn't always have as much time as I wanted/wasn't always satisfied with the results, I'm so glad I kept at it and finished them all. Great practice and very challenging.

Thanks for the nice comments along the way, I've really enjoyed seeing everyone else's work (even though I joined the thread a bit late.) I hope I have the stamina to try again next year for now-CLOSURE!

#345   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 11:48 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Po/cake - that's a very nice Gallery of your Inktober efforts! Nice!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**