Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub The shutterbug Pub, Monday, 18 November, 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Greenhill
        I had a wonderful day at Nadia’s farm shooting pictures of her 4 year old, thoroughbred Welsh Cobb, Andelain [FONT=”Georgia]”Aphrodite“[/FONT].
        Andelain is Nadia’s registered stud, and her horses are taking out championships all over Australia.

She also breeds a few calves, mainly for home family consumption.

I had to laugh watching her bottle feed one while keeping the other at bay by letting it suck her finger!

MY FLICKR
        OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
        The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Anonymous

Good day Mark, and any who visit later.

I enjoyed your photos. That sure seems to be a life requiring lots of hard work, but it appears that Nadia enjoys it.

From Sunday morning’s early walk…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 240mm, manual mode, 1/1250 sec, f/6.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

The sun had just gotten above houses and trees to strike this rose.

And just a minute or two later I took some shots of succulents a few houses down (I posted a cropped, B&W version of this one in the Patterns IN NATURE challenge)…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 140mm, manual mode, 1/640 sec, f/6.0, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

damar

I love these photos, Mark!
                The horse is gorgeous, and the calves are cute.
                (my son in law cringes when I say cows and calves are cute!)
                I can tell how proud you are of Nadia.
                Sweet!

Hi Dave!
                That’s your Yellow Rose of Huntington
                with a nice touch of sunlight and dew!
                I’ll head over to “Patterns” and check out your B&W crop.

Here is a shot of the falls and all.
                Most of the falls area was in shade while we were there, except the very top.
                You can see the diagonal on the left of the embankment shadow.
                I had to tweak the details out of the shadows, rendering it a bit washed out.
                The falls are 186 ft high

This steel truss bridge used to cross the Tugaloo River. The center span was removed when the new bridge was built to (I assume) allow boats to pass through.
                Similar to Ginnys,
                but not as pretty!

The span on the other side

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                Photos are ©2021

Mark, these are so interesting and so cool. I enjoy seeing this side of life. I love asking people like this questions about their jobs, tricks of the trade, accomplishments and more. As compared to looking at downtowns and high rises, these images are so calming and tell such a nice story. And like always, your captures always tell a good story whether they include a caption or not.

Aphrodite is a beautiful horse. What type of competitions does her offspring compete in? How do you know Nadia? See, I am loaded with questions.
                Thanks for starting the daily.

Dave,
                Your lovely yellow rose makes me miss ours though there are some frozen ones outside our house that might make for an interesting shot. Problem is that I don’t feel like getting all bundled up and going outside.

I was ready to spend the whole day listening to a WEBINAR from Luminar Photo Editting software. They just released Luminar 4 and the software has a lot of AI features in it. Some really good stuff. However, they are currently having trouble in their LIVE FEED, so it is time to take a break from the computer. I shall tell you more about the Luminar software later and also a new CHEAP Photo Editting software that I think you would all enjoy. Mike Moats, the instructor at the conference I went to on Saturday uses it and loves it. I am checking it out first before I tell you all more about it. But I really feel that it is worth the few bucks that it costs.

Patty,

Great angle and color in the middle bridge photo.
                Love the rusty colors.

Wow, that waterfall is tall. I love the roaring sound of the water as it comes crashing down. I like seeing the people in the photo. It certainly adds perspective and reference to the height of the falls.

Has anyone heard about the barge that moved after being stuck at the top of the Niagara’s horse shoe falls? Here ‘s a video: https://weather.com/news/news/2019-11-03-niagara-falls-iron-scow-dislodged-by-storm

Well, off to find a photo to share.

LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Greenhill

Dave, my first thought was, “iffin it ain’t the yellow rose of Texas, I do declare!”, in a mental impersonation of Scarlet O’Hara!

Patty, that sure is a magnificent waterfall. the trees on top look like gum trees from here but I guess they’re not.
                    Removing the centre span of the bridge to allow boats to pass through sounds practical, even if it leaves vehicles marooned on either side … :D

Lorell, firstly, to put you in the picture so to speak, Nadia is my second daughter, after Athena, and twin to her brother Ben. I thought you would recognise Nadia from images recently posted of her on her Harley.
                    Her Cobs compete in State agricultural shows and Welsh Cob Championship events throughout the country, including dressage.

Edit:
                    Lorell, if you click the “Not now” button asking to create an account etc.’ on her Facebook, then you can view her website and get more information on her stud.

MY FLICKR

damar

[B]Patty[/B], that sure is a magnificent waterfall. the trees on top look like gum trees from here but I guess they’re not.
                        Removing the centre span of the bridge to allow boats to pass through sounds practical, even if it leaves vehicles marooned on either side … :D

If the trees are green this time of year they are conifers.
                        We do have gum trees; sweet gum and black gum.
                        The sweet gums turn ghostly white when they die. I have seen
                        photos of gum trees in AU like that too.
                        (I think?)
                        Sweet gums have these spiked balls that can shoot out from under a mower at 200mph! LOL..no fun to walk on either!

Bridge: they re-purposed the center span somewhere else, not sure.
                        But I also have the photo of the replacement bridge and its not much higher.
                        Water Skiiers Beware!

Lorell, thanks for that link to the barge!
                        I sent it to DH’s work station PC
                        (downstairs)
                        He’ll most likely remember that being there.

From yesterday’s trip
                        The point where I shot this casts a shadow on the adjacent
                        topo.
                        Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mnts

That big tangle of colorless foliage in the lower right is the infernal
                        Kudzu vines going dormant for the winter.

Photos are ©2021
                        Greenhill

Thanks for the update, Patty. :thumbsup”

For a couple of hours it’s now back to bed for me. Zzzz !

MY FLICKR

Well, instead of posting a photo here, I thought I would show everyone what I was doing today in another thread here in the shutterbug forum.

So if you go here, you’ll see some amazing tricks that a piece of photo editing software can now do.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21696233#post21696233

LORELL

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Greenhill

Well, instead of posting a photo here, I thought I would show everyone what I was doing today in another thread here in the shutterbug forum.

So if you go here, you’ll see some amazing tricks that a piece of photo editing software can now do.

[url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21696233#post21696233[/url]

LORELL

At risk of sounding too blasé, I’ve been replacing skies in photoshop for years, my dear! :D LOL

MY FLICKR

At risk of sounding too blasé, I’ve been replacing skies in photoshop for years, my dear!

We all have, I think.
                                But can you do it in just 2 clicks?

damar

We all have, I think.

I’m a sky snob! I have never replaced one!
                                    Carry on!
                                    :lol:
                                    (all kidding aside, I just don’t do digital manipulations)

Photos are ©2021
                                    Greenhill

I’m a sky snob! I have never replaced one!
                                        Carry on!
                                        :lol:
                                        (all kidding aside, I just don’t do digital manipulations)

PURIST You! :angel:

MY FLICKR

Greenhill

We all have, I think.

Three I think … :smug:

MY FLICKR

damar

PURIST You! :angel:

Hahah!
                                                I’m a bit lazy!
                                                I try to do what I can with the camera and spend less time looking at my PC screen!
                                                I’m still running CS3 Extended, which goes to show
                                                1) how cheap I am
                                                2) how little I want to massage photos!
                                                :eek:
                                                Some folks do beautiful work with their
                                                digital darkrooms and that’s great!
                                                The light intensity and the clouds should
                                                look right for the subject.
                                                Most of our summer months are colorless, hazy skies and I
                                                just accept that and then I don’t have to spend countless hours
                                                fixing all my summer sky pics!

Photos are ©2021
                                                Greenhill

From yesterday’s trip
                                                    The point where I shot this casts a shadow on the adjacent
                                                    topo. Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mnts

I like that view of the mountains, the shadow adds contrast. :thumbsup:

Btw, I run the Extended CS3 version too.

MY FLICKR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.